IGNORED

Asus EEE Top- Touchscreen XP based computer

Just got sent an email from ebuyer.com and it contained this Asus computer

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150606

Looks interesting, seems to have most things necessary, is £440 (and of course no monitor necessary), and is available in white/black. Not for me as I have a mac mini at the moment, but perhaps one to consider for XP fans? I guess USB dacs/transports only though.

What do you think?

They're around 200 quid without tochscreen.

They'll cope with 720p video playback too.

If you use digi out or USB DAC, have external optical drive and an external hard drive they've a lot going for them.

Factor in drive costs and you go a long way to getting a real PC. There's little scope for expansion either. On the other hand they're unobtrusive, near silent, and consume very little power. All HTPC plusses.

Would they work well on a network as a controller where media is held on another PC and streams via EEE PC to hifi?

Seems like that might be a better solution, certainly as a headless server where you don't need to spend £200+ on a screen.

Though if you do need a screen, and like the touch interface, it seems like a good deal- my little 7 inch touchscreen was £150 if memory serves. Anyway, just thought I'd flag it up in case anyone was interested.

Cheers

Andy