IGNORED

Edit Duplicate iTunes Genre

MOVED FROM ANOTHER THREAD TO THIS ONE

user RHA said:

While adding music to iTunes I made a couple custom additions to the genre field in the "get info" screen. Somehow I added the same genre twice. Now I can't delete one of the duplicates. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks,

Here is the screenshot

click to enlarge

RHA

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hey RHA - I would like to see what this looks like and who you got where you did. Can you start a new forum topic for this issue? That way you can attach a screenshot if you want to give people a view of what you're looking at. Thanks RHA!

You could also email me a screenshot and I can create the new forum topic etc...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, I'd be happy to try your method but there are 358 songs with the genre "Jazz Vibes". To delete all those genre entries to see if it deletes the custom genre within the Get Info screen, and then re enter the genre and add it to all those songs again... wow that's a lot of work. I sure hope someone out there might have a more direct solution. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and call Apple. Ouch! Thanks!

RHA

Here is my suggestion.

Sort by genre. select all of the songs with the jazz vibes genre. Go to the get info screen. Change the genre to the first jazz vibes for all songs at once. The Jazz Vibes genre should be gone. Yes / No? If not, do the same process but select the second jazz vibes genre and the first one should disappear.

This is from another forum and may or may not work for custom genres as suggested below.

"iTunes comes pre-configured with a long list of genres built in that I never use. So I decided to get rid of them. Here's how to do it.

1. Navigate to /Applications » iTunes.app » Contents » Resources » English.lproj.

2. Open the Localizable.strings file up in a text editor (in my case BEdit).

3. Scroll down until you see /* ===== Genres ===== */

4. Comment out any genres you dont want. I commented all the genres out by placing /* at the beginning, and */ at the end of the list.

5. I also commented out all genres in the /* ===== Reduced Genres ===== */ and the /* ===== CDText Genres ===== */ categories.

The iTunes genres have now vanished from my iTunes library, and all the items labeled with custom genres have remained. As noted, try this at your own risk, as I really don't know if something might break."

Just a quick note to say that custom genre tags aren't allowed in the CDDB database. If you make corrections to a CD, make the genre something custom, and then try to submit the corrections to CDDB you'll be asked to change the genre to one of their standards. So, make the corrections, submit the data, and then assign the custom genre.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...