IGNORED

SOtM USB-tx and noise filters

They really need to be engineered and tested for them to work well. The ferrites on VGA cables and power cords do work well in reducing the radiated RFI that will cause a device to fail the FCC and CE testing.

Depending on frequency the bead/donut will have an increased impedance with extra turns but the single pass may be enough. Too many turns will actually degrade the performance. Proper testing requires some pretty exotic equipment and usually is only meaningful for the specific setup. If this is to pass FCC then it all makes sense but may work differently in your system.

I have posted the current noise reduction measurements of the SoTM SATA filter on the Auraliti web page. The pictures didn't translate that well to the PDF and I'll redo that test soon to get better pictures.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

Wound this filter have any effect on the SQ of a computer sending music out by ethernet or Wifi to a streaming device?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

I just installed SOtM USB-TX, Sata filter and fan filter in my computer a couple of days ago. I agree with many people who tried these. I can hear blacker background, better focus sound, the mid/high is definitely more prominent but I think that is more from more quiet background noise and better focus sound and more clarity overall. Before installation, the sound was a bit bigger, softer, a tad fuzzier around the edge. I could see that in certain system, that might be too much of a good thing, perhaps.

Anyhow, I am using my computer with Playback Design MPS-5/Playback USB-X interface and JRMC 17. Everything works great up to 24/192 PCM. However when I am playing DSD2 files (rip from my vinyl collection using Korg MR-2000s), I hear occasional dropout, once may be twice during each track.

Nothing like this happen with motherboard's USB port. Now I am playing a bit with prebuffer size in JRMC but the dropout is not yet completely gone. Any idea what might cause this or what should I look into?

The dropout is random. However, I solved the problem or at least that problem disappeared the whole day today. Initially, USB card shared the same power cord with another fan in the case. I tried running the fan and USB card on independent power cord and that seemed to do the trick. Whether it was power requirement problem or something else I am not sure. I have 2 fans in my case and fan filter is on another fan.

your post is entirely worthless without the following:

who did your order the products from?

when did your order the products?

what country are you in?

Here in the US these products are available from Jesus at Simple Design, and should not be difficult to obtain at all.

concluding: not recommended, is just not worthwhile info, without having more information from you. Please share complete information so that readers here can be well informed.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

based entirely on Google search, as opposed to real world experience, it looks like NEC controller will work with any versions of OS X, and it appears that you can tap into (via 'Y' molex connector) the only molex connector in the G5 (which powers the Optical Drive), or you can simply disable the Optical drive (with no need for the Y connector) if you don't want its power draw to potentially contaminate that of the SoTM card.

hmmm... gotta wonder about USB 2.0 drivers, though.

clay

just to clarify, all of the Power Mac G5 models support USB 2.0, with a high-speed USB bus and USB 2.0 ports, and most of them, except the very latest models, accept PCI cards (in either PCI or PCI-X slots).

Here's a link which indicates which models accept PCI/PCI-X versus those which only accept PCIe (aka PCI express) cards.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/faq/powermac-g5-number-type-speed-pci-pci-x-pcie-slots.html

Any custom drivers (your) DAC(s) may need (to support high resolution data rates) are not likely compatible with Leopard (OS X 10.5), this could be a stumbling block to implementation of the SOtM USB PCI card.

Native USB support (for latest versions of OS X that will run on Power Mac) is limited to USB Audio class 1 which maxes out at 24 bits/ 96 kHz.

I'm no USB expert, so please correct me if I've mis-stated anything here.

clay

Barrows, I was under the impression there was only one source of these. I get your point that I was tarring the product with the same brush as the shoddy supplier (Simple Design Inc). I am sure I will fall short of your expectations of complete information, but doing my best to answer your specific questions.

Q Who did you order the products from?

A Simple Design Inc - Is there someone else I can deal with for these Barrows? I will try them if there is.

Q When did you order the products?

A 13 November 2011 through the online ordering process

Q What country are you in?

A New Zealand (A long way away I know, but they have these things called planes...)

Just as a little add-on for you:

The sales process stated the products in my order were in stock. I was charged $24.99 for an unspecified freight service to deliver two filters. My assumption was that this was likely to be an air service. If I thought it was surface I would not have gone through with the order. Those planes get here a lot quicker.

