IGNORED

Mac mini set up

findog3103

Bought a standard Mac mini and upgraded the memory myself. I will run iTunes with bit perfect, Audirvana, or just Decibel. The mini will be connected via USB to the iNova. What I would like to know is same basic set up advice: what to turn on, off, what parameters the mini should be set to. For example, should spotlight be turned off?

Thanks.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

it is sometimes tough to find everything in one place.

Go to this site and click on the "Optimization Guide for Apple". Larry has written a good article on doing what you need. I'm sure there are other articles, but this one came to mind.

http://www.ultrafi.biz/

Thanks for the help. Very informative. Next: what's the best way to copy my music library with playlists from the LaCie hard drive to the Mac mini?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Why do you need to copy to the Mini? Are you replacing your iMac with the Mini, or is this a new & separate system. I you're replacing the iMac, why not just use the LaCie?

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

This is the replacing the iMac on the third floor but I also want the iMac on the second floor to use the home sharing on the Mac mini. The LaCie will be used for backup so the library will be in three places: LaCie, Mac mini, and time machine at work. I also like to eliminate one wired (LaCie) device in the system when playing music and not have the LaCie on all the time as the Mac mini will be on basically 24/7 when we are home.

If your LaCie has Firewire, the easiest & fastest way to go would be connecting the Mini via Firewire & copy. I'd believe the whole iTunes folder should be copied, but I haven't done this in a while.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

That's what I thought: copy the whole library into the music folder on the mini so it includes the library and playlists files, and the opening iTunes with the option key so as to select the copied library.

Thanks.