IGNORED

Longer USB cable for my Ayre QB-9: which one?

Hi all.

I need to buy a longer USB cable than the stock USB cable that came with my Ayre QB-9(1,5 - 3 meters):

Does Ayre have a preference/ their own longer cable that I can buy from them?

I looked at the Ayre website but couldn't seem to find a way to e-mail them.

Thanks for any suggestions. So far I have my eyes set on an expensive Aqvox USB cable that has received some good reviews on this side of the big pond.

Best wishes,

Peter

Caps V3 music player.

"USB Cable Requirements

Perhaps the one weakness of USB is that the maximum cable length is somewhat limited, typically 3 meters (~10') to 5 meters (~16'). We have found that one of the most common problems encountered when setting up a USB-based music system is the cable itself. Regardless of any claims from the cable manufacturer, we have found that performance can degrade when exceeding 3 meters. Ayre cannot guarantee the operation or performance of any system utilizing a USB cable longer than 3 meters.

In the case when it is not possible to locate the USB D/A converter within 3 meters of the computer, Ayre has found that the Icron USB extender works well. It is claimed to work up to 100 meters. We have tested it up to 100' and have no reason to doubt their claim. It also operates reliably at speeds up to 192 kHz, even with the asynchronous operation used in the Ayre A/D converters which requires concurrent signal transmission in both directions. It is not inexpensive, at around $325 in the US, but a low-cost ($50) USB extender we tested did not function at all with an Ayre USB D/A converter. There may be other similar products that work well, but we have not tested them and cannot verify their performance. "

Also, take a look at this thread started by Charles Hansen: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/USB-Extender-Solves-Cable-Length-Limitation

Ayre does not do e-mail. You can search the archives at audioasylum if you want to know their reasoning (the short of it is they feel e-mails are inefficient, time-consuming, and can lead to misunderstandings compared to speaking with someone). By far, your best bet for customer support is to call the factory and ask for Michael. He is super helpful. I think I read here or on audioasylum (tho' I can't find the post) that Charles Hansen has found a handful of USB cables that he thinks out-perform the stock cable. IIRC, they are Cardas, AudioQuest, and Transparent. I think he would recommend you listen to some cables in your own system.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Thanks Beetlemania - very helpful answer!

I'll go look at the threads and all. I know that Aqvox has a 30 days return policy, so I will be able to listen to that cable in my system. I would like to end up with a cable that enables the Ayre to shine without tampering with it sonic balance.

Best wishes,

Peter

Caps V3 music player.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a 3 meter-long Aqvox USB cable to test. It is incredibly hard to finds shops that stock quality USB cables in Denmark, so I decided to order one directly from Aqvox in Germany. There is a sensible 30-days money back guarantee. I'll let you know how this cable compares to the stock USB cable delivered with my Ayre QB-9.

Best wishes,

Peter

Caps V3 music player.