IGNORED

dac/pre amp concern,

Hi all,

I am in the market to get a whole new system and as such have already committed to the audiophysic tempo 25 speakers, but will need source and amplification.I was going to get a dac with remote and an integrated amp, but it seems a bit pointless to have all those inputs when i will only use 2 of them, so may be i should consider a dac/pre and power amp.

However, m a little concern that a dac with pre may alter the sound quality as you turn the volume nod..(digital volume i think...)

Where should i start looking if i want a dac with good pre and that will not degrade the sound quality when using the volume.

sincerely yours.

john

Hi John,

Maybe I'm telling you the obvious, but the answer really should be : search in here ?

I'm not sure what to exactly search for, but there must be dozens of threads about this subject by now. And they all are about the same, maybe mention the same examples of how to do it, how not to do it (just nobody agrees with whatever it is another one has found) etc. etc.

But I'm afraid this will be another such thread ...

:-)

Regards,

Peter

PS:

Where should i start looking if i want a dac with good pre and that will not degrade the sound quality when using the volume.

But might you be interested in my view : it does not exist.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Well my advise would be to start by specifying to us dear listeners an approximate budget - no point suggesting a Classe CP-800 if your budget only runs to an Audiolab MDAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi eloise and pete,

Thanks for your replies and inputs..

I did indeed forget to mention budget.I am looking something in the $2000 range, may be a tad more but not much.

I just think it s bit of a waste, having an integrated amp and dac,so m really wanting to simplify my system andhave a great pre/dac. Somehow i doubt i can achieve it without spending huge sums of money..