IGNORED

Slow itunes on NAS

Guest Luka Jela?a

Guest Luka Jela?a

Hi

I recently bought Synology 411 slim, slide on HD in and start copying music (consolidate files from itunes library). I also put itunes library .itl file on Nas. Now when I open itunes on my laptop it takes ages to open and it's ver slow when try to navigate library. I have enabled home sharing but when I try to pen shared libraries on my iphone, it tries to open it but it takes too long and than nothing. Nas is hardwired and laptop is wi fi.

Can please someone give some advice here

Thank you

Luka

• 2 weeks later...

Dual Atom CPU - is the answer for a decent media NAS. If you want more, here is my story.

About a year ago I bought a Synology DS410(Marvel CPU, just like yours) based and after experiencing not just slow copying, every device is connected through a Gigabit Router, but also while playing if I tried to modify meta info on one of the files, or even view a directory of files through SMB or AFP, my music would be interrupted, plus I could hear how 410 was struggling with HD access.

I attributed it to two things:

1. My collection at that point was ~650Gb and it is just too big.

2. Non Intel CPU cannot hangle more than one thing efficiently.

I liked the construction of this NAS, liked 4 drives, liked the GUI, but performance just sucked, it is probably fine for an office with small file documents, not for media storage.

So, I've returned Synology and re-started my research for a 'Media NAS'.

It was very painful if you have to balance a tight budget with selecting a NAS powerful enough to handle large collection.

I ended up with QNAP TS-259+, not really cheap, but now I can play music of it and at the same time do - TimeMachine backups of 2-3 computers, modify my music files anyway I please, copy/delete new files, watch Movies that are also stored there - no problem at all.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

Really? I was thinking of a Synology DS411 Slim to be the media server for my iTunes library, which has about 300GB and counting but your statement makes me think twice...

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

lots of hirez (up 24/384k PCM and DSD) and have never had a hiccup. My iTunes-based (Pure Music and Audirvana Plus) searches/browsing is instantaneous, etc. I'm thinking some setup issues may be your culprit.

I've also got a ds411 slim, connected via wired network and have had no problems so far, admittedly only a few weeks. it did take a long time to format the disks and then consolidate iTunes, but access speed is fast (not instant, maybe half a second).

synology includes a itunes media server within the ds411 box, which I do NOT use. I only use the NAS as storage. I would carefully check the setup of the disk station first before condemning the NAS; I understand that the data rates we ask the NAS to deliver for even hi res music is not even close to anything that should trouble it.

mike

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

So i shouldn't have any trouble streaming content with the slim (iTunes Server) connected to a powerline to a Linn Sneaky DS in the living room?

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

NAS iTunes server app (not my cup of tea; would MUCh rather just use NAS as storage, and point more local iTunes to it) or powerline (used to do it years ago with 2Wire router, and had numerous problems).

Vitor, I have no idea about the server app provided by Synology that runs on the diskstation since I have never used it; as I say I just use the NAS as storage. I did read somewhere that the Synology iTunes server app had some limitations, limited to 16-bit etc I think, so I decided to ignore it completely.

I run iTunes 'natively' on a Mac Mini, with the NAS providing a shared drive over the network. I store my media files and the iTunes library files on the NAS.

Mike

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Maybe i didn't make myself clear...what i'm thinkinf of is:

Living room: speakers > linn sneaky > ethernet cable to router > powerline (devolo perhaps)

Office > powerline > DS411 Slim with iTunes library in it

Will this setup "work" without any problems?

(i don't understand much about networks and how they function)

If somebody can give any assistence will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have attempted to use NAS storage twice as a component of my company's server setup. The latest is a Seagate Black Armor 220.

Both attempts have had abysmal results. Slow and erratic!

I concur with the suggestion of using a Intel Atom all-in-one motherboard as the basis for building a system and is my plan for sometime this winter.

Chuck Elliot

Emotiva XDA-1

Sony BDPS560 (Bluray)

SA 8300HD DVR (Time Warner)

Onkyo 808 (spot reserved for Emotiva XMC-1)

Emotiva UPA-5

Emotiva UPA-2

Anthem MCA-20 (Sub Amp)

Klipsch Heresy III - L/R

Klipsch Heresy I - C

Klipsch Heresy I - L/R Surrounds

JBL HLS-810 L/R Rear Surrounds

NHT 1259 Subs 2-Homebuilt