IGNORED

Macbook Music Server

Carl called and said they are sending a new in the box unit, which is exactly what I asked for, so I will be content upon arrival. He mentioned that if you read the fine print in their warranty, they reserve the right to send a used unit back as an exchange for a repair. I've never heard of that. I'm guessing they aren't fully prepared for dealing with DOA new units. They really should second day air a replacement no questions asked. Kinda bothersome if you ever need a repair tho, I guess you might not get back your same unit. I'll be happy to get this part of the process behind me and get back to the tunes focus.

Wow, I would think that pointing this small print out to a customer who just received a DOA product is not the wisest move. I'm sure all merchants have that small print, but never use it unless the situation warrants it. Your situation by no means should invoke this clause.

Hmm, how to piss off your customers 101. Make sure they know the small print, that nobody reads, can and will be used against them. Data Robotics could have got many brownie points around here if they would have overnighted you a new unit right after they figured out your original one was DOA. Spend a few bucks to get a good reputation which makes you many more bucks in the long run.

Anyway, I'm glad you're getting a new one very soon.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time to update a bit on the progress.

Drobo #3 arrived new in the box and works fine. Gathered up #1 and returned it. #2 is heading back this week. They sent return ship authorizations which I appreciated. Here’s a note from Carl, which is kind of weird, but I’m not going to get into it with them. Just an odd policy (as mentioned above) to enforce on new customers. Here it tis -

Hello George,

The FedEx tracking number for the new Drobo is xxxxxxxx and the return shipping label should arrive by email soon (if it hasn’t already).

I really couldn’t say why the Drobo appeared used, but please accept my apology for this mix up and oversight. All RMA units are tested and inspected before being sent out to customers and we do not send out new power supply and/or USB cables unless there was a reported problem with one of those cables. Also, we normally do not send out new face plates either, we actually open the boxes and remove the face plate and cables before sending RMA units out.

Finally, since I mentioned it in our conversation this morning, I thought I would send you an excerpt from our Warranty Coverage policy, found at: http://www.datarobotics.com/pdf/warranty_coverage.pdf

It states:

Data Robotics One (1) Year Limited Warranty

WARRANTY COVERAGE

Data Robotics's warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below:

Data Robotics, Inc. (“Data Robotics”) warrants the Data Robotics-branded hardware product will conform to the published specification when under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period"). This warranty only extends to the original end-user purchaser (“Purchaser”) and cannot be transferred.

If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and as the sole and exclusive remedy available to Purchaser, Data Robotics will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, or (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or, at its option, if (1) or (2) is not possible (as determined by Data Robotics in its sole discretion), (3) refund the purchase price of the product. When a refund is given, the product for which the refund is provided must be returned to Data Robotics and becomes Data Robotics's property. Warranty Service is provided only in the country in which the product was originally sold.

Thank you for you patience and understand and for allowing us to correct this problem for you!

Best regards,

Carl Hoffmann

[email protected]

Product Support Engineer

data robotics, inc.

1881 Landings Drive

Mountain View, CA 94043

(650) 526-3697 Direct

(650) 967.1818 Fax

www.drobo.com

www.datarobotics.com

I guess it sort of sounds like they did me a favor. My guess is they are run by lawyers moreso than customer service folks. I wouldn’t take this approach, but at least I’m up and running.

Hey innertuber - I was beginning to wonder about your Drobo experience. We hadn't heard from you in a few days adn I thought you might have had another Drobo arrive DOA. I must say ordering direct from Data Robotics might not be the best route. I have a feeling that a regular retailer would have exchanged your unit in a second for a brand new one without any hassle.

Anyway, at least you are up and running. Please let us know how everything is going!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Work swamped me last week so I didn't have much time to fiddle or write really. But, I think you are definitely correct. Next time I'd go via retailer. They would likely just say send it back, here's a new one and deduct it from the MFG. Least in my world that's how it happens. Anywho, short version is things are going much better. Here's the longer update.

