IGNORED

list of headphones

Hey guys i was looking at getting my first pair of decent headphones but im at a struggel of which one I should get so I figured you guys could help me.

the choice is between:

1. Sennheiser HD 558

2. Sennheiser HD 595

3. Beyerdynamics DT880s

4. Sennheiser 25-1 II addidas orginals

and I'm also open to suggestions from the community around the price range of 100 to 250

thanks in advance

Dr Dre Beats. Made by Monster Cable.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Im going to pick an amp latter down the road, as even just the headphones are going to sound amazing as i've never had decent ones. And as you may guess im not to up on what amps are good so that's another reason I'm yet to pick one. Moving on Ill be use it on my pc for home and my rooted HTC desire HD for when im on the move having rooted means I have the beats by dr dre audio driver and im also able to use dsp manager which gives much better audio control. and finally I listen to mostly electronic music which would include Pendulum, the prodigy, DJ fresh, Nero, Daft Punk, the qemists and more like that.

thanks in advance.

Actually whether you get an amp or not matters because some headphones won't work well without one. If you want something easy to drive (you won't need an amp and it will work fine with an ipod or the headphone out from your laptop) and sounds great, get the audio technica ATH AD700: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

AudioDoctor

I would add this :

International standard IEC61938 specifies that headphones should be driven by a 120 ohm source, regardless of headphone impedance.Many, but not all,(AKG K701, ATH W1000 are a couple of examples) headphones are designed for optimum performance under these conditions.

To drive these headphones optimally, you will normally need a proper headphone amplifier with suitable voltage rails and current drive capabilities.

Unfortunately, not all manufacturers are forthcoming with the required information as to suitable source impedance.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The DT880s are rated at 250 ohms so your PC may not be able to drive them alone. Consider getting a amp to go with them. The Dennon AH-D2000 are 32 ohms, have a great low end response and will sound good w/ just you PC's audio out.

Checkout www.headphone.com for what is possibly the best online selection. You can try all their stuff for 30 days and return w/o risk. Good luck.

Andrew

That's not quite right. The Beyer DT 880s come in three flavors: 32 ohm, 250 ohm, and 600. You'd be fine without an amp with the 32 ohm version. The sennheiser 595 HD don't need an amp either. I like them a lot but for my money I'd get the AT AD700s; that's a matter of taste and your mileage will likely vary.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

Well there are a lot of pretty good choices. If you want them for your phone, then you are looking for something you can walk around. Do you want closed or open (or semi-open) cans? The ATH AD700s, which I recommended earlier, are probably not the best for traveling with since they are difficult to pack. For travel (which is why I assume you want them to work with your phone), I'd go with the Audio Technica ath-m50. They're closed (so noise doesn't leak out) and come in a pretty decent carry bag since they fold up. They are fairly easy to drive and should work well with your phone (you can always get an inexpensive amp if you like). Google the ath-m50s; they get a ton of positive reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

from Dr Dre.

Mac G5 PowerPC > iTunes[br]MIND:[br][Pure Music] > APOGEE Duet > AKG K702[br]BODY:[br]--- cheap USB --- XITEL Hi-Fi Link (with Russ Andrews PowerPak mod) --- stock toslink --- SONY MDS-JE510 MiniDisc (used as DAC) --- RADIO SHACK --- SONNETEER Alabaster ----- bell wire ----- ELTAX Millennium Minis[br]SOUL:[br]www.radiolab.com

My daughter asked for a pair of the noise canceling Beats for Christmas. I could not believe they are 300.00. Found her something nice at Fry's for a 1/10 of that. She uses them when playing electronic drums.

If you are close to an Apple store go there to demo. They have lots on display and it makes it easy to see how they work with a phone.

My son decided on a set of Skull Candy buds. But may be looks or name that he went for. Not sure he really cares about SQ. His iTunes folder is all 128K MP3.

The wife got a set of AKG K311 for her iPhone today. These sound fine. Better than the Skull Candy and Dr Dre models.

