IGNORED

Help Please, files disappeared from hard drive

Can anyone help me? I lost some music files I ripped and I'm not sure if it was a HD beginning-to-fail issue or come kind of virus.

Here's the story. Western Digital external HD. Files cataloged in folders alphabetically. Suddenly, the folders Q - Z are gone. And interestingly, I can access all of my other files except those in the folder labeled "H." When I try to open that folder, the computer tells me the disc is not formatted.

I ran recovery software, which interestingly, showed the files I had previously deleted as recoverable, but there was no sight of any of the current files from the disappearing Q - Z folders.

I'm running Windows XP on a Sony FZ series Viao laptop.

thanks,

ron

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I don't use iTunes. I attach the drive to my WD HD Media Player directly and use its player. But I don't think the media player is the cause although I could surely be wrong. What is so strange is that one folder, the H folder, reports the disk is unformatted. The rest of the A-P folders are fine. Only the Q-Z folders disappeared.

Anyhow, I am so happy you replied to my plea as I felt a little abandoned.

I've only used the drive to copy some of the files onto another HD. When I get time, I"m gonna' investigate more closely.

thanks again,

ron

• 4 weeks later...

esldude,

Thanks a bundle for your advice. I've been busy with work and haven't been reading too much on CA so didn't see your comment until tonight.

Luckily, I thought to give the windows' Error Checking utility. It took 12 hours or so to scan the drive, but after it finished, I was totally floored to see that all the file were back and intact.

I think the master file(s) that index the drive somehow became corrupted. In any case, I am so happy to have resolved this favorably.

thank you again :)

ron

Thanks Chris!

Usually, I eject teh disc before disconnecting, but I must admit, before I learned about turning off the media library indexing feature, I'd sometimes get impatient and disconnect drive improperly in mild disgust :)

Now, more than ever, I'll follow the rules to avoid losing files.

Happy New Year,

ron