The good stuff - iTuneAFish (my loving third Drobo) I direct connected upon arrival to the MacBook via USB. Everything fired up and I popped in (2) 750GB drives. iTuneafish came back saying all is green (lights) and Drobo dashboard said I am happy. It’s very easy to use, looks cool and seems a friendly system. I formatted using Apple extended non journalled.

This went pretty well and everything was rolling along, so in an effort to save time, being direct connected to the laptop I consolidated my MacBook iTunes library to iTuneAFish. That took a couple hours and I now had two tested and working iTunes libraries. I manually copied the files for art, etc., and all seemed good.

I tested removing some files from the laptop library and they still existed on the second library, so far so good.

Next, I fired up the Airport Extreme Base. That was easy and both of our Macs connected right up. This is just an internal network for music with no internet access. I just am not sure yet, but I might be able to connect to another simultaneously for internet. That idea goes on the need to do more research list.

Plugged iTuneAfish into the USB on the Airport and nothing. Arggggg, back to the drawing board. Read and read help files, finally tried reformatting, hair pulling, fussing, bitching, et al. That was two weekends ago.

Past weekend, I went thru Chris’s auto mount suggestion and couldn’t get that to work either. The Mac could see the network. The network saw iTuneAFish. The Mac could not see the disks. Mac could see the disks when wired direct. Hrmmm.

After getting really frustrated last Friday night (after 2 martinis I calmed down and we just listened to music) I awoke Saturday to paint the wife’s office. I enlisted her help on my “Where in The World Is Drobo,” disk issue and she read help files and forums.

First solution – this is dumb, but Mac’s are new to us, I’ve used Windows since 1985, Macs since Christmas. We found a little toggle that was something like enable or display shared drives on networks (not shared files which was already activated). That change brought the icon for the drive attached to the Base onto the desktop. High Fives. Woo Hoo.

Boo hoo, next problem – I could see it, but not write anything to it. Back to the forums and help files. By now we had probably invested 10+ manhours when I called Apple support. 3 techs and probably 3 hours later the solution. While the Apple tech could not explain why, he said these things work better when formatted with the GUID Partition Table option. It just seems to work better than the Apple method. I didn’t argue.

Reformatted GUID with one partition and BINGO, iTuneAFish was alive and wirelss. I could save from MacBook and open from iMac. Odd, since Apple sells Drobos in their online store, neither company has very helpful notes on how to make them work together. Maybe I just missed it in front of my face while searching. But, we’re communicating now!

Two of the techs scolded me for not updating to the latest upgrades. I was too sheepish to tell them I had so many cd’s loaded on the MacBook I had no space to download upgrades. Once again, I consolidated the library. By then it was late Sunday and time to head home. Couldn’t get the disks to dismount, so I finally yanked the plug putting iTuneAFish into a deep sleep, as we headed out the door. Hopefully, all will be well when I hook back up next time. I'm getting closer!

Overall this is really good to hear. Some problems but that is to be expected.

"Next, I fired up the Airport Extreme Base. That was easy and both of our Macs connected right up. This is just an internal network for music with no internet access. I just am not sure yet, but I might be able to connect to another simultaneously for internet. That idea goes on the need to do more research list."

We should discuss this one. You'll want internet connectivity from your mac while ripping music to your Drobo. With both on separate networks this won't be possible. I have a couple wireless networks at home and also use the Airport Extreme disk, so let me know when you're ready to tackle this one.

An iTunes question -

I have two iTunes libraries now selectable on start-up. One on hard disk connected to the extreme base, another, a subset duplicate on the Macbook. Both are AIFF format. What is the best way to change format to something a little more space effective and write music to theiPod? I don't want duplicate copies of every song on the wireless disk.

I could erase the MacBook and consolidate back onto it, but I don’t think that would change format since it’s not really an import, more of just a move isn’t it?

Can I point the Macbook at the base extreme files and re-import from disk to book using different import settings? Then, I could load the iPod from the Macbook.

Thought I’d seek the collective’s wisdom before I frustrate myself into multiple martinis again!

