IGNORED

Can Apple TV source a 2ch system?

Brovig

I have an existing music system consisting of a NAS, MacBookPro + Bryston DAC with iTunes as the music player. I now want to make the music available in another room and had in mind to use AppleTV connected via Toslink to a DAC and feeding into a 2ch amp system, i.e. not a digital AV receiver.

But someone told me today that ATV outputs audio in 5.1 and cannot be fed to a 2ch system. They said I'd have to use Airport Express.

Can anyone confirm that this is true, that ATV cannot be a source for a 2ch system?

There are two outputs, HDMI and optical. I can't speak for the HDMI, but the optical will do exactly what you want. I use it in my bedroom, where I don't have a tv.

It is better than an airport express in that you can use it as a zone player, i.e., play something different using the ATV2 than what you have playing on your main system.

I use the ATV2 with my first generation Zeppelin. Any other DAC that takes optical in would work fine too.

Many thanks for confirming that, WGScott. Much appreciated.

And you've added very helpful insight on the ATV vs AirportExpress. I was not aware of that. So each ATV in a home network can be independent zones, each playing their own songs sourced from the iTunes master system, whereas a AE device only plays whatever is being played by iTunes?