IGNORED

Restoring iTunes Library

I am really starting to feel desperate.. Please help.

My system was like this:

Mac mini + 2TB Iomega with all the music (40,000 tracks!) (USB)

Onnto 4-bay 4.5TB Time Machine Raid-5 backup (USB)

I use the FW400 to the DAC.

Then the 2TB was faulty and I brought the whole system to the Apple reseller to check. Since it was almost full anyway, I ordered a new 3TB Iomega. Shop used Time Machine to put my music on it. Problem afterwards: iTunes didn't work. No Library. The tech claims it was on for 6 days (duh!?), when their electricity was cut off, before it was finished. They proposed I did it again, with the instructions here after:

You need to throw away the iTunes library on the iomega 3TB

Then make a new one by starting iTunes with the ALT key. He'll ask where he should place the back and then choose 3TB HD.

When iTunes starts, choose File from the menu to "add to library".

Then choose the backup folder in the 3TB. And if you scroll until you find the iTunes. Select and then choose to "add".

This will take some time

When he's done, then normally your iTunes will be built up and you can delete your old backup on the 3TB (for he is there 2 times, one time the old one, once the new version)

So, all the music is already on the 3TB, but it "copies" everything again, and it "adds files" I fear this wil take a few months, so this can"'t be right! iTunes is really struggeling. After 1:45, it has finally reached the B from Björk... In Finder, I see now 4 artists out of 1,028...

If all the music is already on the 3TB, why is it copying everything?

BTW, I am doing this on my iMac, where I use FW800 (mini is FW400 and USB).

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

Under Preferences>Advanced, iTunes has a check box for

"Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library".

Make sure that preference is not checked.

Vinyl: Rega P3-24 (a red one), Rega Exact, Mistral phono preamp, Kimber Hero WBT - Server: Mac Mini 2.66 Core2 Duo, 8GB addressable RAM, Lion 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3, Pure Music 1.86, Halide Bridge, Rega DAC, Kimber Hero WBT, Denon AVR-2807, pre-out to Theta Dreadnaught, Kimber 8TC, Linn Majik Isobariks "Passive Bi-Amped" and Linn Ekwalls for surround

This is from a previous post on how to re-build itunes library. You will not get duplicates and should only take a few hours. Also be sure you have itunes preferences pointing to the new path and folder where your music files are located on your 3tb drive. Probably want to do this step first then the following:

Okay, this has happened when I took my mac to a headphone event and I had a number of files on my internal drive. When I came home I had to re-add the library of my external drive to see all of my files.

Exit out of itunes!

Then find these files on your mac:

Mac OS X

/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library

/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml

DELETE them! Don't worry itunes will recreate them when you re-open itunes.

Then re-open itunes and open finder and find all of your files on your new external drive.

Use "select all" to highlight all of your music file folders on your external drive.

Then DRAG all of your selected folders over into itunes and hover over the music menu item in itunes. Just shrink the window size on finder and itunes so you can do this on one screen.

When you drop the selected files on the music menu item you are adding the files to the library.

And since you deleted the library files you should be starting from fresh.

This has worked for me and should let itunes see all the files on your new external drive.

@subjective:

iTunes is "not responding" now, probably because it is so busy and overwhelmed. So I can't reach the Preferences. Would you advise me to abort the process? As far as I can tell, it will need like a 1,000 hours at the current speed, which is simply ridiculous. Each song takes minutes.

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

When you drop the selected files on the music menu item you are adding the files to the library.

And since you deleted the library files you should be starting from fresh.

And this actually recreates the Lybrary as it was before?

"Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library".

Make sure that preference is not checked.

This still goes, right?

I highlighted and dragged all the folders (artists) in to the "music", but again, iTunes isn't responding.

It doesn't work.

When I drag all the artists (1,028 of them), I do get the green "plus" symbol, but when I drop it in the left side "Music" in the Library of iTunes, it seems to freeze, and iTunes becomes unsresponsive.

I know itunes can be frustrating at times. Try rebooting, then make sure the two files are deleted and even empty trash. Even go so far as to do a search to make sure you do not have those files duplicated in another folder. Then start itunes and try again. It should work.

I am sorry you are having difficulty. Perhaps someone else can chime in if they know what is locking up itunes.

