IGNORED

USB to S/PDIF converter for Bel Canto DAC2.5

As I understand it the initial "beta" design did not have sufficient shielding to handle the USB powered Stello so it would not sync. The new design has beefed up shielding with the same "lively" sound characteristics and now works great.

This is an interesting topic, as I too am leaning towards adding a S/PDIF to USB converter to my current Mac Mini>USB cable>Wyred4Sound DAC2>Anthem 225 integrated amp setup.

Barrows, you stated a little while back, "SPDIF is a flawed format. A well designed asynchronous USB DAC will outperform SPDIF." Can you help me out here?

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers

"SPDIF is a flawed format. A well designed asynchronous USB DAC will outperform SPDIF."

SPDIF bundle the data signal together with the clock, hence both is compromised (higher jitter).

Asych USB goes have this problem as it only carries data (no clock).

So in theory the Asych USB is better.

however, USB is affected by the power supply and the ground of the PC, which are usually fairly dirty, so in real life, which one is better, it all depends on the implementation.

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Jitter measurements have shown Async USB to result in less jitter than SPDIF.

Peruse measurements at sterophile.com of DACs and CDPs for the information.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Im going to to take issue with your response to DM... Not in the content which was factually correct, but in what you failed to address.

DM's post doesn't doubt jitter is lower with async USB, however he also raised interesting comments about the noise within a PC and susceptibility of DACs to that noise being transmitted via USB. I would be interested in your response to that observation...

The part I'm referring to is "USB is affected by the power supply and the ground of the PC, which are usually fairly dirty, so in real life, which one is better, it all depends on the implementation."

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.