IGNORED

Yes Fragile on HD Ttracks

I look forward to hearing your comparison of the (I am sure DVD A sourced) HDtracks download of "Fragile" vs. the MoFi remaster. I have the MoFi, and feel it is really good, as I often do with their work.

Hoping the 24/96 is even better! The DVD-A goes for a lot of money these days...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Harry. I am especially interested, as a big fan of this album, and of the (very good) MoFi re-master.

This is one of those cases where the high res is going to come from a different master, and the MoFi re-master is ( subjectively of course) very, very good. Will the benefits of high res trump the benefits of the (16/44.1) MoFi Re-master. One thing is certain, there will be differences!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I have the DVD Audio and its outstanding. I've, however, only listened to it in 5.1. For some reason, I always have trouble trying to extract a 24/96 FLAC file using DVD Extractor. I've found that some DVD-A's are extracted no problem while others continue to give me fits(this, Workingman's Dead, Emmylou Harris' Producer's Cut). It seems like all of this DVD-A's eventually make it to HD Tracks(generally a good thing).

Esau

probably 6-7 times between 1971-1974 including first row at their Fragile premier at Akron Civic Theater, Dec 3, 1971, did whole album!!! with the best looking girl in HS at my side....THAT was a good day!). :)

I own the DVD-A of Fragile (since day one). The 5.1 mix is very nice (Cans and Brahms deep end is enormous), sometimes a little gimmicky (5% for nothing), but a great listen. The 2 channel is good, but not why I got the DVD-A.

Here is Roundabout via Audacity (2 channel DVD-A 24/96 rip). Pretty good energy above 30-35kk.

roundabout.jpg

Thanks, that is good news. Have you compared with the MoFi?

I do not go back quite as far as you, really would've loved to see the Relayer tour...

Yes at Madison Square Garden for the Going For The One tour, was still quite memorable...Heart of the Sunrise is embedded in my memory forever.

SONORE computer audio

Looking at the HD Tracks website I see that the Fragile download, though Including the original album intact, does not include the bonus track that appears on the DVD-A, that being Yes' version of the Simon and Garfunkel tune, "America." In 5.1 that track is something else again, and the musical arrangement is spectacular.

Esau

from a buddy and report back.

By the way, Close To The Edge was mixed for 5.1 but the DVD-A has never surfaced to this day. Kinda like Beach Boys Surf's Up!! :(

Quick Yes story: probably one of my most eclectic concert lineups I'd been to. Akron Rubber Bowl (outdoors), August 11 1972. Eagles (little known, Witchy Woman was slight hit) led off, then Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin (amazing performance, just amazing) then Yes comes out and debuts Close To the Edge. My buddy and i taped it (never did before or since) on a little Aiwa tape recorder. By the time the album was released (30 days later) we knew the whole album!! Ah, youth wasted on the young!

Ted, that must have been some afternoon/evening.

Huge Johnny Mac fan as well here. As he is a "Jazz" guy and tours a lot, I have probably seen him play more times than anyone else.

I know the Yes guys were higly influenced by the Mahavishnu Orchestra, part of the result being Sound Chaser, the opening section of which may be some of the most complex music in the rock idiom.

Hearing CTTE for the first time must have been quite an experience...

SONORE computer audio

re-released as SACDs. IMHO, that's a bit of a mistake. Why do an additional DSD transfer from PCM when you already have (in some cases OOP, I realize) the PCM transfers without any additional work. if they are OOP, just re-release the damn DVD-Audio discs. I mean, nothing against DSD, but the extra step seems that it would be detrimental theoretically, given the choices.

