IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Windows has hidden the .EXE from view. Double click Mutecusbaudiofu and the utility will launch.

When I double click on it. This is a sample of part of what shows up on the screen.

<!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

<!-- GUID required to locate the driver DLL. IMORTANT: This GUID must be equal to the one specified in the 'InterfaceGUID=' statement in custom.ini -->

<DriverInterfaceGUID>{6C930F26-5C86-414a-AC0E-525614F1862C}</DriverInterfaceGUID><!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

<!-- Add supported devices below in the <SupportedDevices> section. Example: <SupportedDevices> <Device VID="0x1234" PID="0xABCD"> <Firmware MajorVersion="2" MinorVersion="11">FirmwareForPidABCD.bin</Firmware> </Device> <Device VID="0x1234" PID="0x0815" Revision="0x0200"> <Firmware MajorVersion="5" MinorVersion="11">FirmwareForPid0815v2.bin</Firmware> </Device> </SupportedDevices> -->

<SupportedDevices> </SupportedDevices><!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

<!-- Supported values: No, Warn, Block -->

<CheckFirmwareVersion>No</CheckFirmwareVersion><DisplayFirmwareFile>True</DisplayFirmwareFile><AllowToAbortUpgrade>True</AllowToAbortUpgrade><LanguageSelectionDialog><Enabled>False</Enabled><EnglishTitle>MUTEC USB Audio Firmware Upgrade</EnglishTitle><EnglishSubtitle>Please select a language.</EnglishSubtitle></LanguageSelectionDialog><!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

<SupportedLocales><Default EnglishName="English"/><Locale EnglishName="German (Germany)" LCID="0x0407"/></SupportedLocales><!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->

<a xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="collapse" style="color: blue; margin-left: -2em; position: relative;" href="file:///C:/Program%20Files/MUTEC_Driver/MUTEC_USB_Audio_Driver/MUTECUSBAudioDfu.xml#"><<span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">Title</span>></a><Default><a xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="color: blue; margin-left: -2em;"><<span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">Default</span>></a>MUTEC USB Audio Firmware Upgrade<span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="color: blue;"></<span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">Default</span>></span></Default><Locale LCID="0x0407"><a xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="color: blue; margin-left: -2em;"><<span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">Locale</span> <span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">LCID</span>="<span style="color: black; font-weight: bold;">0x0407</span>"></a>MUTEC USB Audio Firmware Upgrade<span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="color: blue;"></<span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">Locale</span>></span></Locale><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="block" style="color: blue; margin-left: -2em;"></<span style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">Title</span>></span><!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DFU Wizard Configuration File For documentation see TUSBAudio_UserManual.pdf, section "DFU Wizard Customization". --><DFU FormatVersionMinor="1" FormatVersionMajor="3">

At one stage you tried to rename the file, perhaps this is now wrecked.

suggest to remove the Mutec Drivers, reboot, and reinstall the drivers which contain the MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe

utility.

When you say cannot get to exe, you can't see MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe like the screen shot in post 845?

due to rules on the site, I can't upload the MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe file to use, cause that's all you need to update the file for the MC-3+USB.

Thanks, Ok, I will delete the Mutec drivers and try to reinstall it again. I understand the screen shot on post 845 but I can not find the MUTECUSBaudio.exe file.

Aleg,

And no, I do not have anyone else to help me with this.

QUESTION:

When I reinstall the drivers should I be connected up to the MUTEC via a usb cable?

Well...drum roll.... I did it!

Norton virus protection was the big offender. I had to completely remove it.

I deleted and reloaded the Mutec driver. Then I had to download zip things, bit external extensions and such. Once I got the conversion from 1.01 to 1.03 I knew I could do it. But no, I then had to figure what I did and try to duplicate with the other application to then get the 1.10.

And to show what a masochists I am, I have 2 of the Mutec's connected in tandem so I had to do the whole thing twice!

If Mutec ever comes out with another revision, I'm selling them!

I do think the sound quality is a little better and I like the fade in feature especially when going from different resolution files.

Anyway, thank you so much for the help, I could not have done it with out your help.

Ah, Norton has a mind of its own, it is possible to reverse its decisions, it's not such a direct reversal.

All the hard work is worth it, the end result is the SQ is very good indeed, congrats on persisting.

You won't sell the Mutecs in a hurry :)

Thanks again for your help. No I wont be selling the Mutec's they are pretty great.

Sorry you had such a trouble with this and many thanks to all the forum members who helped out!

Julian

Julian,

Probably most computers users wouldn't have the problems I had with the update. But I think its helpful for you and others to know that the Norton virus protection does not like your downloads.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info guys. Don't really want to read 800+ posts to find out best connection options, so can anyone give a simple setup for a chain that would involve Server>Regen and/or w4S Recovery and/or Intona > Auralic Vega DAC.

Also, this is a reclocker, so does it set the clock for all DACs or will my DAC reclock the signal anyway? So, talking about DAC compatability I guess.

Forgive me, I'm not an expert in this area.

Thanks.

The Regen will be the weak spot. I sold mine. My chain is :

Bryston BDP-2>Intona>PS LANDRover>Intona>Recovery>Mutec-3+USB>Mutec-3+USB>PS Audio Direct Stream dac.

And the W4S Recovery brings something to the Mutec in your configuration ?

Yes, even though I would have liked to have shortened the chain the Recovery does add to the sound quality improvement.

P.S. I am using a Chinese linear power supply with the Recovery.

I can understand the dual Mutec configuration, and only you know what sounds best in your system, but I am strong believer in signal path minimization, whenever possible, along with the connecting cables that are required.

Have you tried removing the two Intonas, the PSLANDRover, and the Recovery, and given a critical (hopefully blind) listen? I would be very surprised if these elements made an even 0.01% improvement in detectable sound quality. Of course this is my opinion, and I have not and cannot make any objective evaluation of what differences you may hear with these added elements.

Bryston -> Mutec -> Mutec ->PS DAC would be my suggestion.

I agree with you that in MOST instances the simpler, shorter path is the best.

But... I have tried as you suggested and also every possible combination of the items that could be tried. The result is that every item in the chain in my order cleans up the signal bringing the sound stage deeper and deeper. I am using the shortest USB Curious Cables available. And, to my surprise, my USB chain FAR exceeds XLR/AES connections.

Westy, may I ask of all the devices between the Bryston and Mutec which one had the most positive impact? Also, could you please explainwhat you mean when you say the soundstage got deeper? Do you mean that the music got more of a 3d effect or do you mean the music seemed to emanate further behind the front plane of the speakers?

I would say that the Intona is the one unit that impressed me the most. And it does not need a power supply!. But, combining the various units together is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

The soundstage becomes more dimensional with more distance between instruments, vocals etc. Instead of the music coming at or near the front plane of the speakers some of it goes way back and everywhere in between. Quite impressive.

• 1 month later...