IGNORED

USB (or Ethernet) to AES/EBU converter?

The C.A.S.H. list has recommended converters for USB to S/PDIF converters, and for Ethernet to S/PDIF converters.

Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile Suggested Hardware List

But my soon-to-own professional studio monitors, Genelec 8351A, only accept analogue input and then the professional digital format AES/EBU. Then what?

I’d prefer an Ethernet to AES/EBU converter, but a USB to AES/EBU converter will also be interesting. I’d also prefer a unit with a volume control – and perhaps a source selector and an analogue input.

Does anybody have suggestions or tips?

Just came across this thread, which is packed with information (without mentioning AES/EBU in the header.)

Building a 8260A system to support both 16/44 and 24/192 playback

Still no mentioning of a product, though, that adds a volume control, and which takes input from Wifi.

I suppose some micro version of a professional studio mixer with USB and analogue inputs will be the way to go. But what do they sound like?

How do they work, seen from an audiophile perspective?

Thank you very much. This is indeed a website with many friendly people! :-)

If AES/EBU is a standard in professional music recording there really ought to be a number of cross-over products from the professional world. Digital mixing consoles with 1-4 channels and/or preamplifiers with USB and analogue inputs, a physical volume control and an AES/EBU output for active studio monitors. Much like the Benchmark DAC1 PRE had XLR output and was a preamp from music studios.

Anybody know any?

I’ve found other threads on this forum discussing the same issue. These have a few years on them, but they are interesting none the less. Here are links:

Building a 8260A system to support both 16/44 and 24/192 playback

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/best-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-audio-engineering-society-aes-world-wide-professional-society-devoted-audio-technology-european-broadcasting-union-ebu-professional-society-devoted-audio-technology-it-originated-europe-broadcasting-radio-and-tv-converter-16177/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/server-dual-audio-engineering-society-aes-world-wide-professional-society-devoted-audio-technology-european-broadcasting-union-ebu-professional-society-devoted-audio-technology-it-originated-europe-broadcasting-radio-and-tv-output-and-volume-control-14067/

Wow, DigiPete, I did not know that it was THAT easy to convert from S/PDIF output to AES/EBU input. That opens up the field a lot.

Here are a few links, elaborating on your information.

How to Convert Between S/PDIF and AES Digital Audio

Format Converters | B&H Photo Video

I’m aware that the volume on Genelec’s latest monitors can be controlled through the GLM controller, but I’m reaching a shortage of USB outputs on my laptop and would prefer to not have GLM controller connected all the time.

@Wakibaki: I don’t understand what you’re saying, either. :-) One thing seems to be clear from the comments above: My question is actually two separate questions.

1) How do I get a great USB -> AES/EBU converter, preferably with an all-digital preamp – that is volume control, source selector and at least one analogue input with an ADC?

2) How do I get a digital signal wirelessly from my laptop to this digital preamp? If this is at all possible without any audio degradation.

I had hoped that there’d be one all-in-one solution, but that seems to be an unobtainable dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again, everybody! Lots of input to digest!

It seems that the product I’m looking for is called a Digital Monitor Controller.

Here is a selection of monitor controllers with digital outputs

Monitor Management | Sweetwater.com

Most of them are for studios with a number of monitor sets, channels and inputs, but this little thing is more like what I had in mind

TC Electronics BMC2 - Thomann UK

Tons of positive user reviews on the web. It has a lot of dedicated fans out there in the home audio studio mixing world, but it’s close to ten years old and a newer model really ought to be on its way.

Also, I’m a fan of compact, simple living, and my audio system was supposed to reflect this. No need for power amps, expensive cables, DACs etc. I wanted to go the active monitor way partly to keep the many “boxes” and wires out of my clutter free apartment.

Now, it seems my “simple and compact digital monitor solution” is growing increasingly complex. I will need a USB to S/PDIF converter, then a digital monitor controller, then an S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter. Not to mention the Genelec Loudspeaker Manager box and, if I choose, one of the solutions mentioned above for a wireless connection.

Yes, maybe I should use a Thunderbolt solution as DigiPete suggests. But that would require me to get an all new computer with Thunderbolt output. A huge effort to swap my entire digital work life and personal life to another computer exclusively because of my audio needs. And then, of course, there’s the option to move all my audio out of my work laptop to a dedicated media computer. But I travel a lot and like to bring my music with me.

Thanks again, everybody. This is a great site with some great users.

For the moment I will stick to feeding my monitors an analog input and keep everything compact, simple … and the way it is. But at some point, after I’ve catched my breath a few times, I’ll move on and conquer new digital continents.