IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Just wondering if anyone is using a Mytek Brooklyn with HQplayer? Preferred settings for PCM and DSD? I have plenty of power to use any filter to DSD256.

Thanks!

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I've been waiting three weeks. They charged my credit card in full when I placed the order. Then Michal promised me ten days ago that it would ship that day or the next. Still no sign of it, and total radio silence. Perhaps I misunderstood—I thought Mytek was a real company, not a Kickstarter campaign.

I ordered/paid on January 9. I tried via email a couple of times to get info, but didn't get a response. I called on Friday and talked to Michal who said it had already shipped (in fact it was in the mail carrier's truck as we spoke). Headed to the post office on Tuesday to pick it up. They are direct shipping from Poland.

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Mytek makes great products and has for years since Michal designed for Sony. I've had nothing but excellent interactions with him in the past. I think Mytek may be regretting the decision to try to deal direct, but I also think they didn't anticipate the demand for this new DAC. I'm looking foward to giving the new one a whirl when it arrives. I'll be comparing it to a Auralic Vega (still DSD128...have been waiting for 9 months for a firmware update on that one) and a IFI micro iDSD which I can feed with DSD512. I like the feature set for the Brooklyn...just remains to be seen whether it is substantially better than the IFI...which of course is 1/4 the price.

Robert

Just out of curiosity, will the brooklyn run DSD256 using DoP as it stands now on Linux? I'm guessing not given it would need to be DSD512 capable? I'm using Linux HQplayer NAA's to drive my DACs...so I'm guessing this won't work for DSD256 from what you are saying.

Robert

Thanks this is very helpful. So theoretically mac users would be able to get DSD256 if they are using a Linux or Windows NAA with HQplayer?

Robert

I have and enjoy both. The only thing they are comparable at is their common musical and entertaining sound character and that they both are very good for the price asked. Despite those two there is no comparison The Brooklyn is far better in every aspect (as It should) and even though the Ifi is very competent and competitive at It's price It is no match for the far more expensive dac which is the topic of this discussion.

I agree that these comparisons are useful, but ultimately whether one experiences differences will be system dependent. I purposefully maintain two very different systems...they have very different characters. One is more laid back and expansive with airtight imaging and deep bass. This is where I choose to listen to large orchestral recordings, organ music, and sonic spectaculars. Its also where my main turntable resides. While the other system is more intimate for nearfield listening. Its fantastic with a vocal soloist and piano, or a acoustic jazz quartet. The music is very present and focused. I tend to listen to this system later at night after the kids have gone to bed...maybe my mood is different at this time of day, too. I'm curious to see how these two different systems resolve differences both between the Mytek and the IFI...but also with the much more similar Auralic Vega. I believe I saw a comparison between the Mytek and the Auralic somewhere at one point. These two DACs are much more comparable, using the same DAC chips (I believe). I paid about $1000 more for a used Auralic a year or two back. I'm intending to do the comparison both with the Mytek running at DSD128 (which is what my Auralic can currently do) and also with the Mytek at DSD256 (what the Auralic will hopefully do later this spring after its firmware upgrade). Now that Mytek seems to be getting caught up with Brooklyn shipping, hopefully the MQA/Linux kinks will get worked out and we will start to see some formal reviews coming out that help to place the unit in the DAC hierarchy.

Robert

Just wanted to report on my experience with Mytek. I ordered my Brooklyn on 1/9/16 while Michal was at CES. He was very responsive to my emails in spite of being crazy busy. He personally arranged for me to be able to pay via paypal. I didn't hear much after that, but when I called about two weeks ago he remembered my name and told me that my unit had shipped. Later that day he sent an email with tracking info. The unit shipped directly from Poland and arrived through USPS. Unfortunately USPS is hell for me...and it took me a week to extract the package from them...no fault of Mytek. Michal was very communicative as I went through this including making calls on my behalf.

I received the Mytek yesterday. The packaging was excellent as was the build quality. Its currently burning in. I'll report more on what it can and can't do at present later. It is a huge improvement on usability over their previous DAC 192 model.

Robert

I had no issue upgrading to firmware 1.45 this morning from win10.

Upgrade went fine with Windows 7. Couldn't get Mycontrol to work on a mac running 10.11.3.

Robert

Having now spent a weekend with the Brooklyn just wanted to record a list of what worked and what didn't for me. Thought that might be useful for other new users.

