IGNORED

Mac Mini or MacBook Pro?

Mac laptops "sleep" when you fold down the display. I do believe it is entirely possible to change this behavior, probably it has to be done through terminal commands.

Googling would likely direct you to the right command to enter to change the MacBook Pro so that it stays running with the display folded down.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Matt, I would advise against doing that. Since the CPU is located just beneath the keyboard, the computer gets very hot in a very short period of time when the lid is closed down while the CPU is running.

I tried it once with my other laptop (Toshiba Qosmio) and I decided never ever to do it again.

Best

Oh, what I did was to keep the computer running with the screen off and the lid closed down. After 30 minutes or so I was passing by the study room and I heard a frantic computer fan noise (unusal for Qosmio, which is quite silent in its operation, comperatively). When I reopened the laptop lid back I realized the keyboard was very hot.

It is my understanding that the CPU needs a breathing room through relatively thin insulation of keyboard and when you close the lid down, it puts an extra barier to this "breathing space", like puting an extra blanket on it.

I never tried it with my current MBP, but I would be very hesitant to do that based on this experience; hence I advised against it.

The screen does power down after a while in MBP but if you need a program to keep the screen on I would also mention the name "caffeine", a free utility that keeps the screen lit at all times.

Hope this helps.

I think ventilation is an important issue with all electronic components. As an example: I have a GamuT D3i pre and a GamuT D200i power amp in which I used custom blocks to elevate the bottom feet so that I can even improve the ventilation below them.

Afterall the reason these devices fail on the long-run are due to thermal damage.

Caner

You say the screen powers down after a short while, does it do this with the screen up if so this will be ideal as I will be controlling the music with an iPad so I do not need the screen powered up during my listening.

Can you recommend a quality USB cable I am currently using Transparent audio cables and need to invest in a high quality USB link from MBP to DAC?

Your thoughts please?

Regards

Matt.

Matt, I have some good news:

With MBP the screen goes off power (turns dark), and you can adjust the timing of this using System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Display sleep from MBP menu.

You can specify the time you want the display to go off power (in both battery power only and power adapter plugged configurations) from 1 minute to "never". When and if you need help at the time of configuration, I will again be glad to be your resource (although I am sure you will have no difficulty finding it out yourself)

Now I know this will draw a lot of controversy (and I am hoping it will not) but I have to state that I am a not a big believer of expensive cables. In most forums people will tell you that you should at least reserve 10% to 15% of your total audio investment for the cables. I have a fairly new system and my cable investment was less than 5% of the total. I did not invest on exotic cables (or power conditioners on that matter) and I am very pleased with the end result. Oyaide Neo 1394 (FW cable) purchase was due to manufacturer recommendations and the available length they had (0.6m, I like short cables/hate cable clutter)

But there was a recent forum topic on this, have a look at it, I believe your anwer is there:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Best-USB-cable-use-between-computer-and-dac

Best