Thanks as always

George

Hey hey George - Hopefully this advice will have you celebrating into multiple martinis instead of frustrating you :-)

I've done this same thing before, if I understand exactly what you're looking to do. Let me know if the assumptions below aren't correct.

1. You want the AIFF copy on your Airport Extreme

2. You want a smaller file format on your local MacBook drive.

If you have all the music you want to put on your iPod already on your MacBook local drive this will be very easy, but may take a while.

Step one - Open iTunes with the library on your local MacBook hard drive

Step two - Open iTunes preferences, go to Advanced, then Importing. Change the "Import Using" option to whatever file format you want. Then exit the preferences area.

Step three - Select all of the music you want in a different format. Click the Advanced menu at the top and go to "Convert Selection To ..." This will convert all your selected music to the new format and leave an existing copy of the old format as well.

Step four - When the conversion is complete sort all your music by "Kind" or "Bit Rate" and delete the music in the format you no loner need on the local drive.

This should do it for ya. Let me know if you have any problems George.

P.S. When the conversion is finished make sure your import setting are correct for importing higher quality music later on.

I've been trying to figure out how i want to go about setting up a music server myself. First i thought about doing the Mac Mini thing with using the itouch as a remote. The more i thought about it the more i realized that it would drive my wife completely nuts, (and me trying to show her how to run everything!).

I have an old iMac that really needs to be updated, so like the OP, i think my best bet is to buy a Macbook. I can plug it into my pre-amp and let it rip! My wife knows how to launch iTunes and get music going so that part is taken care of. Plus i get a new computer out of the deal!

Of course, the next thing i'll have to do is buy a nice new DAC for it as well, it just never stops does it?

Question, i've heard Apple Lossless sounds just as good as AIFF without taking up as much space, is this true?

Doug

Hi Doug - Considering your situation you are wise to get the MacBook. For the file format and quality of the music you'll have to try it yourself. I prefer AIFF uncompressed music, but many people say Apple Lossless is equal in every way. i disagree, but if Apple Lossless works for you that is great because it takes up less space.

Converted on the Macbook 120GB AIFF using AAC 256 last night as a big test for loading the iPod, and it wound up being about 20GB. I don't know how long it took, I gave up and went to bed and it was done in the morning. Tricky thing was the drive was very near full, so I had to delete as it converted to make room for new files.

I'm still pending the bigger move from Drobo to iPod. Probably the simple way is to convert on Drobo, load the iPod then delete conversion files. That solves the iPod, I think ...

But for the Macbook, to move AIFF files converted to say Lossless, from Drobo to Macbook is there an automatic way or would that be a manual move? If I link as a library when I unhook the Mac from Drobo I lose it? I'm thinking convert all to lossless and copy manually back to Macbook, then drag the art files and index. Is there a better way? Can you select and consolidate a subset? I haven't tried that yet.

The objective is a slightly compressed subset of what's on Drobo on the Macbook as portable music. There is way more on Drobo than Macbook can hold as AIFF.

Now that Drobo is on the job and reporting for duty, it is stupid simple to use.

Hey Innertuber - Do you know how to crate a smart playlist in iTunes?

Here is where I am going with this.

1. Create a smart playlist in iTunes that contains all your music with a lower bitrate or your compressed music. This is the music you want on your MacBook I believe. I can create easy instructions for this if needed. You just set a parameter such as only files that are Apple Lossless etc...

2. Use Automator to create an application that move these files into another library on your local drive. Then you can run the application whenever you get new music and it is all automatic.

It is pretty easy if You've done it before so I'll be happy to create some instructions and post them for everyone to use.

Let me know what you need or if I overlooked something.

EDIT - Better yet we can just convert the music and import to a local library in one swoop with Automator. Instructions to come...

Sent from my iPod Touch

Sounds good George. Of course the standard file copy is always available as a method to move the smaller files local. Just another option if you're really itching to get this done before I can get some instructions posted or if you just want to do it a manual but easy to understand way.

