IGNORED

like everyone else, seeking advice.....unlike everyone else, I am a newbie

OK, so I will be honest and tell you that I have just started to get into the world of audiophiles, and at this stage, 80% - or thereabouts - of this website is still over my head. So please be gentle!

Just purchased new computer from Digital Storm - not delivered yet. Sound card will be ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1. Have been looking extensively at speaker reviews, including B&W and Audioengine. I am willing to spend some money to make full use of the card. But life is about tradeoffs and any money I save now will be gold when I eventually buy my new shelf speakers in about 6 months time.

I say this because I have a "friend of a friend" that is selling a DTT2500 Cambridge 5.1 Desktop Theater system for under $100. The little I can find online about that system is pretty positive...but I have no idea whether that is really a good deal or not. I have seen the system, looks to be in pretty good shape. Truthfully I do not even know whether Cambridge quality is average, good, great, or not even as good as Bose? I believe Cambridge is now out of the speaker game, but not sure why.

Additionally, I have other questions about the age of the speaker system and if the sound card and speaker set are a good match? The last question is critical since it seems like the speakers may have been built to use with specific sound cards - the Sound Blaster Live series.

So as I mentioned, the cost savings here could help boost my shelf system or I may even put the extra money toward a component that would take the above setup to the next level. I do not know what that component may though....

Here is a brief spec breakdown on the speakers:

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/cambridge_dtt2500/dtt2500-2.shtml

Sorry for the long post, and for the newbie greenness, but any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If I understand you correctly, you want to use the Cambridge to have some sound while you are saving up for some nice bookshelf loudspeakers. Right?

First of all, it would be good if you can give us an idea about your (upcoming) budget...

The Cambridge should be just fine. Not too sure if the price is OK, but you can look on E-Bay or the likes to see if it is reasonable.

About your critical question... I don't think that will be much of an issue. Keep in mind that Cambridge was owned by Creative for some time :-)

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Peter - thank you very much for the input.

I did some more intensive research on Cambridge set and while I did not find anything terribly negative, there was nothing that got me overly excited about it either. So now, I am back to the Audioengine options vs B&W. thanks again