IGNORED

Are all decibels equal?

The set I listen to is a joy to listen to. It might be to big for the room it is in, but that just happened the way it did, the amp and speakers came on my way. I love to listen to my fabulous set and I never play it loud: At 80 decibels it sounds perfect with all the instruments hanging in the air, a wonderful bass and balance, everything fine. 80 decibels is generally considered a safe volume to listen to for several hours a day.

In the same room I also got a tiny airplay compatible ipod dock. I use that when I do some work on the computer and don't want to warm up the big set. At 80 decibels this sounds - of course - smaller.

The reason I ask your opinions is that since three months I have a mild tinnitus: a constant (24/7) tone in the ears due to over exposure to loud sound. It is a form of hearing damage that does not heal anymore. It can come from a lifelong build up, or from a short period of excess. Mine is mild and in a high frequency, it does not drive me up the wall and does not affect my joy in the big set.

But... of course, I don't want the tinnitus to get worse. For some people it gets so bad it ruins their live.

So are these 80 considered safe decibels from my big B&W speakers and big Mono amps that give sound that fills the room so nicely, the same decibels as the 80 decibels from the small iPod dock that sound so tiny? Is the pressure and the energy at 80 decibel (according to my iphone) the same? Or, to put it direct, are the big speakers more dangerous to my ears in a small room then smaller speakers?

What would you say?

Weerstandje

The larger speakers may be even safer, as they could be less prone to distortion and overloading, judging by how you find the same from them.

Have you tried something like GingoForte (2,000mG) 2 times a day? It has helped with my Tinnitus for years, although I recently cut back to 1 a day after reading about possible reduction of BP medication effectiveness if taken long term. Research POSSIBLE (occasional)side effects and be aware of them.Check with your GP first if on BP medication.

They will improve mental alertness too.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Is the pressure and the energy at 80 decibel (according to my iphone) the same?

Because you are using a decibel meter app on an iPhone, it is likely that an 80dB reading on your large, full-range speakers is actually louder than the same reading on your iPod dock. 80dB is a weighted average of all the frequencies, but the iPhone microphone isn't sensitive to any frequencies under 100Hz, so it won't be including the bass frequencies when measuring your large system (which your small system can't produce).

So when both systems measure 80dB on an iPhone app, it is likely that the large system is actually producing more than 80dB when the bass is taken into account.

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

It is possible that daily exposure to even 80dB for hours at a time may be hazardous if you already are experiencing the beginnings of tinnitus.

All the information I have read suggests rest of the stereocillia for extended periods after continuous exposure to constant sound exceeding perhaps as low 60dB.

The amount of noise pollution present in our world today is staggering, and often we become sensitized to these extreme deciBels but our ears are not as evolved as our psychic tolerance might be. Also this sensitization is part of the ears self-protection mechanisms kicking in.

Take a break from high levels of sound. I do, frequently.

The time/pressure suggested guidelines for sound exposure are merely that, suggestions. Learn what ear fatigue feels like. Then listen to your ears when they say "I need a rest."