IGNORED

Snake oil, erm, I mean USB cables..

Garf

So after listening to the snake oil salesmen (I visited www.computeraudiophile.com), I realized what ails me is my USB cable.

Recently, when my fever was high, I decided to take the advice of the kind and wise people here and decided to head over to a local snake oil dealer (drove the car to Music Direct in Chicago).

Yes, I realize that not all the kind and wise people here agree that snake oil works, but it was a nice rainy day, and I wanted fix the congested feeling I had in my ears (I was wondering why my recent 24/96 rip of Dark Side of the Moon sounded cluttered and foggy during the crescendo portions).

After selecting a few out of print MobFi recordings, I asked for a specific brand of snake oil (one that didn't cost more than my inexpensive DAC). The kind gentleman even gave me 15% off, probably in hopes that I would buy more snake oil (foolish man).

After application of said snake oil, "WOW" is all I can say. I am not nearly as congested, and my fever has abated (For now. There is some really nice gear available, I think vinyl is in order after the kid grows up a bit).

Now I am not saying that other readers of this fine online emporium of audiophilia should purchase snake oil, but if it works for you, then so be it.

Oh, and I am SURE that the re-arrangement I did to provide a dedicated motherboard hub for this new USB cable had nothing to do with me feeling better. I am positive it was the snake oil!

Gary

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

While I think that Garf will still hear a nice difference, since I have heard noticeable sound differences between USB cables, I think Golds suggestion is a good one.

1) This isolates the change to just one thing. This way you will know what you heard is (or is not) because of the USB cable change.

2) I find I learn just as much or more about a proposed change to my system, when I put it back to the way it was.

Yes, I will try that another day. After programming most of the day with the headphones on, ear fatigue has set in, and I don't think I will be in any shape to do a comparison.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Garf,

Most hear definate improvements with high dollar USB cables. My USB dacs are so cheap they will not show it.

But do not go too far. Next thing you will claim the power cords used to connect wallwarts to external drives are not critical to getting good sound quality.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Garf,

I feel you've directed your funds in the wrong direction.

In order to get the best out of your system you need to get some of these for your headphone cable:

http://www.russandrews.com/product-Cable-elevators-4227.htm

More importantly, without one of the following, you'll never hear the music the way God intended:

http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/products/indra/indra.html

It's expensive I know, but there's a cheaper option to improve your system:

http://machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

Crash, thanks for the tips, thank goodness I only need a 1 meter cable. Nothing like a cable that is 38 times more expensive than my DAC.

Swapped the old cable back, and it is like a night and day difference. Nice that an easy, $50 investment can have such an impact on sound.

Glad I did not see them before building a pair of Gotham GAC-4 cables. Wonder if they can terminate with TRS on one end and XLR-M on the other?

I need two meter cables to connect the dac to the monitors. The price for each additional meter seems excessive.

Maybe I will see some in Denver in a couple weeks.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.