I have not purchased a set of headphones for myself since the early 80's. Just do not like wearing them.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Sennheiser HD-25-1 II is an old classic.

Linear and crystal clear as they should be.

They are quite popular amongst DJ's and for use in other noisy areas (traffic, cities, workplaces etc.).

They sound great driven by an iPhone.

They come in two versions: 70 and 600 ohms.

Phones can only drive the 70 ohm type.

The sound and build quality is great.

Street credit is low and so it the risk of theft.

Sound dampening and wearing comfort is high.

I love mine and I take them everywhere.

The Addidas version is technically the same but adds street credit, risk of theft and price.

Highly recomended!

PS. Sennheiser makes a large variety of "HD 25" models.

"HD 25-1 II" is the one to go for!

Alternatively "HD 25-1 C II" if you prefer coiled cable

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Thanks for the correction DigiPete. My HD-25 is the 70 Ohm version and I have used it with both HTC touch and iPhone with good results.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

Sennheiser HD-25 has a few different versions. If you decide for one take the 30 Ohm [edit: 70 Ohm] version of it. Your phone will drive it easily. You can get a decent headphone amp later if you have some money.

I would take the black version of it because that blue addidas headphone toy will bore you after a while :) These Headphones are good and will last you for 5 to 10 years. I have had one for at least 5 years and using it every day at work and it still rocks.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

Also check out the AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones, if you would like something awesome and sounding great with a mike for use with the phone.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

+1 for the HD 25-1-II

Even though I don't own them I had the opportunity to hear my brothers for a few days now on Christmas vacation and I can understand 100% why they are so highly regarded!

I drove them with an iPod Mini 4gen (alac & mp3) + LOD cable + cMoyBB v2.03 and they sounded very very good!

More upfront presentation -something I like- than my AKG's K271mkII i had with me, with better bass (through cMoy wich isn't the most powerful amp for the very insensitive K271mkII).

I wish I will get a pair sometime!!! Great!!!

They are sensitive enough so I wouldn't worry about the 70 ohm impedance!!

No I wouldn't like to trade them with any of my K's but that's another story...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

• 1 month later...

Have the DT880 (600R) and the AD700. Firstly, the AD700 only comes in metallic purple. Secondly, I recommend that you select you system, which will probably include a headphone amp, based on the headphone first. Choose the one you like the sound and price of, and then work backwards. The amp will be different for each headphone. I find the DT880 very detailed, crisp and analytical. I find the AD700 a little more 'mushy', but more musical. It isn't as revealing. Can't say about the others. If you can find one within your price range, I'd recommend the HD650, as it is (to my ears) a perfectly well balanced headphone; warm, musical and revealing.

On the note of headphone choice, I seriously recommend that you consider comfort. Based on head shape, ear size, listnening position, etc. I currently used a pair of EM4, which are custom moulded to my inner ear, and they are by far the most comfortable I have used. The HD650 was better for me than the DT880 (mainly cause I have big ears...).

If you do decide on the DT880, you need to pick the impedance. Basically, the lower the impedance, it requires more current and less voltage, and the higher the impedance, the more voltage is required. I chose the 600r version, cause almost all of my headphone amps are tube amps, and they are able to produce more voltage easier than current. Whereas solid state devices are better at pushing out more current. that is why some high end headphone amps, like the Violectric and the SPL Phonitor operate at 60V+. Also, that is why portable audio headphones are almsot always low impedance, cause they can't really provide the voltage to drive higher impedance cans. Hope that helps.

David [br]Gear: MBP, Calyx Coffee and iBasso D-zero.[br]Headphone Amps: O2, Elekit Tu882R, Mini MaxMillett, Bottlehead Crack, Mapletree Audio Ear++ and LV Millett.[br]Headphones: EM4, HD650, DT880, AD700, SE210 and HF5.

Basically, the lower the impedance, it requires more current and less voltage, and the higher the impedance, the more voltage is required

With lower impedenace I agree current levels increase, but wouldn't the overall voltage levels remain the same?

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington