IGNORED

DAC w/ BNC inputs

Wyred4Sound reconfigured one of the RCA inputs on my DAC-2 as a BNC input without extra charge when I ordered it.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Apart from asking why you would rule a DAC out because of the connection (yes I know BNC is theoretically superior to Phono for 75ohm coax) I'll offer Naim DAC and Chord QBD76

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Bel Canto DAC3.5VB has it and it's good up to 24/192. I use the BNC connection myself.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

Thanks for the heads up folks.

I'm actually thinking about expanding my home theater setup, so I was looking for a DAC to hang off a Mac Mini.

I think $1500 would be a good limit.

I was looking at the Eastern Electric MiniMax+ today, and I've been browsing a few others, like the Wyred DAC2, Burson DA-160, the Wavelength Proton and even an HRT Streamer II+. Many of those don't do BNC, but I can slap a BNC-to-RCA adapter on my Legato if I have to (or just go native USB, assuming its available).

Just not sure how much it's worth investing here for a system that will be used for audio only irregularly ....

The system is Marantz AV7005 w/ Bel Canto amplifiers and Joseph Audio RM7xl + Cinergy 6.1xl, if that helps.

Scot,

Since Legato is limited to 16/44.1, how about a NOS (non oversampling) DAC instead? Such as an Audio Note 2.1B: http://www.audionotekits.com/dac2_1.html? The kit's price is US$1,550 but it doesn't have a BNC input. Or a vintage Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 (no BNC either). Just a thought.

BTW, how good is Legato? Did you have a chance to compare it to other USB to SPDIF converters?

Roc

@socrates...

I think a BNC to Phono cable would be preferable to adding a BNC to Phono adaptor.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.