I'll post something either way because you are certainly not the only one looking to do this!

Alright George here are the instructions to copy/convert all the uncompressed music on your external drive to your local drive and into a local iTunes library.

Goal - To get all your music on to your local drive as compressed files so you have a mobile copy. We must compress because the local drive is not large enough for all your music in an uncompressed format. Let me know if this is not the goal and we can adjust very easily.

Summary - Use Automator to copy all the AIF music files on your external drive to your local drive while at the same time converting them to a smaller size using Apple Lossless Compression. This will be done in a different library than the rest of your music. Note: The compression type can be easily changed.

Step by step instructions.

1. Close iTunes.

2. Open iTunes while holding down the OPTION key. This will give you the option to create a new library. Create this library on your local hard drive in the local Music folder by browsing to the location. Name the library anything you want.

3. Change the location of your Music folder on the Advanced tab of the iTunes preferences. You can just click RESET and it will default to your local drive.

4. Download this Automator application.

5. Open Automator within the Applications folder and chose Open an Existing Workflow. Browse to the Automator file you just downloaded and click Open.

6. Once open, In the top section called Find Finder Items, select your iTunes library folder that contains all your AIF music files on your external hard drive. You can leave the Whose section as is.

7. If you want Apple Lossless Encoder you can leave the second section. If you want different compression select your choice.

8. Click FILE > SAVE, then CLOSE the application.

9. Double click the application you downloaded and configured above and all your AIF files on your external disk will be copied and converted into the new iTunes library STILL OPEN on your local hard drive. NOTE: By double clicking an Automator application it will run, this is what you want here. To reconfigure it you must open the Automator application then open the file.

10. Watch the files move into your new local library as Automator works.

Notes: iTunes will open the last library you viewed by default. To switch libraries just hold down the option key and select a different library. iTunes will now open the newly selected library by e]default every time.

Let me know if I missed something or you need it explained a different way. Also make sure to tell me if this isn't what you need to do or if you need something different.

• 3 weeks later...

First, I wanted to check my iPod for music that might not be on the server. There are probably a few ways to do this, but I used Senuti which I found extremely easy for dragging all the music into a fresh iTunes library.

Drobo has been being a little persnickety. USB into the Macbook with USB into the Outlaw 2150 works fine (still fiddling with DAC solutions). Over wireless, it seems to unmount periodically. I think it goes to sleep and you can't wake it back up because it was not put to sleep correctly. Also, the dashboard utility doesn't work over wireless. Hook it back direct and everything gets going again, then you can go back to wireless, but it’s not something I want to do every day.

After a few rounds with Apple (they were lost, but tried) and one round with Data Robotix, I learned that the Drobo would work best with their Droboshare unit. This allows the Drobo to connect the the AEBase via ethernet and it should solve everything. Or so, I am hoping. The dashboard should work. DR suggests that Drobo not be on a USB splitter, so it currently hogs the one USB port. The Droboshare would free up the USB for the wife's wireless printing, which is a nice idea too.

Also, when streaming wireless, I am getting intermittent data flow interruptions. I think might be due to network security issues as mentioned elsewhere on the forum or possibly because the AEB was moved into a small back room near the breaker panel. A little more testing and I should be able to pin that down. It might be some type of interference.

You gotta love technology!

For some people the Drobo is the greatest thing since sliced bread and for others ...

I talked to the Drobo people about the differences between the DroboShare and using an Airport Extreme and they pretty much said to use the AE unless I have performance issues, then move to the DroboShare. I hope it solves your problems, but I am skeptical. I'm sure you checked out the Drobo community forums correct? There are a lot of people complaining on that site, but everyone without problems has no reason to post there. You might find some good info though.

Have you updated your Airport Extreme lately? I installed the latest update the other day and streaming has worked flawlessly ever since. I even brought my laptop to a part of the house where I've had problems in the past and everything worked great. You'll have to use the Airport Utility for the update.

We'll get this solution working for you!