IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I do see MQA as having potential value added for those who stream or who use portable audio.

I believe that those consumers you mention are the ones mainly targeted by MQA and as you said the only ones who will truly benefit from such a transition.

Convincing people to rebuy their music collection in an age where owning music doesn't make that much sense on the wide public Is truly a dead end. Looking forward to a new age where pirating music will find true antagonist in affordable streaming as a better and even cheaper product (maintaining home was devices and purchasing gargantuan "sized" hard drives costs as much as years of a streaming service) and which could be implemented in portable devices as well as cars sounding better than CD I believe is a promising way of looking into things. Not only for the companies involved but also for the Music It self as an art commercial product.

Just look at how services like netflix are a success giving cheap accessibility to high quality content available literally on any device luring people away from illegal downloading and bringing profits to the makers of the content not by charging Much to a few but little to many.. That is the new way to look into things and for sure owning music is nice to that future.

People Just don't buy music (and home video) that much anymore and It is because It costs a lot and they don't have to even If that means the risk of a ticket from their vendor o a (highly improbable) lawsuit.

Technology has made accessing quality content so very easy in our time and accessing the public making a profit during this procedure has to find new clever and efficient ways of doing so.

Time will tell.. But if MQA fails I am quite convinced that something very much like it will succeed in the future and storing music In our homes is nowhere included in that future..

If one buys the Brooklyn because of it's MQA prospect alone It is his own responsibility.

MQA or non MQA the Brooklyn is still a top quality product reproducing any format.

Concerning your comments about software availability of course you are right. If you carefully read my recent posts you'll find that we agree. Accessibility to a wide array of content is what will make or brake MQA's future. Of course owning content this time will not be a priority. As most of us are seasoned audiophiles already owning very big collections of music being used to that makes us at least for now alienated to a totally different way of consuming music. MQA's failure to talk to the hearts of the audiophiles a.k.a. most of us in this forum is something not to be taken as such because MQA's target group of customers is not us but the potential market of billions of smartphones and cars flooding our civilization..

Using Products like the Brooklyn to introduce this new format is mainly for marketing and impact making reasons and not because MQA are interested i the High End Market. Why hasn't Meridian tried introduced ultra high end implementations by other manufacturers except their own and stayed to the mid fi market with the Brooklyn? I believe it is because they think that is the most expensive price point they think it might have any real impact.

Of course if It ever becomes mainstream then It will be an other story as everyone will want it..

After 40 years as an audiophile having seen a myriad of formats, e.g., 8 track, cassette, vinyl, reel-to-reel, CD, mini disc, DVD-A/V, SACD, SHM-SACD, HDCD, XRCD, DSD, DXD, etc., come and (some) go, I am content with my digital music server and occasional playback of an actual disc.

After all, it IS the music!

You are so right.. The world is surely changing, anyone above the age of 35 can understand just how much and how fast it is. This does not mean we have to run after it.. Life is just too small for constantly reaching for future promises neglecting enjoying present facts..

The little MQA indicator on the Brooklyn's screen is the least important reason to choose to buy It. However for those of us who did It would be very nice to be able to play with It even If that means It was all for nothing in the end..

I prefer to remain reluctantly optimistic about MQA because that is just me. In the meantime i like you am enjoying this dacs tremendous potential in anything it reproduces from vinyl to DSD to Mp3!!!

Time will tell about the rest but I can assure You that i will sleep like a bird tonight..

Those 2L Fileshave been available for some time now.. What (rather impatiently) remains is the most crucial element, that of the BROOKLYN MQA enabling firmware so that true comparisons and listening impressions replace speculation and unexplainably vitriolic or enthusiastic comments about something no one at least in this conversation has any idea how It may sound at least through a high performance device like the Brooklyn.

Last but not least. Even If MQA exceeds expectations and truly sounds better than HD Audio (which It self was many times disappointing) there is the issue of software availability through the only channel that cam make MQA take hold which is streaming. That last most crucial element is what will take the longest time to be hopefully fulfilled. In the meantime I can not wait for this thread to discuss upon fact concerning MQA for a change, not that anybody here is to blame for guessing of course..

