IGNORED

Multi Room Setup

One of my requirements for a server setup is multi-room music. I've been considering Sonos units because of their interface and ease of use. I would absolutely go with the Cullen modified units if Sonos ends up being my choice.

Unfortunately, Sonos only supports 16 bit, and as music offering move toward Hi-Rez I'm not sure I want to be limited. Others suggest that I shouldn't worry about Hi-Rez until there's significantly more source material.

I've also considered going Mac Mini. This would eliminate my Hi-Rez concerns but I'm not sure how I would get the multi-room functionality. Is it possible to have 2 or 3 Mac Minis in different rooms accessing the same library (on a Drobo) at the same time but playing different songs? Would they all be controlled by the same i-Pod Touch or would each need their own?

Thanks,

Bob

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

A Squeezebox transporter would do all you want up to 24/96, but at over £1000 per box.

I cant believe you need 24/96 in the kitchen, so in less demanding places use a Squeezebox Classic costing £150 or a Boom (£200) with integral speakers. A Squeezebox can be improved with an external DAC, but as I said, it's good enough for the kitchen or the bathroom. The 24/96 Transporter and the 16bit boxes will work (with downsampling) to the same server running Squeezecentre. I am guessing that before too long a hidef Squeezebox will appear that does not cost a fortune. Backward compatibility should be maintained.

If you are in UK:

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/

Brian

Squeezebox Classic - Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC - Quad 520f with Dada refresh - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Thanks Brian.

You're right about not needing Hi-Rez in every room, but since I'm looking for a standardized solution it would be available by default. I'm not interested in using Squeezebox. . .I want to stick with i-Tunes as my interface.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Hmm, I think the high resolution requirement is really going to limit your choices here. As you suggested earlier you could use a Mac Mini in each room and access a single Drobo unit. Since you want to control them with iTouch remotes you'd need a separate library database on each Mini. Thus, you'd have to rip the music from one Mini and scan the Drobo for changes on all the other Minis.

It all depends on how easy to use you want this solution to be. Sonos is designed for this exact thing, but has it's sonic limitations that mods can help. No high resolution, but you'd have everything else.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am not trying to push one hardware solution in preference to any other, but the cost/flexibility/controllability issues need careful consideration in a fast developing market.

Do note that a Squeezebox in those locations where you do not need HiRez might be a cost effective interim solution.

The Squeezeboxes will read your iTunes Library and can be controlled by an iTouch application (iPeng) just as effectively as iTunes. You could use MacMinies where you needed HiRez and Squeezeboxes elsewhere. The Squeezeboxes could be set up to read the same library as the MacMinis and all of them could be controlled by any iTouch/iPhone or indeed by a browser on any PC or Mac on the home network. £155 per Station, and Squeezeboxes seem to sell quite well on eBay.

---

There is a free iPeng skin that runs in the iTouch browser, but it is relatively slow.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=3

The application has just been launched, and I believe can be downloaded direct to you iPhone/Touch

http://appshopper.com/music/ipeng

Brian

Squeezebox Classic - Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC - Quad 520f with Dada refresh - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.