IGNORED

Does software need a break-in period?

Does software need a break-in period?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does a freshly installed music player sound the same as after a some time of use? Is the quality of the power supply extra critical during such a break-in period? If music files can be permanently contaminated by electrical noise during processing, then presumably the same applies to software as well.

Does a freshly installed music player sound the same as after a some time of use? Is the quality of the power supply extra critical during such a break-in period? If music files can be permanently contaminated by electrical noise during processing, then presumably the same applies to software as well.

Yeah you're definitely kidding us!!!

The answer is yes for Windows, Mac and Linux. Android playback doesn't suffer from these issues.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You are now officially as bad as I am.

Next up: What compiler optimization settings sound the best? (Damien actually had people vote on whether clang or gcc sounded better. I never knew if he was being serious.)

I would imagine he was serious. There are performance differences between binaries built with different compilers for other purposes (see top answer here: compiler construction - iPhone GCC / LLVM GCC or LLVM? - Stack Overflow), so why not for music playback purposes?

As for the original topic, heh.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

-Waggravate-return

-Wcast-spell

-Wcaste-align

-Win

-Wmissing-protons

-Wredundant-repetitions

-antsy

-fbungee-jump

-fexpensive-operations

-fextra-strength

-fjesus-saves

-fkeep-programmers-inline

-fno-peeping-toms

-fruit-roll-ups

-fshort-enough

-mno-dialogue

-pedophile

-vomit-frame-pointer

A+ beta with DSD was sounding awesome first night for me and not much so after several days. Is this what we speak about?

Yes. The problem is particularly acute with DSD software. With DSD we have a single stream of a single bit doing all the work. With PCM it is divided between multiple bits grouped in pulses of discrete samples. So DSD wears away the proper edges in the signal. With time it leads to a smoothed over sound that many actually like though it is really not highest fidelity. Think of it being similar to grooves on an LP being worn smooth with repeated playing. There's a reason many refer to DSD being more analog like than PCM.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Does turning my computer off eliminate all the benefits of software break-in?

Does data also get broken in or just degrade from the RF/EMI in the computer?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Does data also get broken in or just degrade from the RF/EMI in the computer?

I have on good authority from an expert in the field, that the wideband RF buildup in data levels off and gets no worse at a certain point. I don't have all the info to say as regards the software itself. My guess being software's more complex nature is harder to predict than the data files used by the software.

You are now officially as bad as I am.

Next up: What compiler optimization settings sound the best? (Damien actually had people vote on whether clang or gcc sounded better. I never knew if he was being serious.)

Actually this could definitely matter. I have seen cases where different compiler options (not to mention different compilers) made code run slightly faster.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Does a download sound different depending on the hops from the download server?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

It does. Noise floor goes to zero. Of course there's no music playing...

Sorry I could not help myself...

system pics

OK new product category : Break-in software that will break in your software for you..

Can you use it recursively? How many recursions for conversion?

system pics

Actually this could definitely matter. I have seen cases where different compiler options (not to mention different compilers) made code run slightly faster.

I've seen cases where over-zeolous optimization, especially of fortran, can result in binaries that give the wrong results for calculations.

A+ beta with DSD was sounding awesome first night for me and not much so after several days. Is this what we speak about?

This is the same listening experience when upgrading another audio component. There is a change, it may not be obvious right away but give a few days of listening, then judge. I find if there's no obvious preference for the new sound, then revert to the original and start again.

Sometimes the change is obnoxious, like many members posts, so that change is an easy choice to revert and quickly.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA