IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

46 minutes ago, Leeuwarden said:

DAC+ must be very dissapointing since nobody writes about it...

It's not big enough of a change from the original...

Personally, I am beginning to look to moving on soon as I've become less enamored by MQA. I waited a year for Tidal to pick it up, etc., but the catalog isn't that deep nor, to me, does it always sound better -- sometimes yes/sometimes no. Outside of MQA, there are other DACs I like more.

14 minutes ago, Leeuwarden said:

Have you tried?

Not at length -- just a few minutes at RMAF booth. Personally, as I am considering abandoning MQA as a requirement, I am focusing on trying other units at present.

To more precisely state it, I am opining that -- the first Brooklyn was groundbreaking in terms of being MQA native, etc. The + does not offer enough incremental improvements, based on description, to warrant attention from the press, etc. Of course if there's a groundswell of people being blown away acoustically, this will change, but the burden of proof is on the new upgrade.

8 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

How deep does the MQA catalog need to be.  Have you looked at this Meridian link?  http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268318#Post268318

Is over 5000 MQA albums not enough to get ones attention?  Most, so far as I have looked, are available via Tidal by searching in Roon.  

The link will open a .CVS spreadsheet.

This is a matter of personal music preference... I am primarily (67%) a Billboard top charts listener / 33% favorites accumulated over time.

I've found maybe only two tracks with MQA since June in terms of weekly BB Top 100 (though I cover only maybe 50 of 100), Pop or Hip Hop charts.

Sure I can go out of my way to find quite a few MQA tracks, but I religiously believe in technology making the music I like sound better as opposed to selecting music that sounds better on the technology. Just a personal preference.

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

Given that the majority of the Billboard Top 100 probably has a Dynamic Range below 8, I am not sure MQA or any other tech will make them sound good!

That's part of the disappointment... my expectations (perhaps naively) were that it won't just be a format change (for given that, how can a format change alone positively impact the uncompressed PCM?), but that we will get content actually mastered for MQA.... like when something is remastered for issue as a maxi single.... Kinda like when 1080p was introduced, studios starting issuing movies in true 1080p....  (And now 4K though the ramp up is slower.)

Anyway, not to detract further from the Brooklyn discussion -- I still feel the original was great for MQA (and the + probably better)...

MQA aside, my poor RMA experience and also reports of poor communications from others (such as on the amp)  is also detracting somewhat from the shine, so I will not be testing the + nor the Manhattan.

16 minutes ago, LaurentS said:

I have a question regarding sound volume with the Brooklyn. It is my first DAC with a preamp but I have connected it to my integrated amp, so I should not need the preamp function. Question is : how do you bypass/disable the preamp in the Brooklyn ?

There is a Bypass (On/Off) setting between Vol Control (Digital/Analog) and USB Volume (DSBL/db/Win).

If you find the +10 dBu output too hot for the amp, you may need to install the resistors to bring it down to +4 dBu.

1 minute ago, PMJ72 said:

Still no reply on the ticket, but guessing they are at show or something.  

If anyone can chime in on this question I would appreciate the input.

I have been told that if I use a Microrendu I would effectively bypass the issue with the Mac OS X and DSD over DOP frequency limitation. 

Since the file or music is networked to the Rendu and then the Rendu sends the USB to the DAC.

Thanks for all of your help!

Support ticket is not too reliable in my experience.

Call their NYC #... it's a bit hit-or-miss (it gets forwarded to Michal's cell phone when no one is in office)... but if it's a hit, you will likely get a definitive answer quickly.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, 57gold said:

labjr, you'd have to ask Michal on the power supply choice, but I suspect that he was designing to a price point.

As it stands the Brooklyn and its predecessor, the DSD192, have more high quality features than most any other DAC - preamp, phono stage, quality analog attenuator, femtoclock, headphone amp, and about every input/output under the sun...for a reasonable cost.  

Also dual voltage support is easier for switching. 

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, EVO2point0 said:

Hi guys.

Another Brooklyn DAC user here.

Can you guys play DSD256 through USB ? 

I tried to play DSD256 version of " Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia" which I downloaded from http://www.2l.no/hires/

Direct link to DSD256 file: http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-106/2L-106_stereo-11289k-1b_04.zip

foobar2000 says.. "Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 705600 Hz not supported by this device".

I can play DSD64 and DSD128 version no problem.

That looks like you're trying to go DOP (bec 705.6/768 needed to encapsulate 44.1/48 into 4x DSD into DOP).  You need to use native DSD via ASIO.  I no longer own a Brooklyn, but I did get this to work back when....

1 hour ago, EVO2point0 said:

foobar2000 is set to play native DSD via Mytek ASIO.

I am stumped bec if it wants 705.6, that corresponds to DoP for DSD256.  One final thought to confirm... Tools > SACD shows Output Mode set for DSD and not DSD+PCM?

That's the only other thing I can recall from memory of Brooklyn.

I've since switched DACs to one that supports 768kHz input, so I now use DOP exclusively for increased stability over ASIO (it can do DSD256 with 768kHz, just not DSD512 but I have no DSD512 at all).

4 hours ago, EVO2point0 said:

As it can be seen from the screenshots below, output is set to ASIO: Mytek USB Audio with SACD output mode set to DSD.

V8UmMi8.png

YPYcqVL.png

I am puzzled.  I do have one last far-fetched suggestion (though if others have better ideas, I will gladly yield!) -- It won't solve the problem directly but it may give a clue as to whether it's the driver or foobar2000.

Try JRiver. (30 day free trial avail).

Instead of selecting the ASIO driver, just select the normal WASAPI driver.  (JRiver can play native DSD through a WASAPI driver, similar to the way ASIO4All does it)

The other key setting is under Options > Adui > settings > Bitstreaming: [set to DSD]

If this works, then there is a path with a different program and a different driver (WASAPI instead of ASIO). Then try switching to ASIO with JRiver... 

6 hours ago, EVO2point0 said:

Just installed JRiver and configured for native DSD playback.  And it plays DSD256 just fine.  It definitely seems like a foobar2000 related.  Thank you for the input and advice.  Greatly appreciate it.

It is likely some combination of components and settings as opposed to the core foobar2000 bec I recall testing this a few months ago over the summer with Brooklyn and all was fine then.  It definitely feels like something is turning on DOP mode.