IGNORED

Yet another guy seeking DAC advice

Everytime I feel like the hunt for the right DAC for my system has ended, another bit of research turns up a contender. There have been the $1000-1500 "flashes in the pan" but I believe my decision will drift substantially higher. A recent rationaliztion: flexibility is key, for me. It will be the piece that sticks around for a while and the other components will play catch-up. I have built some great systems in the past by playing "leap frog". The Ayre QB-9 was the central considration for a week but the AR DAC-8 has the flexibility I seek and it is now the principal consideration. I am also warming to the concept of a matched Audio Research system (Pre, DAC, AMP). A used Berkeley could be be a great solution to your quandry. Buying new, the Ayre would be my choice for the budget target, with surplus (more money for cable game)! My other leading consideration is bit rate. Due to the hard drive space, and availability of 192 material, I don't consider 24/192 a high priorirty, personally. If you do want the bleeding-edge, the Antelope Gold reviews well but I have not listened to one. It's a preamp with remote, 32/384 capable, lots of input flexibilty and upgradeable with a matched power supply.

The journey is lot of the fun!