IGNORED

Article: JRiver Mac vs JRiver Windows Sound Quality Comparison

Thanks for everyone's comments. Btw, did folks download and listen to the files on whatever system and hear any differences? I see no comments about that.

Just to clear up a couple of points. I did indeed listen, casually over headphones, to JRMC on the Mac and then on Windows. Heard no differences. However, it was not a properly setup ABX test as I need some hardware switching to make that work proper. So I did not include in the results.

Setting up proper, controlled listening tests are difficult as levels need to be matched to 0.1 dB is one of many considerations. Another point is the interesting research by James JJ Johnston that indicates our short term hearing memory is accurate for about 1/4 a second. Hence the requirement to be able to switch reasonably rapidly between sources.

Finally, if the bits are identical, as the results show, and that anyone can replicate (anyone up for the challenge?), at the DAC whether it came from JRMC on the Mac or Windows, then how can there be an audible difference? It can't be from the music players...

I am looking for a listening/measuring test, which is repeatable and can be replicated by anyone, like I did with the tests above, which demonstrates an audible difference that anyone can hear. Let me know what you think that test might look like...

mitch, can you respond to my simple request to do the same test with other software on the same platform? for example, itunes vs jrmc.

Do let me know if this isn't feasible for some reason..