Mytekcontrol with Windows 7 worked well and I was able to change the display light, a number of settings, and upgrade to firmware 1.45 (my unit shipped with 1.42).

I tried to do the same in Mytekcontrol on a mac running 10.11.3 and no dice, the program wouldn't recognize the Brooklyn.

The drivers installed easily on windows 7 and the unit would stream PCM 384 and DSD 256 from HQplayer 3.13 driven by Roon 1.1 (build 102).

On the mac no drivers are necessary but requires DoP for DSD. Thus, it tops out at PCM 384 and DSD 128. Working well with HQplayer 3.13 driven by Roon 1.1 (build 102).

Linux is still a bit complicated...the ALSA drivers necessary for native DSD are in the process of being updated for the Brooklyn. Jesus has already pushed out an update for the Sonicorbiter SE...just today...working perfectly for me with non-DoP DSD256 from HQplayer. Results may differ for non-HQplayer interfaces, however. The cubox-i HQplayer NAA currently requires DoP and thus tops out at DSD 128 like on the mac...but an update for the driver should be available soon. I just received a link from Piero with the updated driver for Audiolinux, but haven't tested yet.

I'm currently burning the unit in for a week before starting to do any critical listening, but I like the interface. Its easy to move back and forth between using the unit to drive an amp and using it for headphones. Haven't figured out whether it is possible to decouple volume for headphones and amp when being played at the same time...but not sure why you would do this except for burn in. Easy to move between sources including the phono input and various digital inputs. A simple click on the volume wheel moves you between a detail screen and simple display that just shows the connection speed and the current volume assignment.

Over all, a huge improvement over the Mytek DAC 192 with respect to UI. Listening now to Roon (Mac) > HQplayer (Mac) > HQplayer NAA (Sonicorbiter) doing a DSD64 to DSD256 upsample...really nice...and working well.

Michal was incredibly helpful in getting me connected to users doing the Linux update work and in quickly answering questions via email.

Robert

Any new Brooklyn DAC owners listening impressions that can be shared would be appreciated.

I've been burning in the unit and onboard power supply for about a week now. I'm using it with my Sonicorbiter SE which allows it to do DSD256 with native DSD. Also works at DSD256 with Windows ASIO drives...but I haven't done anything other than verify that works...my windows machine just acts as a HQplayer server.

After three days I put it head to head with an Auralic Vega with a Regen also connected to the Orbiter.

I compared the Vega and the Brooklyn with and without a Regen upsampling content to DSD128 using HQplayer. I obviously also ran the Brooklyn at DSD256...but my vega still has the old firmware and maxes out at DSD128.

This was an early test...so I just listed to a single well recorded acoustic jazz track (a Modern Jazz Quartet remaster by Andrew Rose). The track is 24/48 and I used poly-sinc/DSD7 in HQplayer for the upsampling to DSD.

The Vega with Regen and the Brooklyn without Regen are very similar at DSD128...I'd give a slight edge to the Vega and Regen. BUT WOW! The Brooklyn really comes into its own at DSD256. This may be as much an effect of the medium as the player. I'm curious to pull out the IFI Micro iDSD for a DSD256 reference...but in general I've preferred the Vega at DSD128 to the IFI at DSD256 or 512. I don't hear the Regen bump for the Brooklyn like I do for the Vega...but I need to listen to a much larger variety of music...and music quality to be sure.

Also anyone that has used an outboard power supply vs the internal one.

I have a HDflex 100 arriving next week and will get it burning in right away...but will likely be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to start making comparisons.

The Brooklyn is a fantastic piece of machinery. BUT to get the most from it you will either need to drive it from a Windows computer OR use a linux or windows NAA (e.g., Sonic Orbiter SE) to get to DSD256 which is where you want to be.

Robert

The Brooklyn is a fantastic piece of machinery. BUT to get the most from it you will either need to drive it from a Windows computer OR use a linux or windows NAA (e.g., Sonic Orbiter SE) to get to DSD256 which is where you want to be.

Robert

Sorry if the above statement is misleading....you could also, obviously use a Linux box connected directly once the final native DSD drivers have been released (they are working in the Orbiter already) to get to DSD256. Just the Mac users (like me) will need an NAA...but it is well worth it.

Robert

No there are no filter settings on the Brooklyn. Maybe in later firmware or use hqplayer.

I guess the question is what filter if any is being used? At least Auralic is relatively transparent about this. It would be ideal to at least be able to turn them off so that one could select what you want in HQplayer or other filtering products...I believe some other products due this.

