IGNORED

Yet another guy seeking DAC advice

Hi,

I'm beginning research to upgrade my DAC and would like to winnow out the field to a reasonable number before I start auditioning.

My current system is Mac Mini => MF V-LINK => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3.

My requirements:

Great sound that will compliment my existing system (I listen to a wide variety of music). This requirement by far trumps the others.

Looks matter! If it looks like it would be at home in a recording studio, it won't be at home in my living room!

Flexible inputs would be a plus. While I'm very impressed by what I've heard of the Ayre QB-9 and Wavelength Cosecant, I'm a little hesitant to buy a USB-only DAC, but I'm not dead-set against it. I currently run my CD player through my DAC, though I don't use it much & it's not too bad sounding through its analog outputs (Music Hall cd25.2).

The ability to play high res files would be a plus. I'm currently I'm only playing Redbook, but may eventually venture into Hi-Res territory.

US West Coast dealers available, so I can audition and preferably have a home trial.

Max price is around $3,500 US, though I'm flexible.

I'm also open to a major upgrade of my USB converter, if necessary.

Thanks!

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Thanks all for your feedback.

@ericucu - Yes, I've taken note of the Antelope. Lovely piece of gear, though the non-standard height is a bit weird. It also has a bunch of features I don't need - remote, headphone amp, balanced inputs - and I'll be paying for them. Still, worth considering.

@autoformer - So far, I've preferred the warmth of my Nova's Dac over the benchmark, but I haven't A/B'd them since I got my Harbeths recently. Worth a try.

@Barrows

I hear ya, but having a CD player has some advantages - when guests come over w/ CD's (bit of pain to rip, especially since I do AIFF), and I also have a handful of CD's that refuse to rip, but play perfectly on the CDP. Still, I might be able to live with the lower quality analog output of the MH, since I don't use it much.

Interesting opinion that I'd have to jump to 6K to best the QB-9. Better even than the Cosecant you think?

@SteveChicago - that's the main thing - how will it play w/ my speakers. That's encouraging feedback.

Another DAC that's a natural for my setup is the Naim Dac. But I dunno - It has features I probably won't use (USB connectivity for thumb-drive, iPod connection), it's black (bleh!) and may get quite pricey with a suitable USB converter. Plus, I do like the simplicity of the half-width Dacs. The Naim sounds great though.

Again, thanks all for your feedback. Other opinions definitely welcome!

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

Thanks again folks for the interesting advice.

@AudioDoctor

I'm very intrigued by the new higher-end Peachtree entries, which look gorgeous. I'd love to check them out. Clearly Peachtree's a company that is going places.

However, I LOVE my LFD integrated. (I'm actually only using the Nova's Dac.) The LFD is a beautiful sounding amp with a simple yet elegant design. It's a wildly popular combination with Harbeth. (Stereophile Class A, from what I recall, for whatever that's worth.) I'm kind of attached to it. And its mighty 50 watts is more than enough to power my C7'S. So I'm more interested in channeling my dollars into a stand-alone Dac that will compliment my LFD/Harbeth combo.

@wdw - Hmm, second-hand BADA, interesting. I've not heard it, though of course I've heard all the raves. A little techie-looking, though not exactly ugly. But it seems there may be some considerable extra expense for a USB converter that would do it justice. I'd probably lean toward the WaveLink - $900. (And currently only one BADA on A'gon @ $3750. Still, it's tempting, but I'm hesitant to spend that much sight un-seen. Maybe I can find a dealer that still carries a series 1 so I can have a listen. Worth considering on the high-end side.

Thanks to you all once again!

Rascal

@spdif-usb & @Jud, thanks for your (somewhat conflicting) opinions. While the Eastern Electric looks interesting and worth keeping in mind, the trusted reputations of Ayre & Wavelength inspire a good bit of confidence in me. @Jud, interesting info on Ayre/Wavelength, I'd love hear them both in my system & they're edging their way up toward my short list. I just wish they made Dacs with at least coax & optical inputs. So far, the only non-USB-only Dac that has my attention is the Wyred4Sound Dac2 (and it ain't exactly pretty).

@Autoformer - It's interesting & somewhat perplexing what Shaw claims about amps in relation to the Harbeths. Makes me wonder why so many Harbeth owners also own $3-6k amps (including me!) and $3k CDP's. It also make you wonder (as you suggest) if that lack of particular-ness also applies to Dacs. I will definitely give the Benchmark a try with the Harbeths. Interestingly, I recently hooked up my old first-gen HRT Streamer to my main system & was shocked at how good it sounded! Makes me wonder if I should upgrade or downgrade! I'll let you know my impressions after I hook up the Benchmark.

Thanks you all again!

Rascal

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your response. I contacted the EE distributor to see if there are any dealers in my area.

One other advantage to buy one of the "Giants" is also ease of resale and resale value.

In any case, have fun with your new amp and speakers!

Rascal

A used Berkeley could be be a great solution to your quandry.

Actually, the inputs aren't quite flexible for me. I'd like SPDIF and either a high-quality async USB input or another SPDIF input, plus an optical input. If the Berkeley had another SPDIF input it might be a contender.

The Zodiac Gold is interesting, but perhaps a bit overkill for my needs & the price tag (I believe around $3700) is pushing my budget a bit.

Thanks for your feedback & enjoy your journey.

Rascal