IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

I don't use USB for Audio myself, as it is flawed, and you can spend more than the cost of your computer trying to extract the best from it. I use well implemented Coax SPDIF from an Asus Xonar soundcard into a highly modified X-DAC V3 which has an isolating transformer at it's input. . As for the USB memory stick when using a Regen with a modified USB cable (no +5V) , and even when powered by a Super Regulator PSU, it still can't match the SQ from the same music saved to an internal SSD powered by a 12V to 5V Regulator followed by a John Linsley Hood designed shunt regulator, when both are played from System Memory using A.S.I..O. and cPlay. When both versions are burned to the same CD-R and played via an Oppo 103 used as a transport into a higher quality DAC, the SSD version STILL sounds better, and which version is which can easily be identified with non sighted listening.

I don't give a rat's anus whether you believe me or not.

+1

Didn't i read that you cant use SPDIF for DSD?

I can definetely here much improved audio from dsd files.

That is correct about not being able to use SPDIF with DSD, however if they put a fraction of the effort into further developing SPDIF or i2s ,that they have into making USB Audio more viable for Mac Mini users, it could more than likely do just as well, if not better, without additional in line add-ons.

I don't need or want DSD, as I believe that it is no better than well implemented 24/192 with a DAC that has superior output filtering, and it is highly unlikely to remain any more than a niche product with musical content limited to mainly a few genres. I can't see it becoming mainstream without the support of the Majors.

Re my 2nd last paragraph that you quoted.

Dennis (esldude) will soon be making available for passing around between genuinely interested members, a comparison CD for those members who still have a high quality CD player, and a better than average system, to see if they are able to hear the differences that several other Sydney C.A. members, including Computer Audiophile (Dr. David L) are so readily able to hear via their well above average gear. Any members that are genuinely interested should contact Dennis directly.

I usually agree with your opinions, but not on this topic. But i will agree to disagree with you (grin).

I firmly believe using the same hardware (something that supports both PCM and DSD), and using native DSD "professionally" recorded material, will sound MUCH better than a PCM recorded file (on a totally different level, that anyone would agree on any double-blind test). There may be some poor DSD recordings and some great PCM recordings that would be an exception, but that would be the exception.

I do agree it will never win over mainstream, but i don't think redbook wins over mainstream either. i am talking just audio quality, not popularity.

Barry would be highly unlikely to even fully recoup the cost of his Soundkeeper 24/192 recordings, let alone make any worthwhile profit from them after paying the artists. Barry's Soundkeeper recordings are quite infrequent, and a labour of love. They are not his day to day occupation.

that sounds like a good second reason for bias (grin)....

seriously, i am happy to agree to disagree...my ears tell me differently..

Only a few well heeled Audiophiles are likely to get rid of a far better than average DAC to buy a new DSD capable DAC in order to get a limited selection of DSD material in genres that may not be of interest to them.

Not arguing that point either...especially if one is heavily invested and will lose their shorts in resell, added to the fact all their music is PCM. Again, i am just talking what has better audio quality. I am not saying who will buy in, or which is popular. I am just saying that if someone wants the best possible today, money and bias aside, that properly recorded and played 512K DSD will sound MUCH better than properly recorded and played 192K PCM.

Although i wouldn't believe anyone that said differently, I am curious though, what is the opinion of the major manufacturers of highend dacs that sell both PCM and DSD dacs? Which do they say is better?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
All this chaining prompts me to ask: where are we in the progress of making the USB interfaces within DACs more robust?

A $1000 teac NT503 has true galvanic usb isolation and supports ethernet and usb and 4xDSD. I would hope that nothing over $500 in future dacs would require any special "usb toys".

Isolated Grounds for Digital and Analog Sections [TABLE=width: 618]

[TR]

[TD]nt-503_interior.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Between the digital and analog sections, the NT-503 employs a Digital Isolator to completely isolate each power supply path and the ground. All digital noise from digital sources, particularly a PC plugged into the USB input, is prevented from entering the analog section through a power supply path or the ground. An isolation circuit offers significant benefit particularly when playing back Hi-Res Audio sources that have higher sampling frequency.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Easy to say, but hard to prove. Not all galvanic isolation is equal. I wouldn't trust what the manufacturer claims.

harder to prove the "toys".

it would be easier for me to believe when teac says:

All digital noise from digital sources is prevented from entering the analog section

than "small shop" claims...

jmo