I have purchased a large number of products from many countries. Any air service would have had the products here several weeks ago, so I sent an email to [email protected], being the listed contact for customer service. I think that was about 2 weeks ago, apologies for not providing you the exact date. No reply has been received. In any case the time is running out for dispute resolution through Paypal so I can't afford to wait any longer to hear from these people, so I am 'over' them.

It is only a sample of one, and there may be an explanation but I will still recommend people do not do what I did.

If there are other people to buy these products from please tell me as I am keen to try them out.

I purchased my two SOtM modules from the 'Simple Designs Inc' website also, using exactly the same process as yourself. Within 12 minutes of placing my order, I received a PM from Jesus R at Sonore telling me he would ship them out immediately. They passed through UK customs and were with me within two weeks of that.

Anyone who frequents these boards knows that Jesus R offers great customer service. There's obviously been an issue somewhere. Can I suggest you send Jesus R a PM at: [email protected]? I would be very surprised if your issue wasn't sorted by the end of the day (but of course, take into account time differences).

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I figure I have hung on long enough Mani. Unlike you I have received nothing of any kind from Simple Designs. Not an acknowledgement of an order (other than what the Paypal checkout produces and the record of the order being placed and my payment being made), no goods and no response to my email asking for an update on my order.

I have just sent an email to the address you have provided for Jesus, but I decided I needed to get the Paypal dispute resolution process going given the lack of response so far and that if I don't get it going I will lose my money (not for the first time). So the Paypal process will have copied Simple Designs my description of events already.

Let's see what happens...

To Manis' comment. I know Jesus personally and am quite confident that he strives to provide the best customer service possible. Clearly, in your case, something has fallen between the cracks, and am sorry for that, but I do expect that there is a reasonable explanation.

I would encourage you to e-mail Jesus at the address Mani provided and explain the situation.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I ordered a full set of SoTM products from Simple Design in August, they were dispatched the same day and 3 days after clearing US customs, they were in the UK, despite hurricane Irene's best efforts.

The Paypal acknowledgement had a US Postal Service tracking ID so keeping up to date on progress wasn't a problem.

Very happy with the service and would definately order again. Even factoring in delivery and Import VAT, the price was competitive.

Regards,

Martin

MF M1 CDT -> S/PDIF (AES/EBU - Black Rhodium Symphony XLR) -> MF M6 DAC -> MF M1 HPA -> Grado GS1000i

Linux Mint 13 64bit, MPD 0.17.1 (AIF/FLAC) (MPad) -> USB (Wireworld Silver Starlight) -> SotM dx-USB HD (Paul Hynes SR1-9) -> S/PDIF (RCA- Black Rhodium Scherzo) -> Audiolab MDAC (A06) -> Lehmann BCL -> Sennheiser HD800

I processed the order and shipped the unit Express mail next business day. It should have arrived a long time ago! I have to talk to PayPal about that e-mail because it's not mine. I logged into the service and the correct e-mail is posted for us. I would have shipped you another set today, but your comments here suggest your not interested. Your claim with PayPal posted last night and I'll take care of that for you next...

update: I called PayPal and they found the rogue e-mail and corrected it for us...

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

@antipodes_audio - it's totally your prerogative escalating this issue with PayPal, but let me just tell you that I stand behind Jesus R 100% and totally believe his version of events. Not just because of my single dealing with him (buying the SOtM modules, for their full retail price incidentally), but also because of what I've learned about him reading his posts on these boards these last couple of years.

Jesus, if you need any of your customers to vouch for you in your PayPal dispute, please count me in. I'm sure there are many, many others here who would happily help out in any way they could.

Mani

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

you rock....thanks!

It's a shame I couldn't come through for antipodes_audiom. I understand his frustration though and processed his refund. I wish I would have known he was having an issue. The Express mail international service is very reliable and I have shipped to some pretty far away places. However, I can only track the item into customs. Also, we charge a flat rate and 99% of the time it cost us more money to ship and insure the package:)

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Hi Jesus. You certainly have your supporters here.

I have received the Paypal refund. Thanks for that.

I don't quite understand your reference to 'rogue' email. Is the support address not '[email protected]'? That is what is listed on the Paypal record I have.

If you have sent something via EMS then you will have a tracking number. If you provide that to me it is pretty likely that I will be able to track it down here locally. I have imported many items where EMS has been used and there has never been an item lost before. Delayed - yes, lost - no. It is worth me having a go at locating it and if I am successful I can pay you for them.

If that fails I will re-place my order, as I am still keen on getting some of those filters.

So please send me that EMS tracking number.