Robert

Mytek Control / Driver install worked fine for me with both Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and Windows 10 Pro (64-bit). I'm currently driving it in Linux (Sonicorbiter SE USB). Definitely plenty of bass on my system...the Brooklyn is much better than the 192DSD on my system...really not in the same class...have you burned it in? Needs to run continuously for 100 hours minimum. Email Mytek support about your installation issue...Michal was very responsive when I was trying to get Linux going.

Robert

I want to thank all of you for the kind help.

The Brooklyn went back to the vendor today.

The 192 dsd installed fine on Windows 10. No dll problems at all ☺

I like the warm forward sound of the 192. The Brooklyn had no synergy in my system, sure it was more revealing but in a way it was not listenable. I prefer musicality over an analytical over the top revealing system. Wheter the Brooklyn was broken, I do not know. In the end the two oled screens with different color tint, the poor quality of the volume / select knob and software problems triggered me to look elsewhere.

Dac suggestions are welcome!

Maybe some day I come back to Mytek.

In the mean time I wish anyone here on the forum a happy listening with their Brooklyns. Enjoy☺

Mike

Not sure how you were running it but there is simply no comparison between a Brooklyn running at DSD256 and a 192-DSD running at DSD128. Also burn-in is really critical with the Brooklyn. You need 100-150s hours on it...running music...becomes a completely different unit. I didn't like the brooklyn the first day...two weeks later it is really amazing. I evaluated a burned in 192-DSD...but it was no match for my Auralic Vega at DSD128...not really close...but then again the Vega was twice the money. The Vega has now been clearly beaten by the Brooklyn...once burned in it is another class. It will be interesting to see if the Vega makes a comeback when it is upgraded to DSD256...got a love note from Auralic yesterday and apparently they are ready to start doing the upgrades.

Robert

A HDplex 100W Linear Power Supply arrived today for my Brooklyn, etc. I'm currently using the 12V output for the Brooklyn and the variable 9V output for the Regen currently attached to the Brooklyn. I also plan to try the power supply with the Sonicorbiter SE (currently using an IFI LPS) driving the Brooklyn, but I believe you can only use either the 5V or the 9V output at one time. No problem using the 12V and 9V at the same time.

I'm intending to wait until I've burned in the power supply for a week before doing any critical listening tests, but the difference in the Brooklyn was dramatic even after 30minutes...better yet after 4 hours. The noise floor disappeared, transients particularly in percussion dramatically improved. The sound stage became deeper and the their was improved focus in acoustic elements. Honestly I don't know whether these changes are the result of the Brooklyn or the Regen getting better power, but I'm really excited to hear what this thing sounds like in a week. I'll obviously do tests with and without the Regen, comparing the onboard Mytek and LPS power.

All the above comments are for tracks that were upsampled to DSD256 using HQplayer polysinc and then delivered to the Brooklyn via the Sonicorbiter running as a HQplayer NAA. A couple photos of the setup are attached.

Robert

brooklyn.jpg

This is pretty normal for launch of a new technology. To be disappointed at this point just means that one's expectations were completely unrealistic.

I can't understand getting all excited about a technology like this when there isn't much software out there yet to support it. I could understand if maybe some favorite albums were already available in MQA or maybe if a streaming service offered it, but we're not even close to that. And there's also good chance MQA might need some time to mature. It might be *many* months before that happens.

My suggestion would be to just relax. You will have so many smiles once MQA gets up to speed that this delay will eventually seem so insignificant.

In my opinion MQA is happening at the speed of lightning...how many years was it from the first SACD to the first time you could download a DSD file? Hmmm...I wouldn't measure that in months! I'm guessing 2018 for MQA regular use...I'm optimistic.

• 4 weeks later...
Now, that it is more than 2 weeks ago that Michal at Mytek talked about the upcoming MQA-update in the then next week, we can speculate a bit on the reasons why.

My spokesman has a or the firmware version for his Brooklyn with the long awaited MQA-update, version 2.00. But the MQA-logo does not light up, when playing the 2L MQA testfiles. I asked if he used the analogue or digital version of the volume control, but he said that it did not matter.

He also said that after applying the update, the MCP software did not start up anymore.

I have read the Computer Audiophile - A Comprehensive Q&A With MQA's Bob Stuart

Maybe this has also something to do with the delay?

Maybe Michal will chime in?

