IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Anyone any experience with MQA source material? I have, my first MQA download from L2 (Carl Nielsen Piano music). It plays fine, but no sign of MQA on screen. I expected some recognition of some sort.

Marc (quite new here, but working with computers since 1980)

I bought the same album from 2L and asked the same question. I think (hope) there must be a firmware upgrade coming to activate MQA. I have asked Mytek but not yet had a reply.

As I'm curious about MQA I bought a Meridian Explorer² also. This USB dac sits at my pc and doesn't show a green or blue led when playing tracks from this album.

I don't hope for a firmware upgrade, because I can't apply it with my Linux environment. At least not now. I asked Mytek about that, a Linux version of their Control software is on their to do list.

Marc

I learned from an answer to a ticket that the Brooklyn currently does not play MQA software. A firmware upgrade will enable that. No problem, except that those firmware upgrades need a Windows PC or a MAC, neither is to be found on my premises.

A nice side effect is, that I now can listen to the non-MQA part of the music that I bought, so that I better can judge what MQA does in my set after applying the firmware upgrade (if ever).

Marc

Hi Michal, thanks for the update! MQA was born in public about a year ago, and I have followed it since. Promises about its appearance in streaming services have emerged, but did not realize in time. Now we can finally buy some MQA music, and a terrific MQA dac (yours), and then... it does not unfold its magic wings!

You can imagine my disappointment.

I bought the Brooklyn for its MQA capability, and I was surprised by its performance with my humble cd rips, that alone lets it already shine.

Please take your time for testing. I have worked in the ITC business long enough to know how important that is. Overlooking something is so easy. And planning in IT is so... difficult.

Have a nice time at CES.

Marc

Did so. I have read much more about MQA, and one thing that I learned in my audio 'carreer' is, that nothing compares to your own experience. I have listened to MQA in a demo, and, mind you, I was not very impressed. Now, despite all the misschief, I give it a try in my own set.

And if it does not do what I hope for, the Brooklyn does something I was not prepared for: it is musically involving out of the box.

Marc

Thought so too. I borrowed a laptop with Win10. The software installs fine (as it does under Linux Wine), but running Mytek Control gives an error with some hex number and stops. With Linux it complains that it can't find winusb.dll. That is more clear but nontheless unusuable.

Why o why don't they give those units an option to upgrade themselve? Too difficult?

Anyway, that can only be installed via a firmware upgrade. There is a hole in my bucket...

Marc

Did you also install the USB driver on the WIn10 laptop Berg trying to run Mytek Control Panel:

MytekUSB2BrooklynDrv.v3.29.0

Thank you for your help. Not install this driver is almost impossible, so, yes, I did.

But in the readme there is a warning that both Mytek Control 1.0.1 and the new USB driver need the new firmware. Maybe this is the problem here.

I created a ticket and hope that Mytek can help.

Marc

Nice. no, verry nice to hear this, Totsipaki. So, the new firmware activates MQA, even with a possibily to set it off or on!

Now I can't wait for a solution for my bad luck with the Mytek Control, even with a properly installed Windows 10.

Anyone else here with such bad luck and Win10???. Mytek Control 1.0.1 just ends with an hex error without even produce the Control screen. Weird!

Marc

Even though I dislike Apples marketing policy and find windows 10 much improved and useable after so many years i think you should try a mac sometime. It is much more easier to use, much more stable and fuss free as a platform and definitely sounds better as a digital transport.

A used mac mini you can load with lots of ram is a very good and cheap alternative..

Yes, I know many people with a Mac just for music, so this might be the way to go. From Mytek I got a new version of Mytek Control that doesn't even install, and prevents the 1.0.1 version to be re-installed after that.

But I'll wait a bit longer, because even with Windows 10 something must be feasible...

Marc

Yes a mac is the best thing after an Aurender Streamer (If only they had an affordable one..) I hope you soon find a solution to your windows 10 issues..

Well, I own a (no... three) Olive 4's, mostly because it can handle classical music in a proper way. Initially it sounded mediocre, but with help from some friends it changed into a music server that in most aspects outperforms the Brooklyn, in impact, depth, width and musicallity. I bought the Brooklyn for MQA, the other aspects are boons. I must say that the Brooklyn is not very different in sound, and in the highs it is surely better.

But without MQA I would not have considered the Brooklyn.

Marc

Marc - I can appreciate your optimistic outlook, but don't think you're being realistic by expecting the Brooklyn DAC to "outperform everything." I haven't heard it myself but it sounds like a great performer and high value DAC in any case.

Bill, what I seek in audio is involvement, emotion, attractiveness. The Brooklyn fits the description. What I don't seek is impressiveness, in your faceness, exagaration. And not at all fatigue, sharp high notes, stress. (Who does?)

My Olive had the latter character when it came, but I learned it to behave.

Marc

I like to thank those who sended me Mytek Control Program (MCP) 1.0

From a ticket I learned that newer versions of MCP are backward compatible, so you don't need an old MCP for an old firmware.

Mytek is of great help too, so I expect to get over my misfortune soon.

The MQA no lock story seems to me a timing problem that plagues the Brooklyn from the start. My line input has never shown something else than no lock.

What Totsipaki says about the Phono input makes me very curious to explore it myself.

Marc

+1

As I bought the Brooklyn only for its MQA promise, and considering my update problems, I dearly like to know whether or not full MQA capability is, or should be, provided. Now with two updates with a MQA sign on screen, it's a bit alarming that it still doesn't work.

Marc

Okay, it was me who bought the Brooklyn just for its MQA feature. All other features, that is, those that I'm interested in, are already beuatifully covered with other stuff that I own. Nevertheless, if the Brooklyn is a better contender also for those features, so the better. That's why I ask for the more precise technical information about the MC and MD phono trap. Maybe that can be included in an updated manual, I would cherise that.

Marc