IGNORED

Lynx Drivers and Firmware

Hi guys - By popular request here are the legacy Lynx drivers and firmware that are recommended for the Lynx AES16 PCI card, and a registry cleaning utility to remove all traces of the Lynx software if needed.

Lynx Mixer Version 1.30 build 57g (May 1, 2006)

Firmware ID: 0 Rev: 22 (July 19, 2005)

Lynx Registry cleaner

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

I thought I would post to thank you for all the excellent info in this site. :)

And more specifiaclly on Lynx drivers:

I first installed Win7 RC x64 and V2b16 and then v2b17RCn on lynx AES PCI. The reason is that at first, a couple of months ago, it had seemed to me that foobar + lynx (and think that was w/ and lynx 22, I changed cards in the mean time) sounded better on Win7 x64 than on XP x86. (a RME AIO HDSPe sounded really quite different when comparing XP x86 and 7 x64)

Then, last week end, I gave it a try with XP x86 and the legacy lynx fw and driver. Result: sound is better. Better precision in space, and not at the expense of timbre (I played around a lot with different setups and better precision in instrument positionning quite often came with worse timbre, harder high medium). Bass does not seem as big or as boomy. I have not spent a lot of time listening. Maybe bass is just cleaner, I'm not quite sure yet.

The funny thing with the legacy drivers is this: up to v2b16 lynx driver have a "High resolution clock rate" option, were the card clock rate is displayed (apparently) with a 1 Hz precision, instead of 1kHz. It is being removed in v2b17 by Lynx, because it raised more questions to support than it helped (I read this in the Lynx support forum).

With legacy driver and fw, the clock rate is sta-ble. I even thought the thing was broken, it took 30 seconds to see a 1 Hz change. On another setup with a lynx 22 on v2b16 driver, it shows a 3Hz change several times par second, and I seem to remember (not quite sure, I would have to change drivers again) that it was about the same on my AES PCI under win7/ driver v2b16.

So, either the rate display does not work well in one version or another, or AES PCI under XP w/ legacy fw and drivers has less jitter. It does sound a bit like less jitter. Strangely.

Chris ...

You said you are waiting for Snow Leopard drivers - I assume you mean for the Lynx AES16e (PCIe version) ... I assume they wont do Snow Leopard drivers for the PCI version as there is no Mac which supports PCI and also runs Snow Leopard.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.