I tried to drag the whole Music folder from Finder in iTunes. It worked for a few seconds, seemed plenty fast. then iTunes froze.

I had the "Copy files to iTunes Media" checked however. If I uncheck this as you both instructed, can iTunes locate them elsewhere on the 3TB?

Is it normal I don't see the album art preview in Finder? I did before.

I tried again with the method from the first post, though with "copy files" unchecked. Again, every track takes minutes. And when I check Finder, there's no tracks in iTunes. Makes sense, since they're not copied.

While iTunes seems unresponsive, it does process the tracks, but very very slow. Now number 5 of 40,000...

Wait! number 6 is started.

Not sure about what view you are using in finder, but if you are using finder and only see a partial list of artist file folders you are doing something wrong.

If you are using finder to browse into the folder that contains your 2TB worth of music you should see all of it. If you are seeing part of it like up to Bjork for instance you are looking in the wrong folder and doing something that is copying actual files.

The drag and drop method I outlined for re-building itunes takes a lttle over an hour for a 1 TB drive full of files. I am not sure what could be going on but minutes per track is not right.

Make sure you are not copying everything to another folder on your computer like the media folder cuz that is probably on your internal drive and will suck up room in a heartbeat, not to mention taking forever.

If you navigate with finder to your internal Macintosh hard drive to the itunes folder where the program lives and browse around you should not have a media folder with anything in it. If you do..... get rid of it. Itunes may be running out of space trying to copy all the 2tb of files to the media folder on your internal drive since you forgot to uncheck that box!

This is the only thing that I can come up with. Hope you find the issue.

Because it has FW800, while the dedicated to music mini is FW400 and USB. The tech told me it would be better not to use USB to restore the Library.

This iMac was my previous music machine. It has my previous internal iTunes (1,500 albums, deleted some to make room for my work stuff) on it, but I don't see a problem there? I use the alt button to start iTunes and I make sure I am on the external 3TB for the recovery and for the destination of the new iTunes library.

sorry I am not understanding. I thought your music was already restored to the new iomega device and that was plugged directly into you mac music server. Recovery??????

The references I made to media folder only apply to the music server (mini?).

Where the imac comes in I do not know, unless you are using remote desktop. Then I guess you need to be careful to ensure you are browsing into the right machine and folder.

take care and good luck

The files are on the 3TB, but they're not in iTunes. Time Machine placed the tracks in a folder named 08-27-2011 (date of the last good backup).

I think it doesn't matter much which iMac or mini I use, since iTunes was on the 2TB external before and should be on the new 3TB now.

Out of curiosity, I hooked up the "faulty" old 2TB Iomega. Guess what? It shows and is formatted. So, not so faulty afterall! While iTunes is truggeling on this iMac, I did this:

Connect the old 2TB to the mini (USB) and the 4-bay backup too (USB).

Delete iTunes

Download iTunes to the mini

Start iTunes, start new Library

"copy music to iTunes media": yes!

Add the music to Library via the finder using the iTunes folder in the 4-bay (dated Aug 27th)

And hup: now this is more like it: after 15', some 400 tracks are copied to the 2TB and added in iTunes.

This should take somewhere between 20-40 hours (40,000 tracks via USB) which seems normal. Fingers crossed!

I have no idea why the 2TB showed faulty first and the tech confirmed it was faulty (it didn't show).

After 1:15 about 2,600 tracks of 40,000 are copied. Nice. On schedule!

One thing worries me: I don't see the size of the Lybrary nor Library.xml in iTunes growing. It's 52 MB on the 4-bay. Is this going to be the last to be copied?

After 3 hours, the Library itself is now back on the 2TB! This confirms that there was something wrong with the recovered Lybrary on the 3TB. Not all album art is there though, I will check in the morning what I can do. No biggie.

Music files are now 6,000 of 40,000, so this will be 20 hours. When the 2TB is done, I will make sure everything is working and use it for the 3TB...

Hi

I didn't bother to read the entire thread…too long, I skipped down to the end. Your last post indicates to me that you are on the path to a resolution.

Make sure you backup whichever drive has the music. Get another 3TB drive if that is where your music is and back it all up.

Regards

Best Regards[br]Alex

G'day

Interesting thread and I hope all as worked out. One thing that has raised my interest from this thread is what all the files that iTunes creates are for. For instance:

- What is the folder for old iTunes Libraries for?

