IGNORED

MacBook audiophiles' tips

barito7

G'day

I'm running a late 2008 white MacBook for my music server connected to a fw 400 hdd. I am novice when it comes to CA but I am coming to appreciate the craft thanks to sites like this.

Many people in this community are Mac mini users but often the great tips provided aren't as relevant. e.g power, batteries or screen noise issues, possibly heat are different issues for us laptop users.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their tips specifically for laptop hardware when trying to obtain audiophile SQ?

Cheers

Rega Brio-R, Calyx Coffee, Monitor Audio, MacMini Server (intel) 2011

set the display to shut down as quickly as possible. I have done some primitive "measurements" on RF transmission, and having the display off definitely reduces it.

On the other energy saver settings, it is advisable to set everything to "never". Then all the usual Mac tweaks apply, search other threads for those (turn off Spotlight, Finder, etc).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I try to take the wireless out of the equation to reduce noise and use the apple remote myself.

I was wondering if it is better to run on battery power that have the magsafe cable plugged in or whether there is another power cable (perhaps cryo-treated) that can be used?

G'day,

Different forums have mentioned that USB ports are not the same. Has anyone noticed this with their laptop and which port are they using to connect their DAC or otherwise?

Cheers