IGNORED

Macbook Music Server

Off the top of my head I think I'm using version 7.2 something on the AE. I'm not around it, but I think I did an update over the weekend. Could be mixed up on the version.

Oh yeah, I've been reading a ton of stuff. Dig, dig, dig. But there really aren't that many things to do fiddle with, near as I can tell. I think it is further complicated since I've been dragging the Macbook around from house to house too.

• 2 weeks later...

Innertuber and anyone else,

I was wondering, now that you've been up and running for a bit, are you still happy with your decision to go with the Macbook vs the mini? That's how I'm leaning as well. Any issues with heat or noise from the Macbook? I'm still reading and learning before I take the plunge, so thanks and a tip of the hat for sharing your pleasure and pain through this process!

TheOtherTim

I'm very happy with the MacBook. No issues for me there. I have read a bit about using an external drive to baby the internal, but that would apply to both. I use the internal myself and don't worry. (Our iMac does warm up a lot around the drive area if ripping a lot.) Never noticed the Macbook getting too hot. I can say my wife would have no patience with a headless Mini, it's just not within her comfort zone. She's fine with the laptop style. The Macbook can get loud enough to notice if I ripping or writing, but for playback no problems for me. Plus, for the little bit extra cash you can drag it around easily. I think both have their place and strengths. I actually like seeing the fullscreen cover flow without having to run an external monitor or hunt for a remote device. With about 8,000 songs, we can run over and peek when we go "who the heck is that playing"?

Another thought - when ripping LOTS of CD's, I can USB direct to the harddrives and put the laptop and drives on the porch, near the fridge, on a coffee table, wherever I want and I have a small display. Also, MacBook has more ports and some drives don't want to share via splitter or so they warn.

Either way I think you will be happy, it just depends what you are after. I'd thing about the extremes of usage - other people and their skill levels, portability, net surfing, things like that. If you conclude that none of that stuff matters and you will just go to a display in a HT type setup, then the Mini may be for you (quiet and small for sure). If you want that extra flexibility and convenience, then the extra $ for a MacBook may be prudent (more ports, display, keyboard, all the stuff you know).

Let us know what you wind up with!

Good stuff, thanks! You anticipated some of my other questions. I like the portability, display, and web surfing abilities of having the Macbook, so I'm most likely to go that way also. Besides, I need to replace my ancient HP laptop anyway. I'm likewise going back and forth about getting an external CD/DVD drive since I'll be ripping a lot of CDs, at least intially. I'm going to our local Apple Store today to chat those folks up. My first steps into the Apple World, pretty exciting.