IGNORED

sonos or cambridge np30?

I am experiencing a bit of confusion. i went to my local home audio shop ans played with the sonos, i like it because i can use the service to find an artist's music i feel like hearing quickly. sometimes i do not want to listen to a station's play list. i want something specific. the sonos bridges the gap to me i can use the net to find what i want instead of just playing radio. the dealer demo blew my mind.

then i did some research on the cambridge np30. it has the internet radio i want but i do not know if it has the sonos feature that i like as well. i honestly do not know what to call that feature . sorry to sound stupid but i am lost on this and i would like to get just one box that does internet radio, network music and the sonos feature. what is that sonos feature called and can the cambridge np30 do it ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a similar quandry. The Cambridge unit won't play apple lossless which kills it for me and doesn't have the interconnection capability of the Sonos. It does however have superior playback capabilities which is nice. You might also check out Logitech's squeezebox Touch.

Ray

Ray[br]Viola Player| Parasound HP-850, Acurus A100, Technics SL-M3, Velodyne SPL-II, Mirage Omni 250, Musical Fidelity V-DAC

And I think it is a quite good playback device. I stream FLAC files from a server machine. Alternately, a connected USB device can also be used. Files are CD 16/44 grade up to 24/96 files from HDTracks. This works very well and the sound is great.

The NP30 can be controlled using the included remote or with buttons and selection knob on the device. The NP30 can use the UUVol software from Cambridge. This runs on an iPhone or iPad and lets you do file selection/control of the NP30 from the i device. Like iPeng for the Touch family which is also quite good. The NP30 is a UPnP device so is quite universal, the Touch uses Squeezebox server so is more proprietary.

The NP30 will let you select playback based on numerous criterion including: folder selection, album selection, artist selection or song selection. You can filter according to music types and build play lists according to what the listener wants.

Overall, not as rich as the Sonos but is more of an audiophile device offering much better audio. The NP30 can be as rich if UUVol and an iPad is used to control playback.

Are you dead set on only those two options?

If not, look at the Squeezebox stuff - a Touch is a little less expensive than a Sonos device, handles input up to 24/96, and plays ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, WAV, APE, OGG and a dozen or so more. Wireless too. :)

Hooked to a nice DAC, the Logitech Touch qualifies (IMNSHO) as a true Audiophile device, despite the minuscule cost (by audiophile standards!)

Like the Sonos, plays your music from anything from a connected USB disc to a remote server.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'd second Paul's suggestion of the Squeezebox Touch.

Short of Naim or Linn (or maybe PS Audio) streamers, the Touch either by itself or with a DAC is the best alternative to a computer type (defined to include Sonore / Auraliti devices) I have come across. Easily beats Yamaha, Rotel, Marantz type streamers when matched with a DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

PERSONALLY THE SONOS GOT ME BECAUSE ICOULD GO LOOKING FOR NEW MUSIC AND SEE IF I LIKE IT ENOUGH TO BUY IT. I PLAN TO USE IT MORE AS A PREVIEW , EXPOSURE TOOL TO EXPAND MY LIBRARY. THE PROB I HAVE WITH INTERNET RADIO IS THE FACT THAT A DJ IS STILL PICKING MUSIC FOR YOU. I WANT THAT SOMETIMES NOT ALL THE TIME