IGNORED

Stevie Wonder Innervisions (1973) 24-bit/96kHz from HDtracks -- Anyone heard it yet?

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD00601215735529

Just got an email from HDtracks. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to pick this up and give it a whirl. I have the MFSL [Redbook] version released in 1991, and I agree with the many other audiophiles who have sampled it that it does sound better than the 2000 Stevie remasters.

What is troublesome to me is that (and this may not mean anything) the link provided above seems to suggest that the 24/96 release from HDtracks is based on the 2000 remasters, but I don't really know anything about anything.

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (DP), MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Mid 2012), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB HD

News of this release is exciting. So many releases on HDTracks simply aren't my taste. Or, based on having bought a number of favs in different formats over the years (who hasn't?!), I'm highly selective about which downloads make the cut.

Also, it is said that Stevie Wonder (adding to his brilliance) from a young age owns all of his Masters. So, other remasters and project re-releases are not from his vault but from tapes the studio has, perhaps second gen.

MFSL could have negotiated with Stevie or their disc is a product of excellent manufacturing and technique. Hope we find the answer 'cause this is one instance HDtracks would get my money.

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

Just returned from HDTracks and actually read the offering - Stevie Wonder delivered his Master directly to the Label; Should sound stellar!

"The INNERVISIONS tapes sounded amazing… I again had the advantage of a superb sounding analog master with INNERVISIONS. Unlike many of the existing “EQ” tape copies, I was able to work from the original analog production masters that Stevie Wonder delivered directly to the label.

The tape was transferred at Sterling on a Studer A820 with Wolke Butterfly heads, converting with the DCS 904 AtoD. As always, the most direct signal path was maintained throughout the conversion process."

- Kevin Reeves, Senior Mastering Engineer Sterling Sound NYC

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

I've said it before. In my opinion 11 years is a long time in digital audio. I wish HD tracks would get deals to do remasters instead of just passing along old files. MFSL and Steve Hoffman etc are doing that. No reason HD Tracks can't do it also. Especially for high resolution.

Finally downloaded it last night, but haven't given it a listen yet. Will report back when I get a chance to ABX it with the MFSL [Redbook] version.

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (DP), MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Mid 2012), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB HD

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't listened yet, what with finals week and all the holiday traveling. I will try to get on it when I get home!

...I recall reading the Stevie would, as a blind man, work at all hours in his home studio, independent of our visually directed solar clock, layering and layering away at these great albums. My vinyl copy of this album, played on a very high resolution analogue system, could never truly unearth all the information that he had buried deep into the mix.

The download is quiet (i.e.: not juiced by current standards) but, I believe is more likely faithful to his artistic intent.

WDW

I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago along with a few others. I have probably got 35-40 hdtracks downloads but I have to confess this one has me stumped. No high end to speak of and the midrange just sounds weird. I had the original recording and a Japanese half speed on lp that were better, but they were "hot" in the high end. I was really happy with the Chicago V and Credence Clearwater Revival was excellent (much better than the DCC version on cd).

I chalked it up to experience as like every one else (of their honest) I have bought my fair share of recordings (regardless of pressing or format) that didn't sound right. Funny we never blamed the recording engineers back in the day. I guess our expectations were much lower then.

No pun intended. Downloaded it last week. Love it. In fact, I added "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" to my iTunes "audiophile faves" playlist (tracks that make my system sound particularly impressive).

Your mileage may vary. - -Mark B

Mac Mini, Pure Music, iTunes, Lynx Hilo, Merrill Taranis amp, Seta Piccola phono preamp, Phil Jones Platinum Reference One speakers, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.