IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Octavius: How long ago did you order your Brooklyn? It has been exactly one month since I placed my order, and am still waiting on mine.

I got one that was ordered by a buyer who changed his mind and went for the Manhattan.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

Thank you for the post and looking forward to reading your review once you've had a chance to listen to the Brooklyn in your system for more time. I'm hoping to get an update on when I should expect mine to arrive soon.

+1.

Has anyone else noticed the hum that markwb reported?

I'd also like to know if using an external linear PSU has any positive impact in reducing or even eliminating this hum.

Thanks!

Groucho Marx

Quick update-

-I had the same cord issue as discussed here but left it in. I replaced it today with another generic cord and not only did it seat better in the unit, it also solved the 'buzzing' sound. I suspect a bad ground.

Good to know that. Hums or buzzes have the potential to drive me crazy! :)

Groucho Marx

One of my wishes is though that the UI can be switched off completely. It's nice to look at, but much nicer to be unnoticed.

Marc

I agree. Although there is a screensaver mode, the possibility of switching it off completely would be very interesting IMO.

Groucho Marx

It has several colours.

The level graphs are green with some info in yellow.

Most of the info/ selectable options are white. When you are selecting/ changing an option the colour changes to blue.

The screen saver mode is all white.

IMO it is rather nice but, again, the option to turn it off completely would be welcome.

PS The Mytek logo colour and intensity is adjustable

Groucho Marx

My first impressions are very positive but I'd rather write a mini review after the initial burn in period.

I also considered ordering an HDplex100 PSU but decided for a lower noise albeit more expensive Qualiaphysic one.

It is supposed to be delivered early April...

Groucho Marx

This sbooster is rated just 3A which is below Mytek's recommended minimum (4A). Not sure this will work well in the long run especially driving headphone amps...

Totsipaki did a test with a low current external PSU (rated 2.5A) and after a couple of hours that PSU ran out of juice!

Groucho Marx

I just tried it. The problem stays the same. DLL is missing

Can perhaps someone sent me a working control panel driver?

Maybe the one on the Mytek site is broken...

Most certainly the dll that is missing is not part of the Mytek Control driver but part of your windows OS. If not no one else could have successfully installed Mytek Control in their PCs running win 7!

As a first step I'd update the Win OS in your PC.

Groucho Marx

@Karin,

You must have misread what I wrote.

I didn't conclude that your PSU would not have enough power to match the Brooklyn DAC. I simply expressed some doubts, which were quite reasonable IMHO, that it would.

Glad you are adamant about its suitability though.

Thanks for clarifying the matter!

Groucho Marx

Before deciding on ordering a Qualiaphysic PSU I asked HDPlex about using their PSU with the Mytek Brooklyn. This was their answer:

"The 12V can support more than 7A if you only use 12V since the R core

transformer is rated at 160W."

So if Sbooster are really referring to the 160W HDPlex PSU this is certainly quite confusing.

Groucho Marx

The German magazine HIFISTATEMENT reported loss of bass power and drive with the Sbooster in comparison to the Mytek PS.

Matt

Perhaps that indicates that the current supplied by the Sbooster, despite all Karen's theoretical explanations, may not be quite enough for the Brooklyn after all.

Hope to be able to test it for myself some day as I'm genuinely intrigued.

Groucho Marx

Humans are gifted by our creator with a highly sophisticated hearing system. In the end we judge all our gear by hearing and want to have equipment which is fun to listen to. So power supplies can be regarded as black boxes. We just listen to these black boxes and if it sounds better, it is better.

Matt

Well despite having some curiosity on how these black boxes do work I agree with you that if it sounds better than it is better.

PS the last time I went to a live music event was last Friday. Rachmaninoff and Mussorgsky and I really loved it!

Groucho Marx

MQA Update: We have the MQA compliant firmware pretty much tested and ready to release - we are waiting to close few licensing formalities with MQA LTD and except to release the new firmware with MQA Decoder enabled sometimes next week.

Thank you for the patience Michal at Mytek New York

That's great news Michal!

Thanks for the update.

Groucho Marx

To me the great appeal of MQA is the possibility/ promise of getting truly good SQ in a streaming service.

I'm a Tidal user and although not bad in terms of SQ IMO it's still a few notches below that of local files played via USB asynchronous. I'm hoping MQA will at least help to close the gap.

Groucho Marx