IGNORED

Which platform provides the best playback fidelity - Audiophile Grade?

Lizard_King

I am wondering what you all feel is the best playback platform in terms of fidelity. The three choices are MS Windows on PCs/laptops, Mac Os on Macs/Mac Books and linux on PCs/laptops.

I hear some peopel belive Mac sounds best so what is teh proff, emprirical evidence? I wil be using a Laptop on an IBM Stinkpad T43 and use J. River Media Center with ASIO4all. Can Vista with no need to bypass Kmixer and use direct sound be better sounding than my intended setup?

Chris, you run a setup with Multiple Operating Systems so you are a person who can hopefully shed some light on this one?

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Lizard,

I've had both and really, I think it's more down to the components that you use and the way you set them up than simply the OS. Mac OS does feel very streamlined - it's very minimal unlike Vista which has all sorts of stuff going on in the background - though I've disabled them. I-Tunes is bit perfect out of the box and you can of course use Front Row with it - great if you're connected to a TV or using it in your lounge.

The PC route gives you a larger software base.

In a nutshell, they're both good. Maybe Chris is in a position to compare like for like - ie: his Lynx card under Mac OS vs PC. (Though I get the impression Chris was very impressed with it's operation under XP).

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Liz, drivers are often a problem with Linux. Macs typically cost more than Windows PCs. Windows PCs can blow tweeters if certain operations are performed.

I believe that most audio pros use Mac computers and that CA has determined that their Windows XP Reference Music Server provided the best audio playback fidelity. But whether you get a Mac mini, a laptop or a desktop computer running Linux, Windows XP, or Mac OS, I’m sure that one can assemble an excellent computer music server that will rival the best audio playback fidelity available. Also keep in mind that no best system is static and forever perfect, there are always improvements that can be made now or will be available later. Let your budget and needs (convenience, portability, flexibility, expandability, or reliability) be your guide.

I have been very happy with my MacBook Pro music server and I am ready to assemble the low cost CA Windows XP music server. Based solely on what I have read and not heard, I fully expect the CA Windows XP music server to provide superior audio fidelity, but only time will tell.

Thanks to both Beeb and AZ,

I am not going to run a music server like some of you. I am simply planning on connecting my laptop via a USB connecton using the Poiema!!! to my Audio Note Dac. I use XP on the laptop so I will use J. River media and also, ASIO.

I was curious f I booted to Linux if the sound could be better due to lower overhead. I was also wondering about a mac as I do not have one .

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

blown tweeters if certain operations are performed? Mild panic is starting to set in.

Panasonic PXP 42 V20; Panasonic DMP BD35; Sky+ HD Box. [br]Optical out from Asus P7H55-M into AVI ADM 9.1 speakers. [br]\"Music will provide the light you cannot resist\"[br]

????

I use Vista 32bit & Linux Ibex w/ rythmbox, the linux uses a little more volume, both sound superior to XP. See my signature, I also have a Quiet bedroom setup,XP with an Intel Pentium 4 processor, Line in to Sony HT, the speakers matter much. "Enjoy the Music"!

Vista Ultimate 32 bit/ Intel e5300 cpu/ ECS G41T-M2 mainboard/Diamond XS Dac/line-in to Insignia Amp/ Cambridge SoundWorks meets Infinity RS1001\'s