Marc

Can your source that has the 2.0 firmware update confirm that it includes DSD 512 playback capability?

Robert

• 5 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone else is using the Brooklyn with the microrendu? I just received mine today and have started burning it in using my HDplex power supply for both. I'm currently sending upsampled DSD256 content to it via HQplayer. Effortless setup (but I've been a sonicorbiter user so I'm used to the configuration). More to report after a week or so of cooking.

Robert

Robert, when you're ready to report, please include some words about how the microRendu compares to the Sonicorbiter SE.

--David

I'll certainly do that as the orbiter has been my principle way of playing music since I got my Brooklyn. i only have 2 hours on the microrendu so far, but I've notice a couple of things:

1. The interface is identical to the orbiter (2.1)
  2. There is a loud thump when beginning DSD playback on the microrendu (not the orbiter) using HQplayer. This is like starting playback on an IFI DAC with the orbiter...but I didn't notice a thump with the brooklyn/orbiter combo.
  3. It's immediately obvious that soundstage depth has increased. My main system has Aerial 6Ts which are sound stage machines...the soundstage is simply amazing with the microrendu.

More to come in a week or so.

Robert

Has anyone had a chance to listen to a Brooklyn compared to a Lampizator DAC? I had almost made up my mind on the Mytek, but then my lust after a Lampizator popped up again. I was thinking about the Euforia and just upsampling all my PCM to DSD in software since I'd only be using it from my PC.

I'd also be really interested to hear about this comparison. I recently had the opportunity to hear Edward's (eurodriver) T+A at Larry's (lmitche) house. DSD512 on a pure DSD circuit was a real revelation. The Brooklyn has really great sound...but not in the same league as what I heard that day. Personally I never listen to PCM anymore on my Brooklyn...everything is upsampled to DSD256 in HQplayer...so the DSD512 module on the Lamp Euforia looks like an interesting possibility...also cheaper and easier to get than the T+A in the US. What I would really like to hear is a T+A vs Euforia DSD512 shootout.

Robert

Shame you didn't get to compare pcm (even a quick five minute test) during your recent meet up. Would have been helpful for those interested in pcm performance of both dacs. Yes, some of us still exist ;)

Maybe Larry did, while he had the dac...DSD was the reason we were all interested in the T+A because it is chipless like the Lampi DSD products. I'm guessing PCM is probably very similar to the Brooklyn. Honestly once you have heard DSD256 done well I find there is no going back to PCM...but then again I'm a vinyl listener. That said DSD512 is a whole different animal...a major step forward on the T+A...at least from what we heard that day.

Robert

You could be right about pcm being similar on the Mytek and T&A, but forum feedback I've read hasn't been unanimously positive regarding the recently replaced, older T+A Dac 8. Guessing that pcm performance is roughly similar with the newer model?

Anyhow, listening to the Brooklyn now and it's sounding dynamic and exciting with pcm. No complaints so far..

No doubt DSD is better but requires more powerful hardware too. Should hopefully update my pc later this year.

I'm upsampling to DSD256 with 5 to 10 year old multi-core macs...and a 3 year old multi-core windows machine that I bought recently for about $1000. However, when you upgrade go for a 4ghz i7 Skylake...that will get you all the way to DSD512 with no problem. The new T+A is an entirely different beast that the old one...but once again that's mainly because of the way it handles DSD.

Robert

Does it need to be 4ghz? I was thinking about an i7 6700T at 2.8ghz. The 35w tdp kind of appeals :).

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, figured the T&A must be special to make you sell your Brooklyn so soon.

Larry (or Jussi/Miska) can give you more info...but I'm pretty sure that processor would be fine for DSD256...but not DSD512. I have a 16 core e5 2.6ghz with massive L3 and it will not do DSD512. If I were you I would focus on moving to a machine capable of DSD512...given what I have heard...that is almost certainly what the high end future holds.

Larry recently built a very inexpensive PC for audio specifically to do DSD512...not sure whether he is sharing his recipe publicly or not.

Yes it is like the biblical story about the Tower of Babylon ;-)

Once you have heard DSD512 on a pure DSD circuit there is no going back. I seriously doubt that DSD1024 will be much better. There are many factors that suggest we nearing the end...including the fact that processor chips can't go much faster. That said, I'm sure in 5 years the equipment that does DSD512 will be a lot cheaper...but not necessarily better. At that point DSD512 will also be exploding into multichannel systems.

Robert