MQA Update: We have the MQA compliant firmware pretty much tested and ready to release - we are waiting to close few licensing formalities with MQA LTD and except to release the new firmware with MQA Decoder enabled sometimes next week.

Thank you for the patience Michal at Mytek New York

Well that week is almost due... Not that I am trying to be pressing but even though enjoying my music all this past week It would please me to have something new to play with.. Any updates?

Yes, but wait till tomorrow. I hope you can sleep... a015.gif

Marc

You bet I will.. I am so busy with the season starting at work and two kids to raise (yeah my wife works too) that I can not keep my eyes open further than 11:00 o clock..

I guess I will squeeze out a little time to play with my Brooklyn If I have to tommorow.. At least I hope so. :)

Well.. today the tectonic plates of MQA seemed to move a little bit.. If only they didn't move as slow as tectonic plates..

On the other Hand I am now realizing how spoiled we have become those last 10 years computer audio has risen and started evolving.. Something radically fresh (but not always radically new) kept emerging every one year and a half at most, keeping our minds and ears occupied and our wallets bleeding up till now..

And now suddenly everything at least in the audiophile level has become again serenely slow and almost assuringly "conservative" and we have to adjust our attitude to that I suppose..

I guess It is all part of the computer audio audiophile thing fianally maturing a little bit, not something necessary bad at least for our wallets..

I gave It a glance. A very impressive piece of kit. Must surely perform admirably but nothing radical unless someone considers the support of another allready introduduced monster sized format of questionable usefullness and of the latest fashion in the audiophile world even though of an older generation such as ladder dac architecture as Radical.

I guess we all have our criteria as to what makes us excited about a device. I my self consider Interesting and why not promising something really radically new with true potential for real life application as a priority in contrast to the vague quest of the holy grail of audio..

I am not judging the T&A dac's qualityof manufacture and potential performance but to my criteria It is conservative in the likes that all implemented has allready been there as with most other dacs at least out there a phenomenon that has been the motive to my previous coment..

We have reached to the point of perfecting and fine tuning what allready is..

The T&A though clearly impressive did not make the earth fell moving by any means at least for me.

Well MQA works here as well finally the little blue light litup!..

My first crude impressions are that MQA does not add something to the likes of information or dynamics. It does sound more "analog" than anything else -even dsd- to my ears though It did not blow me away by the first listen.

Come to think of It the very fact that It sounded more natural and relaxed than it's 24/352 equivalent with an Improved sound stage as a cherry to the top and all that at a size of a 24/48 file is mind blowing as a concept as well as an experience though It does not strike the listener to the face as a first impression. If It ever does manage to replace MP3 as a streaming medium yes It's potential is tremendous..

For my latter comment also blame the Brooklyn and It's amazing capability to make everything sound very natural and smooth and very dynamic squeezing every last bit of detail as well..

All an all It is the best and most mature firmware update to the Brooklyn so far and It was worth the wait. The Brooklyn is not only more handy with MQA but is also A lot cooler with the new display gimmicks.

As for MQA yep It sounds promising but only time will tell wether It will truly be more than something cool to play with our Dac's for now I am satisfied and contempt with my purchase of the Brooklyn.

MQA.jpg

Many of us will be interested in these comparisons.

How does MQA compare to the 192 kHz FLAC tracks?

E

The differences are subtle and have to do with quality more than quantity. MQA generally sounds more effortless and musical or "analog" if you like than any other format's version. Also the 3D sound staging sounds more focused and with better impression of depth than any other version of the 2L downloads i have compared.

How evident is that difference? That depends on the recording (It is more evident on more polished recordings) and I guess more obvious the better the system of reproduction used.

To my ears and system it sounded clearly better than anything else. Not "I am throwing everything else to the trash bin" better by any means" But "I would surely prefer the MQA version of an Album from now on" better especially if one takes the storage economy into account.

