IGNORED

Article: Advanced Acourate Digital XO Time Alignment Driver Linearization Walkthrough

Jonathan Valin published a review for a $140,000 pair of speakers in the October 2013 TAS. He went to the speaker factory and observed the driver nonlinearity on the "scope." In the end, he concluded "DSP Can NEVER work."(emphasis not added). I don't even want to mention the openly defensive and hostile response in last month's letter to the editor to a reader who challenged Mr. Vain's conclusion.

Mitch, I think you've demonstrated otherwise with slightly less expensive gear. :-) The problem with DSP is getting folks to accept that all rooms and speakers are imperfect. The challenge is to carefully use the available technology to overcome. No matter how good or bad the system, there are huge benefits for everyone. That scares some speaker manufacturers a little, I guess.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

• 8 months later...

Thanks Mitch for this help guide. Uli helped me setup my crossovers to integrate a pair of mono subs with my YG Anat III speakers. I previously integrated using external DSP crossover. Acourate is so much more transparent and precise with regard to the integration.

One thing that I think needs to be mentioned which hasn't been emphasized enough. Nobody should feel overwhelmed or intimidated in any way. This stuff may look complicated at first. However, Uli is unbelievably generous in offering assistance to his customers. He totally committed to making his customers' systems sound the best they can.

Also, I am now using a Lynx Hilo with the Acourate generated filters for subwoofer crossovers and full range correction. I've owned some mega dollar DACs used without DSP AND now I have a $2,500 Hilo coupled with the BEST DSP. There's no question that the latter is a FAR superior path to musical bliss than the former. The Hilo+Acourate is an awesome combo.

Michael.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX