IGNORED

iTunes > AudioMIDI no restart required now???

poop

I would love some users with DACs that can verify to test the new version of iTunes...

It seems that one of our much desired iTunes features may have been implemented in the background without our (or at least my) knowing it. I have a friend who has emailed to explain that he recently upgraded iTunes and noticed when changing sample rate in AudioMIDI that his DAC indicated the change without having to restart iTunes. Previously iTunes would have to be restarted for the change to take effect.

Can anyone verify this please? Just want to be sure it isn't something odd happening with the DAC used.

Fingers crossed!!!

Hello. New here, although I have been lurking for a couple of weeks. The site is just an amazing resource. I have learned so much, reading through the forums. Thanks.

Anyway; I also can verify this. Using a Macbook and itunes 8 into a Cambridge 840C I just changed midi settings sample rate while a song was actually playing and the DAC showed the change in real time.

- John.

It also seems to apply to QuickTime, as well.

I played an AVI file via QT and the change was capable of being applied in real time as the file was playing.

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

Now what we need is for Audio Midi to change automatically (and according to a set of user-defined rules) in response to different file resolutions, so we can play 24/96 files without having to manually make changes to the settings each time we change from Redbook to high-rez or back again.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

An article from Benchmark Audio suggests setting Audio Midi at 24/96 and forgetting about it thereafter. I have tried this, and it seems to work. But, how does one get 24/192 or 24/176 from a Macbook to an DAC (other than the Weiss DAC2-Minerva)? And, what are Apple Pro Tools and where does one find them?

Downsampling is bad, but would upsampling hurt?

I can see it being a wasted effort (it's not going to make a 16/44.1 file better), but it shouldn't hurt, right?

As mentioned above, any reason not to just leave it at 24/96 all the time?

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

>any reason not to just leave it at 24/96 all the time?

The reason is that your Mac may do a poorer job of upsampling than your DAC does, if your DAC upsamples. I don't know that this is the case, but it makes sense to me, and I think I get better sound from 16/44 files if AM is set to 16/44 or 24/44 than when set to 24/96.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Sorry for the false alarm guys... I have never personally had a DAC that locks onto the signal to indicate sample rate. Seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice perhaps a bit misleading based on this experience :(

Guess we'll have to keep waiting and hoping.

Chris, if Audi Midi is changing the sample rate, and it's showing up on your DAC accordingly, how are you able to determine the bit level iTunes is operating at, independent of what's coming out of the digital out?

Unless one is using some kind of software development tool that might tell this.

Not all upsampling algorithms are equally effective so it would depend on the algorithm your DAC uses vs that used by the computer. I would think in most cases, setting the midi output to 16/44.1 for CD quality material would be best, so letting the external DAC do all of the maths. Only listening will tell, of course.