Yep and sonically it is the direction to the future (I do not dare say the future yet).

As a previous vinyl addict and being familiar with good analog as well as just how good "regular" digital has become yep MQA could be that little step remaining to cover the distance from digital to analog quality merging the best of both worlds flawlessly and in a uniform format of a logical and usable size (and hopefully cost..)

My final comment is that though evident MQA's potential and qualities mostly needs to be realized more than experienced..

• 2 weeks later...
I am using my Brooklyn with the jumpers and it made a world of difference with my preamp. I was not able to reduce the noise on the MC analog input with the jumpers so I ended up purchasing a step-up transformer that totally eliminated the noise. I paid $339 USD for a Parks Audio Budgie: Parks Audio Budgie 'Cinemag' SUT, that has allowed me to listen to albums again.

Another very efficient solution to the noise issue with low output mc cartridges is swapping the internal switching power supply with an external linear regulated one. This option provided by the manufacturer is very easy to implement and does not only solve the issue mentioned completely but also improves the overall sonic quality of the dac even further.

• 2 weeks later...

A+ Is free for a month and is the best player out there as far as I am concerned. It also incorporates streaming services like Tidal and will be able to up sample up to quad rate dsd If you like in the upcoming version.

Try it at least you'll get a free big chunk of the best affordable player out there (they say roon is better but It is very expensive..) for the mac.

• 1 month later...
Leaving only works if we turn into an industrial power house of manufacturing and innovation.

The government can't find its ass with both hands, only other people's with money... Now the poorest will suffer even more. Rights can be washed away.

And the EU will make us pay just to stop others leaving.

They sold it as patriotism to leave when it's just ugly nationalism.

Sorry I shouldn't post this here. Thanks again Mytek thread. I'll delete if it causes an issue.....

Us Greeks know firstyand how vengefull tose arrogant asses in brussels can be . But you have your own currency a still healthy economy (not compromised by Eu policies to make you submit) and your commonwealth Usa and other alliances. You did good to vote out even for the wrong reasons Iceland did and at a cost and look at them now, Poland doesnt want the euro anymore and switzerland withdrew their application to join.. In time youll realize youve made the right choise to cope out of this rotten corpse EU haz become. Fear would be to remain trust me and do not be afrai.

Acually we also voted out (kind of) last summer but were brutally bullied down to submission despite the crushingly rejective out come of our referendum..

Having no economy of our own left drinking the EU poison (with joy untill six years ago I must admit) for too long an being carelessly governed.. Anyways It is my belief that the Greek people have come to terms with the Idea that our country is typically under occupation..

We fought bravely but we lost.. Now we try to make the best of the reality that has dawned upon us and try to choose the less evil... But after what my (our) eyes have seen If we had the opportunity and the ability to do what you did, there would be an all week celebrations everywhere in the country with everyone merrily exchanging hugs.. If you only knew... what evil you just took your self out of.. and what joy and hope you silently gave to hundreds of millions of Europeans (yup not only greeks..).

I my self thank the proud people of the uk for this punch in the face you gave to those corrupt bureaucrats who practice capitalism like communists who want to turn this continent to an undemocratic hell worse than china...

Sorry to the moderators and readers for my off topic posts but I could not control my self this time..

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I own both the Ifi I dsd black and the Brooklyn. Though the  Ifi I dsd black is stunningly good (It beats my now sold mytek 192) in a direct A-B comparison there simply is no doubt That the Brooklyn is the winner hands down. It is at least twice as good to my ears and begs for a system worthy of showing the difference. And all that is said without taking Its amazing phono stage into account which could justify the price of the brooklyn on Its own. 

I dont like software upsampling of any kind.To my ears this method makes my music library too homogenized and lacking variety. Come to think of It variety and faith fullness to the original is part of the Ifi bit perfect philosophy.      I am curious to try the upcoming hardware upsampling of the Brooklyn though despite being uncertain I would like the result.