IGNORED

I want to get the most out of my music (hardware tips for a newbie)

jerrylo

Hi,

I just recently got a set of Beats by Dre Studios (I know they are not the most popular around here, but hey they were a gift) and noticed sounds I have never heard before on my music, so I decided to buy the Sennheiser HD 598 to compare (they have not arrived yet). So I am trying to figure out what else can I do to make it sound even better.

I have a Macbook pro, and I was contemplating to buy the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) Headphone Amp and USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and the Amarra software to get a good upgrade in terms of output quality.

Simply put, I would like some advice on where to begin.

Thanks!

I think it's entirely possible that your Beats produce sounds you haven't heard before. Understand that they may not be what the musicians and engineers intended. IMO (maybe not so humble) your Senns will sound much more like real music. For not too much more than what you're looking at, you could get a Wavelength Proton and Audirvana Plus. In my experience, it's a synergistic combination. If the HD 598s have similar impedance and sensitivity to my HD 650s, the Proton will have just enough juice to push them to a decent db level.

Ebay the Beats and you'll be even-Steven.

Auctioneer: How much do I hear?[br]Audience member: That\'s metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?[br] — The Firesign Theatre, [br] Don\'t Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Quoting jerrylo on Sat, 12/17/2011 - 09:57

"... I just recently got a set of Beats by Dre Studios ... and noticed sounds I have never heard before on my music, so I decided to buy ..."

Welcome to the asylum! Glad you like the Beats; it'll be interesting to hear what you think of the Sennheisers.

My advice is to take it slow to figure out what it is you value most; things like more media vs. better equipment vs different configuration vs speakers etc.

The quality of even the 'entry' level audiophile stuff is now so good, that you can't go wrong. Its only wringing out the last 0.1% of sound quality that drives us all to nutty extremes.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

They both do an excellent job, but Audirvana Plus is so much less expensive that you will have more to spend on a DAC & headphone amp.

Auctioneer: How much do I hear?[br]Audience member: That\'s metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?[br] — The Firesign Theatre, [br] Don\'t Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers