Single Status Update
I am putting together a new Buffalo III DAC and upgrading an older BII. I came across your build posted a few years ago and had some questions if you remember the details. You had also posted an earlier iteration with different digital power supplies and no caps on the outputs.
· Did swapping in the Salas Reflektor power supplies to the digital boards make a difference? Did you try UltraBIBs for everything?
· Did the M Caps in the two Salas UltraBIB supplies improve sound quality and were these the only “boutique” tweaks you made to these boards?
· What is the white paste around the DAC clock and by the IEC inlet?
· What caps did you use on the balanced outputs? I thought caps here were for DC blocking, but it seems these may improve sound quality.
· It looks like there is a cap on the IEC inlet. Is this a ground loop breaker or does it serve another purposes?
· What does the red switch in the bottom left – hardwired to the DAC – control?
· Did you experiment with toroidal transformers or powering the L/R sides of the Legato separately?
· What tweaks did you make to the Legato?
· And finally…are Sonore Audiobyte boards available anymore?
Thank you for fielding my questions!