IGNORED

Yet another guy seeking DAC advice

@AudioDoctor: Excellent suggestion! Why didn't I think of that?

@darascal: The Grand Integrated would allow you to replace your v-link, Nova (pre) and your LFD power amp with single unit.

I heard both the Grand Pre and the Grand Integrated at RMAF. They both sounded fantastic. I spent most of my time there listening to the Grand Integrated, which was driving a pair of Sonus Faber Elipsa speakers. The fit and finish of the new 400WPC Grand Integrated, combined with Peachtree's signature styling is really outstanding. It has async USB, multiple coax and optical S/PDIF ports and analog inputs as well as a tube buffered preamp on which you can switch the tube in and out of the circuit, just like your Nova. We pored over it, crawled behind with with a flashlight and were impressed. It is a very well thought out product and sounds at least as good as it looks.

Honestly, Peachtree had one of the best-sounding rooms at the show. A real standout. The new Grand series takes them to a new level of sonic and build quality. They are based here in Bellevue, Washington and the icing on the cake is that this new high end series is being manufactured in the USA!

The founders, David Solomon and Jim Spainhour were kind and gracious hosts. It was clear that their work at Peachtree is a labor of love. They seemed genuinely touched when people expressed how much they enjoy their products.

At the moment, listening to:

Squeezebox Touch > Peachtree iDecco > Zu Audio Omen

@darascal: Since you haven't done so yet, it'd be worth listening to your Benchmark again with your Harbeth speakers. Harbeths don't seem to be very source-sensitve. That is, they will sound great with all sorts of electronics, including (ca. 1979) Yamaha CA-810 integrated amplifier that I bought for $120. Alan Shaw isn't kidding when he says he does his design work, he just grabs whatever solid state amplifier is sitting on the shelf in their storage room. He always says that any "good quality" amplifier made after 1985 or so will do just fine. And wire them up with plain old zip cord.

In particular, they will never sound harsh, even with aggressive-sounding sources like the DAC1. In fact, I have always felt that the DAC1 just added that little extra edge to the Harbeths that is quite appealing.

Would love to hear your opinion when you've heard the DAC1 on your Harbeths.