IGNORED

Ideas needed how to mark location for speakers.

The optimal location for my speakers is 6 feet away from the living room wall. This puts the speakers in front of the couch in an unaesthetic way (according to a certain domestic companion) (actually I agree).

I have the ideal spot for the speakers temporarily marked off with painters tape (see attached photo) and move them back to the sides of the couch when I am not doing serious listening.

I need suggestions as to how to inconspicuously mark the uniform colored carpet so that I can still position my speakers exactly. Any ideas how to mark where the speakers should go?

Getting a new house, a new wife, or digging a basement are beyond the scope of the recommendations I am looking for.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

No need to have a full linear outline. Just mark the corners with four lightky painted dots slightly off-color to the carpert and cover the whole thing with another rug (Persian Silk preferably).

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

Actually you only need to mark two corners. I prefer the longer distance of one front and one rear corner on opposite sides.

As to how to mark those positions in an easy to find way that is acceptable in appearance, maybe getting your wife's opinion would help.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

esldude is right; you only need to mark two corners (diagonally). Another idea would be to mark them by "accidentally" spilling two dots of coffee on the carpet ...

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

Do you really need to mark them at all? In my opinion it is only obsessives who worry about an inch or two (see using a laser rather than a tape measure).

Unless you also clamp your head in a dentist's chair :)

That said, I admit mine are set up within a quarter of an inch and screwed to the floor.

Put a very little mark on the baseboard on the back wall at the middle point of your speaker and keep a six foot "yard stick" handy (or shorter if measuring to the back of your speakers). Lay it out and place your speaker.

-Chris

P.S. Consider remote controlled trap doors.

Marks on the floor are what we all used for years.

With the advent of inexpensive laser range finders, you can get a more accurate reading (because the source for imaging is most affected by the tweeter, and your floor may not be level).

Then you keep the measurements in a handy log, in case something gets inadvertently "adjusted."

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

GPS?

You could store the location at the side of your sofa as a "recent" and your listening position as "home".

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

I've used a couple of pieces of plywood cut to size, but cardboard would do. Put marks at your baseboard that butt up to the back of your speakers. Run square off of the wall and mark using the speaker. Then store the devices in a closet.

Hokey, but it would work w/o marking your floor. The tape and stickers will either wear off of leave gum behind after awhile.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Sounds a bit silly, but the clear Scotch tape works very well indeed, especically if you just use an inch or so of it.

It is difficult to see from any distance, marks the spot exactly, and at least hear, survives months of being ran over by a Dyson four times per week, as well as the cats.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I was always very impressed by the staff that Indiana Jones used in the Map Room to find The Well of Souls and thus the Ark.

Another, less bizarre, suggestion would be to put some magnets under your carpet, when it comes time to work out where to place your speakers just roll some ball bearing across the carpet and see where they end up.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

@blueixus: the magnetic field of the magnets may affect the loudspeaker performance ... :)

.. use an electro magnet that can be switched on for placement and then off for listening....

actually the more i think about it, yes I am busy today, the staff idea is surprisingly adaptable to the modern day living room. Cut a template from cardboard with suitable holes and place it over the suitable/nearest lamp so it shone a beam of light onto the placement spots..

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

...if I put an invisibly small drop of 'catnap essence' on our carpet the cat would always return to that spot..

the laser pointer, but for me it works best to hold it against the side of the speaker cabinet and aim it at a spot on the listening chair. This worked extremely well for me when faced with your problem. Very accurate, repeatable results - and quick, too.

One small caveat; it requires the speaker have a flat enough side!

Let's assume your base is 18" wide. Make a line of tape underneath the front base of your current position, with the correct width. (this will not need to stay there, just allow you to cut cardbaord without your speaker in the way) Make a small cardboard template that is simply as long as the space between the front of your current position and the back of your new one (since they both are the same width). It will likely look a bit like a rhomboid (skewed rectangle). Simply place it against the front of your current position, then move the speakers to butt against it, and make sure the speakers align with the cardboard. This will ensure proper toe in, distance from wall, etc.. That way it doesn't have to be big, doesn't sit under your speakers, etc. Of course, if your current or new locations aren't symmetrical with one another, you'll need to make two cardboard templates, one for each speaker.

Edit: you may want to use the cardboard to return your speakers to the WAF position, too (especially if you don't want to leave that leading edge strip of tape on the floor at the WAF position when your speakers are out in the room). This way you can recreate the move each time.

Otherwise, I agree with all others....no need to mark a square on your rug...it's square..mark two diagonal corners and you're done.

I meant the laser would be for fine tuning. My speakers were not that sensitive to positioning relative to the wall distance. If yours are, I would use a measuring stick or as Jim said, a measuring laser. Sorry - I didn't really think it through very well, did I.

Wow, wow, wow. I never realized there were that many ways to skin this cat. Thanks for the input. If I am not mistaken there is some sort of "gift giving season" coming up in the near future: I may have to let it be known that I want one of them "laser measurer" thingies. (My speakers are very fussy for set-up, in turns out.)

@Jim Smith:

This is all YOUR fault! If I hadn't read your book and discovered just how much better my speakers sound positioned well, I would have remained blissfully ignorant of the optimal position. Well, okay, ... actually, THANK YOU!!!

@esldude:

I DID ask wifie how to inconspiciously mark the spots. She came up with the same answer I did: "I dunno."

@blueixus:

You win the contest for the most off-the-wall but workable idea of using light beams to point out the correct spots. It makes me want to try it.

@4est & ted_b:

The template idea might be the one I have to go for.

@fishnchips:

"bile green"??!!!?? Are you refering to my sofa-shaped bass trap. It's great! The only problem is that I have to look at it rather than sit on it while listening to music.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Just the very thought of getting a laser rangefinder has made my palms all hot and sweaty. Wifie asked what one looks like. I have no idea. Can someone recommend a cheapie that is sold at a big-box store (Sears, Home Depot, etc). (Yes, I did google them and only come up with $300 things.)

Edit:

Found this one at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948277000P?i_cntr=1322533899729

Is this any good?

Maybe my brain in lame mode, but how exactly do you use the laser range finder to position the speaker? Seems a little tricky if your speakers are towed in.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

You started with a straightforward problem, described with a touch of humour. Now we have got to laser rangefinders as the most popular solution. Have you actually tried to USE one of these things for short ranges, for which their design is not optimised? Holding it square to the speaker, wall etc. is not easy. The previous guy mentioned toe in. Just use a couple of sticks, it is quicker, more accurate, and simpler. Or buy a patterned carpet.

"Stupid people make simple things complicated, clever people make complicated things simple" - Einstein

Edit: I've got two tools to measure the wing and tail incidence, and the engine thrust line of model planes. It needs to be a damn sight more accurate than placing a couple of speakers. One is a pendulum in the centre of a stick, with a protractor behind it. The other has a laser pointer with a pendulum at one end of the stick, and a scale at the other end. Guess which is the quicker, easier to use, and most accurate?