- Where is metadata like equaliser settings and ratings for song held?

- Where is the clip art held?

I have spent as much time on metadata in my library as I have listening! Losing this data would be tragic. I do backup but this is just a blind task (better to be safe than sorry), than actually knowing where this stuff is and how to ensure its integrity.

I had enquired about an iTunes manual on a previous forum but I'm not sure that manuals suggested really go to this level of detail.

Cheers

Charles

Rega Brio-R, Calyx Coffee, Monitor Audio, MacMini Server (intel) 2011

After almost 12 hours, 25,000 (of 41,800) tracks are copied from the backup. the Lybray was done afer 3 hours, but I have to see why some of the album art is not showing. I will look when I get back home this afternoon.

Conc metadata: I'm obviously not the best person to ask. But there is iTunes specific data, like the ratings, which iTunes keeps not in file I think, and embedded data, which is the file itself (like album art if you provided it yourself, ot by iTunes).

There's tutorials here and elsewhere if you search.

Album artwork you added yourself should be in the backup files. However any artwork added through iTunes will not be there, just right mouse click, choose "Get Album Artwork" to get it again.

I recently had an error message in iTunes I could not get rid of, so I signed into my System Administrator account and that iTunes was fine, I did an internet search and there was suggestions on how to fix the problem, none worked. So I surmised that the problem was with my personal account. so I saved all files in my personal account, logged out and signed in as system administrator and deleted my personal account and then set up a new account and started the process of reloading all of my files.

All the album art I copied from google searches to iTunes was there, the album art I got from iTunes was not, so I just had iTunes add them again.

I was thinking of just using the System Administrator account (root) but I read that is not secure for internet surfing, etc. nor is giving your personal account System Administrator privileges. When signed into my personal account I must give the System Administrator sign-in and password with any changes or to load software, which I always felt was a PITA especially when doing software updates but I feel better now understanding that a third party cannot hack my system pretending to be the System Administrator as sign-in is required with each action.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

It's now 18 hours and about 39,000 of the 41,800 tracks are copied. This is the mini + old 2TB out of the 4-bay backup. iTunes seems to work, but I will not fiddle with it before all the files are copied.

However, the iMac + new 3TB out of the tracks that were already recovered form the backup, is now on... 873 of the 41,800 and the Lybrary is stil not up. this after 20 hours. iTunes is still unresponsive. I will abort as soon as the mini is done with the old 2TB.

I had another tech on the phone earlier who suggested another approach from the Folder that Time Machine made. I will try later with the 3TB. He said even the playlists should return as they were.

About the album art. I don't use iTunes anymore for that, since well over a year. In the past, I had been checking in Finder if all the tracks had the art embedded. Would iTunes trick me and show the art in Finder, even if it was iTunes that provided the art? Or is there something other amiss?

I would not mind to search (and embed) art for 100-200 albums out of 2,900, though. iTunes is often wrong anyway. As you know, some albums exist in variations. Sometimes the EU art is not suited for US eyes and another cover is chosen by the band... or just preference differences. Anyway, it is me who should be the judge of which cover to choose!

So I'd rather not use iTunes for album art.

After 20 hours, all tracks were copied to the old 2TB. It plays as it should. Pfew! I lost the playlists and maybe 15-20% of the album art, which I can now properly search and embed pics for.

Here's what I did now with the new 3TB:

1/ Aborted the pitifull attempt. @ the "speed" it had, it would have been 40 days. That's a long time in the Bible.

2/ Formatted (since I could not throw the recovered backup in the bin)

3/ Attached the Onnto 4-bay with the original backup via FW400 (the 3TB is via FW800) to the iMac.

4/ Opened Finder on both the empty 3TB and the 4-Bay.

5/ On the 4-bay, looked for the entire iTunes folder, grabbed it and dragged it to the 3TB

6/ It starts to copy, it says "about 14 hours", so a bit faster than via USB on the mini before.

7/ When it is done, I will simply start iTunes with the "alt" key pressed and point it to the 3TB... this should work, not?

Now that I see how simple this is, I wonder why I was so deluded before. The 2TB was faulty and now it's not faulty anymore. Who will say what was wrong with it. maybe it's just one of the connectors...

And that first tech guy, who let the thing run for 6 days without wondering if that was normal. Duh! It took me one minute to realise it stank.