IGNORED

SOtM USB-tx and noise filters

Hmmm.... last few days, I have been having some problem with Sotm TX-USB card again. I have been getting some annoying ticking noise randomly. It could happen once per track or ten times per tracks pretty much on any music I played. The noise is almost like playing LP with a bad scratch on the surface. When plugging through mobo USB port, the ticking noise disappeared unfortunately with significant drop in sound quality and increased background noise :(

I am using Playback Design MPS-5/PD USB-X/JRMC17/Win7. I tried reinstalling USB-X driver (tried 2 different versions, the 1.0 and 1.1), took out USB card and reinstalled it. Chaning buffer time on JRMC did not do anything. HD has sata filter on it. I did not notice any ticking noise initially when I used the card and only noticed it over the past 4-5 days. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I only have one PCI slot on my card so I could not try a different slot.

This sounds very similar to what I had while trying out an upgrade USB cable. I would have the ticks with that particular high end cable but switching to even a generic cable eliminated the ticks completely.

Maybe worth trying a different USB cable, even a cheap generic one.

Good luck,

Bill

This is a real bummer. I was using JPS Superconductor 3 cable. Did not even think about USB cable as a culprit. When I installed Sotm card initially, I was using my friend's Audioquest Diamond usb. There was also no problem there as I recalled I took out USB cable in put in generic USB but there was some problem with my computer not recognizing the USB connection. May be I had a bad cable so I put in Locus Design Polestar USB cable and so far ticking noise is gone when using Sotm card. I am not sure why this is the case since JPS cable works well mobo USB. Anyhow, I generally prefer using JPS cable over Locus USB when using mobo USB output but certainly prefer Locus USB/Sotm over JPS/Mobo USB. JPS USB cable is rather stiff, may be the way I have everything arranged, there is too much torque on the cable termination and the contact is not as good perhaps.

Hi Suteetat,

I tested the SOtM in my system and found that I couldn't use the lower range USB packet transfer times I am used to. So, there *is* something different.

I wasn't using the complete bandwidth (of 480Mbs) at all, but tried 32/768 and 32/384, both with the same result.

The USB cable I used is an el cheapo one (think 3 euros), and I always use this.

The other subject : I couldn't test it sound wise really because of the higher "buffer" I had to use, but anyway could not find a "worse sound" really.

I measured it as well, and saw no difference anywhere; since this would be about the noise influence, I think I should have measured a different pattern of noise, and without that I can't imagine an impact sound wise. Not for this "application".

But also please notice that this by itself says nothing I think, because in my case (the NOS1) I claim no need for such an application anyway. As USB cables shouldn't influence (as long as they are electrically OK).

All 'n all, when you want to influence this, try to find a "streaming buffer" size somewhere, because it is this one which has its influence for the SOtM. My usual 2ms wouldn't work (ticks all over and hardware impeded (which I could measure)). 8ms was okay, and I didn't try anything in between.

Lastly notice that the errors implied, can be influenced by better cabling or a different topology used. This I didn't try either, but maybe it was a surprise to me that it looks like this in the first place, for a device which just should avoid these things. Dunno.

Kind regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

when you say, "I measured it as well, and saw no difference anywhere" you open yourself up to being proven wrong. Be advised that I sent the entire SOtM DIY product line to a highly regarded manufacturer for testing. They reported to us that these products are the real deal. I'm also told that they are recommending the products to there dealers. I hope you don't take this wrong way, but their opinion dwarfs yours in comparison...

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

www.sales.sonore.us

Hi Jesus,

I'm afraid you're in the defence where it isn't necessary to be. I think I added that this is about the NOS1 of which I "claim" such an application can't help. And so it does not (because I now measured it).

So please notice that this is my own fair response to again my own theories I vented earlier in this thread. I thought it was better to let this be practice than theories only, right ?

So, it is not related to the SOtM at all. Well, it is for those situations that it just CAN NOT help. My case is one of those, and maybe there are more.

Heck, I know what I did to get rid of this stupid noise ...

Ok ?

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I asked SOtM this some time ago and the recommended a DC 12V 6800mAh rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that you can find on ebay. I use a medium size dry cell battery though. The current draw will vary depending on the connected devices...

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

www.sales.sonore.us

The SOtM manual states max at 2A. I assume this is with both USB ports drawing 500mA each, and at startup. I am going to try powering mine with a shunt regulator set up to deliver around 700mA-800mA and then I will measure current draw in use to get an ideal of the real in use current draw. I should be able to post my findings in a week or so. Considering how little heat comes off of the board, I expect actual in use current draw will be much lower.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

At idle, we measured 40mA. However, actual in-use figures vary widely according to which DAC you're using, and whether or not you use the ground-lift. Given that most serious users are not going to be using the second port, its power requirements are modest enough not to present a problem for most supplies. Transients of 500mA per socket have to be accommodated according to USB specs; the manual has to be on the safe side...

• 3 weeks later...

wushuliu

You would be better off using some kind of active filter e.g. a "shunt" regulator with low, or no voltage drop,instead of 2 passive filters in series.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Having used these SotM procuts in my PC for several months now, there is no way I would ever consider going without them.

Jesus, the one thing I regret is that none of these products are of any use for laptops, notebooks, netbooks, etc. Obviously there simply isn't any room available inside them.

It would be wonderful if SotM could come up with a way of getting the same sort of USB quality from a netbook as from a PC, but I suppose such a thing is an impossibility?

Wushuliu

You should now have received a reply from me by email with schematics and photos.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Jesus

email has been sent.

Kind Regards

Alex