IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

devs, I ordered the MC-3+ USB version.

I do own the Intona, I think its great. I was hoping to try them together.

Since you say the Intona won't work placed in front of the MC-3+ USB.

So, does the sound quality improve with the MC-3+ USB if the Intona is behind it?

One and a half,

Thank you for your reply. I think I prefer your option B.

At the present the Intona seems to output enough to power the Wyred Recovery, but the Wyred recovery cannot power the Intona.

So, I'm hoping that the Intona should be able to power the MC-3+USB. That would be my preferred way.

I have Curious usb cables (the best I've tried so far) and fairly high quality AES (HiDiamond Reference) or Coax (Morrow 6) or glass toslink.

I have ordered another Intona with the new firmware so hopefully that one will work with the Mutec.

I also have contacted Wyred about the newer Recovery and waiting for their response.

Here is my connections;

I am only using the usb input and the XLR out on the Mutec.

I was trying to connect the Intona or the Recovery via USB from my Bryston BDP-2 using Curious cables going into the Mutec.

None of that worked.

Going straight from the Bryston BDP-2 via usb to the Mutec will work. But, only the very cheap cables will work.

The XLR out from the Mutec goes to my PS Audio Dac XLR input.

I am using a 4TB WD external hardrive that is connected to the back of the Bryston.

One and half,

Thanks for your additional efforts and comments.

I have all of the devices connected to a PS Audio P-10 power supply on a dedicated circuit. The WD is powered by a linear power supply that is also plugged into the PS P-10.

It is odd that only the cheap cables will connect but more expensive ones will not.

I should have the newer version of the Intona on Monday so I'll see how that one performs with the Mutec. My supplier of the Recovery had no clue about the (Rev B) mentioned in this thread but will look into it.

I have noticed drop outs while using my Oppo Blu Ray player. This is caused by the Mutec losing lock occasionally. Rather annoying.

I am using a Digital RCA cable with a BNC adapter at the Mutec.

Any ideas why this is happening?

One and half,

I have the Oppo 95 and it has been modded. I have found that by using a Chinese adapter, I can take the HDMI master audio out and convert that to a coaxial output. That output used to go to my Tascam HIRez recorder. This enabled me to copy my SACD, DVD-A and Blu Ray disc's digitally 24/ 192 or 24/96 to a SD card. With that SD card added to my computer, I then added the new digitally recording to my external hardrive.

Well, once I got the Mutec, I tried to take that same HIRez signal from as stated above to the Mutec for Reclocking and etc before it goes to the Tascam for recording. The music plays fine but I have reoccurring audio dropouts every few minutes and then that gets embedded into my recording.

Swissbear, Thanks for your comments. Yes, I do know about the copyright limitations. That is why the Chinese adapter works so well. It takes the HDMI out and converts it to Coaxial and optical. That's how I have been recording to the Tascam previously. But into the Mutec before the Tascam I am getting the occasional dropouts every few minutes.

One and half. I never though about trying the Mutec clock output into the Tascam clock input. hmmm.. Gotta try that.

Swissbear, One and half,

Update: Yes, I needed to turn my Oppo to PCM and that took care of the dropouts. Thank you.

Right now, I am using the clock out from the Mutec playing a Sheryl Crow Blue ray concert on the Oppo to my Tascam and oh boy!

I am hearing such a much improved soundstage. Thank you.

Now this means I will go back and redo all of my SACD's and DVD-A's and Blu Ray concerts. Glad I am retired.

Great job westy on taming the drop outs :) There are methods to rip DVD-A and Blu-ray some work OK, some, well, by the time you add so much software and configure they way you want it, you may as well stick with real time recording. Which Tascam do you have? Bought a DA-3000 though, yet to start recording the SACD collection, not really interested in the PS3 method, but keen to work analog in to the Tascam to DSD64 or 96PCM, will trial either.

I have the DA-3000 Tascam.

I hope I can make this question clear...

Will the Mutec send an upsampled digital signal with the clock out feature?

Or is it limited to whatever the signal is and that is what the internal clock sends?

I'm trying to send an original 24-48hz digital signal and upsample with the Mutec to say 24/192hz and then send the higher resolution to a Tascam for recording.

Well I will get my Bryston BDP-2 back from repairs tomorrow. In the meantime, I have received the new upgraded Intona that's supposed to work well with the Mutec. And I also received today the replacement version B of the Wyred Recovery.

So, sometime tomorrow I should be able to try these 3 units in various configurations.

I really can't understand something and I could really use some help.

What inputs and setting do I need to use to send a SACD PCM digital output from my Oppo through the Mutec to my Dac?

If I take the SACD Digital output from my Oppo and run it to my Tascam recorder and then take the digital out from the Tascam to the Mutec everything plays fine in High Rez.

The Mutec is set Intern+Reclocker with the Reference setting with the 2 bottom green leds lit. The Blue lock is on, Audio is red, and the right bottom red 2 leds are lit indicating 192.

But, when I try the same digital output from the Oppo directly to the back of the Mutec plugged into BNC #9 (S/P-Dif & AESid) the Mutec clock won't set (keeps blinking) and I get no sound. However, if I play a standard CD it plays fine.

What am I doing wrong?