IGNORED

Weiss dac202 power cable

I changed out the factory power cable for a shunyata python helix vx. The male plug of the python is large and the FireWire input immediately below the power cable input on the Weiss gets squeezed the the python. It is a very snug fit and the FireWire is pushed down by the power cable a bit.

For the Weiss dac202 owners out there, what power able are you using?

Mac MINI (Lion 8gb, Amarra Mini) -->Weiss DAC202 --> MIT Oracle v1.1 interconnects--> Esoteric A100 --> Morrow Audio --> Wilson Watt/pup 8[br](OPPO BDP95 for Blueray and SACD)

I know there is limited real estate on the back there but I don't care for that design (or any) that would put any other inputs/outputs so close to the power connector. I certainly wouldn't like any pressure being exerted on a connector like you describe. Most aftermarket power cables use those Wattgate or Furatech type fittings. There are some that use a more rectangular molded connector that might alleviate that problem. I think Cardas might on some og their power cables.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

[cynical]I guess Purite Audio don't sell power cables then...[/cynical]

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Keith ... I'm not going to get into "do power cables make a difference". The OP obviously feels they do, as do many other people.

As Bambi's father (almost) said ... "if you can't say anything helpful, don't say nothing [anything] at all".

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

This type of reply contributes to the OP's post in what way? I may have overlooked his requesting advice on whether or not to use aftermarket power cables. Completely worthless in whose eyes? Good advice or personal opinion? Those are different things.

Frank Zappa

I fail to see, fail to understand how your posts are contributing to anything but expounding about your own ideas and beliefs. Would you care to actually contribute to the thread based on the OP’s inquiry. Otherwise maybe you would consider starting your own thread about your vision of the world.

Frank Zappa

But I've been snagged this time. Keith, do you understand that you are not contributing to this thread in a helpful manner? This thread is regarding a specific issue that does not pertain to performance differences, there are PLENTY of threads on this site (unfortunately) that ARE in regard to performance differences of cables, I suggest you take your supreme knowledge to one of those threads and leave this thread alone so the OP may get the advice that he asked for.

I have visited this site less and less frequently because of these silly "cables don't matter/cables make all the difference" arguments, along with all of the other arguments started by a select number of all-knowing members who do not respect others opinions.

Regards,

Jason

gear here.

@mwheeerk

I will look into the Cardas design. Will see if the rectangle mold will be a good fit.

@all

Any of the Weiss DAC202 users out there who is using an aftermarket power cable?

Mac MINI (Lion 8gb, Amarra Mini) -->Weiss DAC202 --> MIT Oracle v1.1 interconnects--> Esoteric A100 --> Morrow Audio --> Wilson Watt/pup 8[br](OPPO BDP95 for Blueray and SACD)

I did use the Weiss with the Shunyata Black Mamba with good results. As you know... it is a tight fit....

Now... here is an interesting interview with Daniel Weiss...

http://ukiro.com/2011/05/12/interview-daniel-weiss/

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Yeah...most aftermarket IEC power connectors are too big on the 202 that it will press against the firewire cable below it.

The simplest best solution (and it is free) is:

-open up the 202 case, unplug the pins of the power connector, slide out the whole fuse/IEC connector unit which is only holding it on the back plate by 2 clips.

-Turn it upside down so now the fuse block is on the lower side and between the firewire input and the IEC plug.

-Reconnects the power pins, close the case.

-Now no matter what power cords you have.. it will have enough clearance and no longer pressing against the firewire cable.

-I don't know why they don't do this out of the factory, such a simple solution, no soldering required...

• 2 weeks later...

...the guy who can't hear impact of power cords on DACs refers to Weiss, the guy and his recommendations, (which I guess are that FW, power and other cables, as long as the engineering dept says are functional, make no difference)...in the attached interview says he dosen't design his stuff by using his own ears!!! So how is he going to know/have an opinion worth listening to?

Don't sell power cables or any other audio equipments.

But, can easily hear the impact of power cables, FW cables, USB cables...on my gear, audio and tube guitar amps alike. Wall sockets, power conditioners, equipment footers like brass cones, maple bases (Mapleshade stuff)...all can make a signficant impact on performace of high end gear if you have the ears and the gear.

If one can't hear these impacts, one needs: 1) a higher definition system because they are missing the musical details; or 2) a new hobby because they are hearing impaired and wasting their time on high performance audio gear; or 3) realize that their audio equipment is a status symbol like the Porsche in their driveway, too much for them to fully utilize but cool to own.

Don't own a Weiss, but have had good experience with Shunyata Python, Kimber Paladian and Virtual Dynamics (out of business now) power cables on my Theta, Wadia and MyTek DACs. Best deal is to try a couple and listen.

Tone with Soul

is but one of the few cables on the market that WILL work is very reasonably priced is made by Audioquest.

Their NRG-1 through NRG-10 have regular connectors and will not add the bulk of the other plugs.

www.audioquest.com and pull down the power cord menu.

They are actually very good power cords for the money and readily available.