IGNORED

Sound Quality of OS X 10.7.2

gsquared

I have been reluctant to upgrade to Lion because of the reports I've heard here about it being inferior sonically to Snow Leopard.

Now that Lion 10.7.2 has been released, has anyone done any comparisons with 10.7.1 or Snow Leopard yet (Mercman)? I've heard reports that this latest release of Lion operates more efficiently than previous versions, using fewer system resources... which could result in better sonics.

I'd love to hear some reports from fellow CA members before I pull the trigger and update my Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I recently compared Snow Leopard ( with integer) and Lion 10.72 to see if my preference for Lion was still supported.

Using Pure Music and Decibel, I preferred Lion. Lion had a bigger soundstage, was more open sounding especially at the high end, had better defined bass, and was less "dark" sounding than Snow Leopard with Integer.

Steve Plaskin

I upgraded my Macbook Pro to Lion and from what I hear in my office system, without a doubt I prefer it (Lion) to Snow Leopard. I'm running Pure Music in HOG mode + memory playback and it sounds much better compared to Snow Leopard.

Later this week after I receive my Oyaide Neo d+ firewire cable, I'll get to hear it on my main system. From what I am hearing now... I'm sure I'll be very pleased.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Dj_AmTrax, in my office system, I am comparing Lion in stock form to SL in stock form. I've been listening to the same setup in my office since June 20th when I took delivery of my Macbook Pro, which was loaded with SL at the time.

For example, I just listened to a track by Ryan Adams that I've heard dozens of times in my office setup. With Lion, soundstage depth and width, detail/nuances in the music is significantly improved compared to SL.

It's a no-brainer upgrade IMO.