IGNORED

AB Testing

I would like to hope you are right. Do you have any references/data showing that really is what is going on?

I don't, but the general feeling I get when visiting places where vinyl records are being sold is that it must be. For all it matters, this article seems to acknowledge it. Why Young Generation Of Music Fans Make Vinyl Albums Cool Again | ArticleCube.com

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
I don't, but the general feeling I get when visiting places where vinyl records are being sold is that it must be.

Right - as I wrote, I am hoping you are right, but I would love to have some numbers to support it. The problem is that while there are more people in the vinyl shops, there are fewer vinyl shops...

For all it matters, this article seems to acknowledge it. Why Young Generation Of Music Fans Make Vinyl Albums Cool Again | ArticleCube.com

Well... "Younger music lovers are learning just how special albums are with artwork, photos, and liner notes inside. Items like pull-out photos and full size posters make iPod users see what is possible with long playing albums. These extra things give you a feeling of closeness with your favorite artist.

You will see just how special vinyl can be with Radiohead vinyl, Metallica vinyl, or even old collector vinyl. There is nothing like building great memories listening to records with your family and friends. With digital downloads, you will never be able to create the same social experience like you do around a turntable and LP’s."

I would say that is emphasizing the non-audio-quality aspects of it...

Right - as I wrote, I am hoping you are right, but I would love to have some numbers to support it. The problem is that while there are more people in the vinyl shops, there are fewer vinyl shops...

A quick search on the internet reveals that vinyl sales have supposedly doubled between 2008 and 2010. The younger generation most definately plays a big part in it, according to various news sources.

I would say that is emphasizing the non-audio-quality aspects of it...

Yes, I think that is also correct but most young people still admit that it sounds better. Just try to imagine what would truly happen if all young people actually had access to good turntable setups as well as good loudspeakers instead of just an average multimedia computer that can play CD rips.

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
A quick search on the internet reveals that vinyl sales have supposedly doubled between 2008 and 2010. The younger generation most definately plays a big part in it, according to various news sources.

Well it may have doubled... But when it doubles from 10 sales to 20 sales it's pretty insignificant. Not quite that insignificant but according to the Ken Kessler opinion piece sales rose to 3.9 million (from 2.8m in 2010): to give context Adele sold 5.8m copies of her album 21.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

to give context Adele sold 5.8m copies of her album 21.

Eloise

Don't you mean mean copies of her "recording"? I keep thinking of albums as vinyl.

Oh, and I agree 100% on your assesment of vinyl sales. The movement is overblown in my estimation. I do however think that the used vinyl market is fairly vibrant.

David

Don't you mean mean copies of her "recording"? I keep thinking of albums as vinyl.

To me an album is a collection of tracks put together (by the artist). As opposed to selling individual tracks. But yes I can see your point!

Oh, and I agree 100% on your assessment of vinyl sales. The movement is overblown in my estimation. I do however think that the used vinyl market is fairly vibrant.

I do recall a year or so ago that it was reported that sales of turntables were higher than sales of CD players in the UK. But both are pretty minuscule compared with sales of iPods and iPod docks/speaker systems.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I do recall a year or so ago that it was reported that sales of turntables were higher than sales of CD players in the UK.

They obviously didn't compare TT sales with those of DVD and BluRay players which are also used for CD playback.

DVD players have for some time, replaced straight CD players as used by the general public.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020