I use to just love triple header shows like that. Though not on the same quality or diversity level of your example I remember several shows with a mash up of The James Gang, REO, ZZ Top, Thin Lizzy, KISS (who were the opening act in one those shows), and others. Man those kind of shows were a blast. Going back a few years at the state fair was a John Hammond, Dr. John and Keb Mo were a blast to see.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

ted_b said "Yeah, all those WBG DVD-Audio discs are being re-released as SACDs. IMHO, that's a bit of a mistake. Why do an additional DSD transfer from PCM when you already have (in some cases OOP, I realize) the PCM transfers without any additional work. if they are OOP, just re-release the damn DVD-Audio discs. I mean, nothing against DSD, but the extra step seems that it would be detrimental theoretically, given the choices."

Warner Bros. USA quit DVD-Audio just as Universal players were coming out. Now Universal players play everything from BluRay, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, etc. and new DVD-Audios are extremely rare. The record companies gave up on DVD-Audio way too soon IMHO.

I agree if you are using the DVD-Audio high resolution PCM master why not release as DVD-Audio instead of SACD thus less conversions. Analog-PCM is better than Analog-PCM-DSD. Also these should be released by Warner Bros. USA NOT by Warner Bros. Japan as the price would be about 1/3 less. Warner Bros. DVD-Audios retailed for $17.99 and could be purchased on the web for $13.99 back when they were in print. I would rather have 3 USA made DVD-Audios than 1 Japanese SACD.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Glad to hear it sounds good. But as usual, HDT says nothing about the source of their recording.

As for me, I'd really like a hi-res version of Close to the Edge - that's my favorite.

Hopefully this means it will be coming soon.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

As for me, I'd really like a hi-res version of Close to the Edge - that's my favorite.

Hopefully this means it will be coming soon.

Does it exist ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I know everyone is assuming that Fragile came out just b/c there was already a DVD-A; I tend to think that must be right.

Let's put it this way, even if a hi-res version of CTTE doesn't exist yet, I'm sure one will come out if the Fragile release makes a reasonable amount of money.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I would not count on that ...

If I only saw completely NEW "productions" pass by on HDTracks, it would be another matter (meaning new HiRes remasters of something which didn't exist before on e.g. DVD-A).

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I have listened to the HDT and MF offerings this morning, back to back, twice. So that’s four portions. Did I say how much I like this album? I also did a few hop overs to compare brief segments but I don’t tend to do this too much, preferring to just sit back and listen.

I converted the flac files to wav. It doesn’t always make a difference but on balance I prefer wav for reasons I can’t really explain. There are subtle differences between the HDT and MF albums but it is not huge – which I suppose is a good thing and suggests a lack of mucking about with the HiDef files. The HD files are a tad louder – not maxed. It’s a bit tricky to describe and will probably be different for all of us. The HD version is a little more open. The bass plays slightly fleeter and there are a few brief moments when you can hear a bit more neck work. Vocals are slightly more separated and on South Side Of The Sky this is noticeable to good effect, but again not a night and day difference.

The slightly increased openness lets the faintest trace of more guitar texture through in places but as any who know this album well will be aware, there is a fair bit of hash in places and this also gets an increased edge. My first impression was increased treble emphasis. But a few brief comparisons of “test passages” showed that there was in fact no difference in sibilance and leading edges. They were just slightly better defined and separated, not emphasised as such.

Everyone in this house is a Yes fan (all two of us) and we have collected the various releases down the years. This one is an addition I’m happy to have and will be my default source. My wife said she could hear some differences along the lines I described but she would be happy with either because they are both very good efforts. The Rhino remaster wasn’t at all a bad effort either, but the MF and HDT versions are ahead of it. I haven’t heard the DVDA.

If your mouse finger is twitching you won’t end up with a dog. If you have the MF CD and are not desperate for yet another version of Fragile I’d say you’re already sitting pretty.

Insert subjectivity disclaimer here.

Allman Brothers Fillmore East: a third to my 24/96 Classic records vinyl rip and MFSL CD

Gaucho: little difference to my SHM-CD

Let it Bleed: 24/176 version a total waste. My CD from the SACD/CD remasters is just as good.

Fragile: I've got the MF already. I'm done.

I was hoping for huge differences in these releases. HDT needs to step it up somehow. Tommy was really good from them but..........

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain