IGNORED

Album art / cover art search strategy

great list of sites. i'll start checking these out!

i gave up looking and started just scanning them myself . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
great list of sites. i'll start checking these out!

i gave up looking and started just scanning them myself . . .

Interesting about giving up looking. Using Google Image Search -- the Advanced version, which gives more keyword options -- I've been regularly able to find the following types and eras of album covers in high quality:

• Nearly all new albums
  • Mostly all albums that have been released in the 21st century
  • Quite a few albums from the 1980s and 1990s, especially true for popular or once-popular artists
  • A reasonable share of albums from earlier times, again helped by the level of artist popularity

Playing around with search keywords really makes a difference for me. For example, while I typically start a search with ARTIST NAME ALBUM NAME, sometimes I need to add the words "album" or "cover" or "album cover" after the artist/album keywords. Sometimes I need to try all three options appended after ARTIST NAME ALBUM NAME to find the one that works best for that particular search.

But yes, still need to do my own scanning sometimes, too, not just to find the album cover, per se, but to get a higher quality cover image.

Dave, who doesn't need to search that much for classical albums and more so for pop and folk and country and rock and jazz and alternative and so-called "world" music so perhaps that makes a difference but nevertheless all 2300 albums in his digital collection have covers since they offer multiple types of value when using either the Aurender or the Audirvana Plus apps

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting about giving up looking. Using Google Image Search -- the Advanced version, which gives more keyword options -- I've been regularly able to find the following types and eras of album covers in high quality:

• Nearly all new albums
  • Mostly all albums that have been released in the 21st century
  • Quite a few albums from the 1980s and 1990s, especially true for popular or once-popular artists
  • A reasonable share of albums from earlier times, again helped by the level of artist popularity

Playing around with search keywords really makes a difference for me. For example, while I typically start a search with ARTIST NAME ALBUM NAME, sometimes I need to add the words "album" or "cover" or "album cover" after the artist/album keywords. Sometimes I need to try all three options appended after ARTIST NAME ALBUM NAME to find the one that works best for that particular search.

But yes, still need to do my own scanning sometimes, too, not just to find the album cover, per se, but to get a higher quality cover image.

Dave, who doesn't need to search that much for classical albums and more so for pop and folk and country and rock and jazz and alternative and so-called "world" music so perhaps that makes a difference but nevertheless all 2300 albums in his digital collection have covers since they offer multiple types of value when using either the Aurender or the Audirvana Plus apps

thanks, i'll check it out.

the issue wasn't really that i couldn't find the cover art, but what i found was not necessarily very good quality. if i scan myself, i always know what i'm getting. scanner is right by my pc, so it's just as fast as searching . . . .

jim

(who doesn't have 2300 albums but has a bit of classical and hasn't been able to find decent quality art for other stuff and uses jriver to tag his flac files and fortunately doesn't have any issue with cover art on any other server or control point) :-)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
the issue wasn't really that i couldn't find the cover art, but what i found was not necessarily very good quality. if i scan myself, i always know what i'm getting. scanner is right by my pc, so it's just as fast as searching . . . .

If that's the case, just use Google search. Unless its something rare, you should be able to find something at least 1000x1000, and in most cases, much higher.

. . . Using Google Image Search -- the Advanced version, which gives more keyword options -- I've been regularly able to find the following types and eras of album covers in high quality . . .

checked this out -- very nice. i particularly like being able to set the minimum image size.

I'm on a Mac and use the YATE app to tag my files.

YATE is a really great tagging program that you can train to almost automatically bring your tags in form using scripts you can write and/or using Music Brains and Discogs etc.

It has a context-menu item called "Auto Search for Artwork" that retrieves covers mostly at 1400x1400 or 1500x1500 in very good quality and finds almost every album i have.

I highly recommend trying this app!